Is diy in 2024 worth it?

I used to build fpv racing drones and raced a little in multiGP, and am a full time subaru tech, so i am up for the challenge of diy esk8. What would you reccomend as an esc and or motors(if not the flipsky63100) that can really rip and get to the high 40s(mph) if im really pushing it.

One problem is that besided stooge boards, i dont know of any decks that can actually handle near 50 mph. Ive heard that trampa doesnt do well near 40. Do you know of any boards that are solid enough to handle high speeds and scary corners?

A nomad n3 or nyx z3 is very tempting. But i think i would prefer a diy.

I sure hope so! I just started a build; with a second in the back of my mind.

2 Likes

Radium Mach 1 does 75km/h off the shelf and has enough torque to satisfy any of my needs at any part of the band… not easily obtained until mid 24 though i think

2 Likes

there are plenty plenty, it just depends on stiffness

i’ve done mid-high 40s on a 14 ply trampa deck no problem and it’s stable

decks aren’t the only factor to speed, there’s trucks, bushing setup, tour rider skill, road conditions, etc

4 Likes

lemme intorduce you to😁

SKP

5 Likes

I don’t recommend even seriously considering what ESC and motors to use until you’ve nailed down other things, like deck, enclosure, and battery

2 Likes

I have been prototyping with a quick-ish swap top mount battery box on mountainboards. With this option my case can hold a 18s4p or 12s6p. Nothing is stopping the system from working with a larger or smaller Apache/Peli case though. If you’re interested in a high end Mountainboard, it might be in your interest. They’re capable of 6-7 kW pretty easily.

3 Likes

I cant seem to find that many electric longboard batteries that would fit in a storage box ontop of a trampa (18ply 9/73 big boi). Ofc there is diy building a battery oit of 6s 6000mah batteries. Which doesnt seem that bad. Where do you get molicel batteries?

And has anyone built an 18s out of 3x 6s rc batteries?

I believe @Yeahthatperson usually uses 3x 6s graphene batteries like these:

Wired into a BMS for the ability to charge without a balance charger.

3 Likes

Yeah, if you’re going to go that route make sure you use a BMS for charging
Nothing is more lame than taking your board apart (and breaking waterproof seals, if present) every time you need to charge your board

3 Likes

Ehh, you get used to it. It’s keeping the lipos healthy that’s most annoying.

I bet you drive a car that needs the engine taken out every time you get gas

If I only drove my car as a hobby and the engine cost half as much as one you don’t have to remove, then yes, totally.

1 Like

DiY is always worth it if you want something truly your own. There are some amazing production boards out there which are cheaper than building a unique long range DiY. If you want less of a headache with building then get a production board and have the safety of a warranty.

Both of my DiY long range boards (90km+ approx average range) cost over $5000aud each. 12s8p LG M50LT’s 21700 cells and 18s5p molicel p42a 21700 cells.
The only downside at first of a long range board is the weight, they’re not light by any means so be prepared.

Is DiY worth it in my opinion and experiences? Hell fucking yeah.

4 Likes

No fucking joke about the weight. 18s8p is a tank, but I almost never have to carry it. I just ride there lol.

I must be a sadist because I’ve had to carry my 12s8p board 4km and I found it enjoyable haha.

18s8p would be brutal!

1 Like

I get right around 80 miles of range, only ever had to carry it up or down a flight of stairs. Everything else is under power lol

1 Like

2 Likes

Yup those batteries and a BMS because it gets exhausting. Opening it up every time to charge it. Especially if you’re going to go do rides and go to bars and shit… Popping open your board and hooking up a bunch of lipos. Looks a little bit ridiculous :rofl: But more than the ridiculous look. I really just like to convenience of being able to plug in and charge.

Advice does. If you do get one, make sure you get one with a high charge amperage just so you can charge as much as you want because light bows can charge a hell of a lot faster

5 Likes

Did you just use a panel from a Chick Tract?
That is definitely something I didn’t think I’d see today.

Regarding DIY, it has its ebb and flow. My Eskate is a Proto that I put together from the old DIY kit, and I love that board more than any other eskate. The attachment to it is very real, and I get a lot of joy from it.

Similarly, it was DIY that reinvigorated my love for one wheels, since after the GT released I was sorely disappointed and pretty disillusioned. I’ve since made tens of DIY onewheels and more batteries for them than I can easily count, and it’s been very rewarding seeing that grow. I’ve built myself 3 different boards at this point, and I don’t think I could happily ride a non DIY Onewheel again. I’ve gotten accustomed to making something that suits what I think it should be like.

Lastly, I started learning guitar a couple years ago, and the only one I play is the Telecaster I put together from parts. I learned to do the electronics wiring, auditioned some pickups and necks, learned to do fretwork, and spent a few weeks putting it together. I had guidance from a friend who’s got a lot of expertise and when I was done he told me some things I missed and also that it was a solid feeling instrument that played well.

Learning on it now feels great, I get joy from it. And I get joy from the things in my home that I am able to fix myself.

The Eskate thing ended up being sort of an incidental of just wanting to find feelings of accomplishment instead of something being a more walkabout thing.

I can’t DIY everything, but I find joy in what little I can.

8 Likes