is 12s to risky?

so I got a filpsky 4.12 vesc and it says it can do 12s but says to stay in the 10s range and if It could handle it is gonna say screw it and get a backfire 12s battery (been considering a 12s lipo setup as well) but if not I was just gonna stick to the 10s any help is greatly appreciated :smile:

A lot of risk depends on how hard you run it. If you keep it to 15A battery current per motor and run BLDC commutation, it will probably never break. (If you win the Flipsky QC dice roll, anyway) If you set it to 50A battery current and run FOC mode with high motor currents then you will probably break it straight away. It’s not as simple as just “it works or it doesn’t” and usually that comes with a hidden, unsaid disclaimer of “if running at high power levels”. Of course, higher power levels are more fun…

And then there’s the Flipsky QC lottery … they often ship garbage that will break no matter what you do, and they are bad players in the community in general. Best to avoid the company.

2 Likes

I almost went 14S on a flipsky 6.7.

If you run lower voltage you can get away with more amps on a VESC so you probably wouldn’t lose much power with 10S. You can get FSESC 4.12 here really cheap so just choose batteries based on the batteries not the VESC.

yea had a feeling about the settings bit but definitely nervous on the 50/50 of getting a decent 4.12 or a trash one. the budget on this build isn’t the highest so to my knowledge the 4.12 was my best bet (again that’s if it doesn’t crap out on me)

This would be my advice if you want it to last.

1 Like

I would get battery based on the deck and enclosure and then get the ESC after that

3 Likes

Makes sense it just sounded like OP already had some parts. I am bad at choosing parts in the right order I was completely backwards lol I had wheels-drivetrain-ESCs-120 cells with no home-deck+enc-helmet.