Is diy in 2024 worth it?

So i want a board that can exchange batteries easily, so that i can carry them around in my backpack. So i can do some stupid stuff like 100 miles in a day. Also would like a board that can sit comfortably in the 30s and have a top speed of around 40.

Currently i only have 2 other boards, zealot S and an ecomoble et. Both fun, but i want alot more power ofc out of the next one too.

Ive sketched out a diy build (trampa deck, trampa IR trucks((i think they are cheaper for a set then the apex airs)), flipsky 63100s, undecided on which esc, bms and switch from flipsky also, and undecided on remote and reciever, diy 12s2p (6s5000mah rc batteries in series paralell) but this is a about 2400.

The problem is an acedeck nyx z3 has simialr performance for around the same price and it has a defect warranty.

Is it worth it to build your own diy esk8 in 2042 or is it bettery to buy a dope pre built?

3 Likes

The short answer is yes it is still worth it. You can get it exactly as you want it.

When that is said, there are more and more pre built out there that goes a long way.

If you want to have range so you can go 100 miles I would suggest to build a big battery that can also handle charging with lots of amps. I have a long distant cruiser that takes me 100km in one charge. Normally I ride 80km and then charges. I can charges it up in one hour and ten minutes.

Carrying batteries in your backpack sounds like a less optimal solution in my ears. Depending on circumstances of course.

9 Likes

+1 for this

i did the extra battery in my backpack thing with my backfire g3 when i first started out and it worked but anything heavier battery wise in a backpack would ruin the experience. now i have a board with a massive battery that i can get 50 miles out of on pneumatics and charge in 2 hours.

5 Likes

I guess we’ll find out in 18 years.

But right now in 2024, it depends what your goals are. If your goal is saving money, then run as far away from DIY as you can. If your goal is very high performance, then you don’t need DIY either. Skyart and Bioboards (and others) exist. If your goal is to have a custom vehicle that is exactly what you want it to be, and you don’t mind spending a lot of effort and money, then DIY will be your best friend.

Also “used DIY” is a thing that many don’t consider. Buying a used vehicle and slightly modifying it can be cheaper and faster.

10 Likes

Not worth it for 99.99% of people. There is a trade war happening right now and the results are very cheap and powerful esk8s. Take advantage while you can.

We’re all here because we already got hooked on diy and can’t help ourselves

12 Likes

Speak for yourself I’m here willingly

4 Likes

Worth it is subjective depending on the goal and the individual just like building or modifying anything custom. Esk8, cars, bikes, boats, computers, patio furniture… anything really can fall into this.

But speaking to the hot swap idea. Railcore is an interesting approach to it from BKB that might be worth looking at.

2 Likes

Twice now I’ve bought prebuilt both required DIY before 6 months had passed. It’s the reality of owning these things.

I say lean into it and buy a reasonably priced prebuilt with intent to modify it eventually. It feels better to upgrade your broken things than to replace them.

1 Like

Diy really is a pain in the ass, but there is no feeling like the feeling of not being able to blame anyone else when you streetface cause you built that shit :rofl:

Really though, the customizability if youre willing to put in the time, work, and money is unmatched. The amount of cool shit here is crazy

2 Likes

The question you have to ask yourself is less about if it’s worth it, if you’re looking at spec sheet performance per dollar pre built boards are pretty nearly unbeatable under the $2000 mark. So performance per dollar? No DIY isn’t worth it.
But what do you value in a board?

These days a pre built will get you out and riding with solid performance for cheap.

Building a DIY will teach you a lot and allow you to develop some useful skills and eventually you get out and riding.

5 Likes

Rather build one large battery instead of several smaller packs to swap out, it makes discharge power less important, Samsung 50S or Molicel P45B are the best options.

A Lacroix nazare deck which you can get used cheap here would be great at covering distance bc it’s big and split angles.

1 Like

If you want to ride stupid distances, then you’re not in the centre of the bell curve when it comes to what you want, the retail stuff isn’t going to be perfect.

Warranty sucks too. You want to sort it yourself by having spare parts at arm’s reach already.

If you’re a tight prick like me, look for a good deal on used gear, including recycled lithium cells by the thousands. If you’re creative, there are plenty of ways to utilise them. Then keep buying every bargain you come across, like it’s your main purpose in life. Eventually you’ll save thousands.

2 Likes

Diy is a disease…

7 Likes

DIY is worth it if you enjoy building things. If you are not crafty with tools, DIY might be pretty miserable.

It’s a lot of work, but it’s incredible satisfying riding something that you dreamed up and created with your own two hands.

5 Likes

I don’t see anyone selling me a 50mph+ top speed and 1600N+ of torque, prebuilt board.

Being able to build something exactly you want is the reason I go DIY.

9 Likes

Also, when it dies, and it will. You will be able to fix it easily. This gives me an enormous boost of confidence/less stress while riding

7 Likes

The fit and finish on relatively, inexpensive boards from China is pretty impressive, but the only thing I wish diy had was better remote options… The Onsra, Backfire that allow similar throttle and brake customization as a vesc ( I realize not nearly as sophisticated but still about 90% what most want) and now exway rolling out a remote that can control turn signals with wrist motions has me pretty envious. Other than that, with diy I can build whatever I want and not relying on anyone else or proprietary parts to fix it is worth it to me.

2 Likes

I used to build fpv racing drones and raced a little in multiGP, and am a full time subaru tech, so i am up for the challenge of diy esk8. What would you reccomend as an esc and or motors(if not the flipsky63100) that can really rip and get to the high 40s(mph) if im really pushing it.

One problem is that besided stooge boards, i dont know of any decks that can actually handle near 50 mph. Ive heard that trampa doesnt do well near 40. Do you know of any boards that are solid enough to handle high speeds and scary corners?

A nomad n3 or nyx z3 is very tempting. But i think i would prefer a diy.

I sure hope so! I just started a build; with a second in the back of my mind.

2 Likes

Radium Mach 1 does 75km/h off the shelf and has enough torque to satisfy any of my needs at any part of the band… not easily obtained until mid 24 though i think

2 Likes