Introducing the BKB Xenith

Had the same issue my remote connected with the 85% setting ramped to top speed and since the remote can’t do anything I had to turn the board off cause it would automatically do that I honestly don’t know what’s happening with the xeniths hopefully it’s user error honestly

1 Like

It’s VERY likely not a hardware problem.

1 Like

Who knows honestly

It sounds extremely unlikely to be a hardware problem, I second @Venom121212

1 Like

No one knows but the facts are pretty clear:

The xenith is just a unity with different connectors and a reshaped heat sink running a different firmware than the old unitys ran but still a current one that old unities can still run.

A user programming them is where the real differences pop up.

3 Likes

Many users have complained about this many times. dont think its an issue for vedder cause he cant see any other BLE devices from franks basement.

its not, you just list them in order of discovery so new items add to he bottom of the list.

previous discussion on this with @Deodand and @Trampa here

5 Likes

I might have missed it, but did we exclude it wasn’t the firmware thing yet?

Jared emailed him a bit ago and told him to “drop duty cycle current limit start” to 85% (like I did) and he tried it again and it works now.

Maybe Jared’s just straight magic?

I suspect he didn’t can forward his settings the first time around and was only half set up.

7 Likes

I mean the same firmware that goes into the unity goes into the Xenith right if so than it’s hardware cause the same firmware that went into my unity went into my Xenith and the unity worked fine and the Xenith didnt so idk what to say

Technically yes, but it doesn’t hurt to double check everything. Afterall, u r riding a machine that can kill u.

1 Like

Not exactly.

The unity came out before FW 5.1 was introduced and a lot of unities are still running a version of FW called 23.46. This was the unities own branch of vesc software, specifically for the unity.

Enertion went down financially so the unity no longer had a dev team supporting it.

BUT, when FW 5.1 came out, it was made for devices with similar architecture as the unity so the unity can run current 5.1 FW

This doesn’t mean every unity runs that version. This is why it is important to specify many details on what you are running and not just the device names.

7 Likes

Yep; to use an analogy, it’s like talking about your pair of Dell Precision M6800 workstations, but failing to mention one is running Windows 10 and the other is running Ubuntu 20.04…

5 Likes

So your saying if I click update on Vesc tool with my unity and click update on Vesc tool with the Xenith they will be different versions?

No, I’m saying if you used the Unity app to update your Unity, it could be on other firmware versions (i.e. 23.46) than the xenith (5.1)

1 Like

Just look at your firmware version (examples: 5.2 or 23.46) and your tool name (examples: VESC Tool, variESC Tool, ESC Tool, FOCBOX_UI). What does it say?

Versions that start with 23.x are not going to be comparable to versions starting with 4.x or 5.x

1 Like

Not sure if that’s the right place to ask, but Xenith is still a Unity :slight_smile:
Is there some important reason to run 5.2 instead of latest Unity firmware? (FOC, Dual 6374, 10s if it matters)

2 Likes

It depends what you want.

If you only want the wheels to spin, then 23.46 is okay.

But if something doesn’t work and you need to troubleshoot, or if you want to use almost any modern features or devices, then you’ll probably want to use 5.2 from either VESC Tool or variESC Tool.

6 Likes

Just to clarify (I’m not up on the firmware timeline), sounds like 23.XX is a Unity/Enertion branch and 5.X is the official Vedder branch?

4 Likes

Bingo Trogdor!

4 Likes

3 Likes