Introduce Yourself and Share Your Plans (SERIOUS)

Welcome, man. Hope you love the new board!

3 Likes

Hi, I am Ivan from Serbia. For the last 6 years I have been living in Stockholm, working as a developer. Started thinking about el scooter as commuting option. My wife bought M365 Pro and I was like: You take the scooter and I will build an esk8, since I already started reading about it on builders forum and I had a longboard. I thought I will just need few extra parts and few weeks, haha. It took me about a year to figure out what I need and how to build it. Today I had my second test ride around the city and it was awesome, but it is still not ready for daily commuting. Board is now back on table for service. I should create my first build thread now. Thank you all for great help!

6 Likes

Welcome, man. Great to hear you’re a two PEV household. Increasingly, I see esk8 addicts getting their SO on an ebike, EUC or scooter and joining in on the fun.

Looking forward to seeing what you came up with!

4 Likes

Can someone write one for me

1 Like

Hi guys, my name is Chris, from NYC. I just joined the eskate community and am really excited, it’s quickly becoming a new passion. Have been looking for awhile for a new hobby to get engaged with and this has been doing the trick. Happy to be on here.

Over the Spring I decided I wanted to get into longboarding, then decided it was super dangerous to longboard in the city without a breaking system, which led me to finding out about the Revel kit. Since I received that in April, I cannot stop riding and it has turned into my primary source of transport and fun.

Next I bought a metroboardX that I’m waiting for, but before I went with that I was back/forth between getting a bioboard or a metroboard, couldn’t justify spending so much on a board (after VAT it’s extremely expensive, at least to me for a single board) but still had the evo in the back of my mind.

So now I am building 2 evo’s, one 36" falcon and one 40" falcon. The 36 will be built out first and I will use that as a dev/test board, primarily not to mess up on the 40. Here I will focus on the 36, and for that board I will be using:

• eBoosted 36" Falcon Enclosure [waiting to receive]
  • TB 75KV DD’s [have]
  • 10S4P Battery [have]
  • MakerX Dual VESC [waiting to receive] (may use a flipsky FSESC6.6 if makerx VESC doesn’t arrive in the right timeframe, or stormcore (will purchase next batch))
  • MakerX AntiSpark Switch [waiting to receive]
  • Hoyt Puck Remote [have]
  • Davega Live Telemetry Screen [waiting for it to be built]

Can’t wait to have it done!

7 Likes

Welcome, man. Nice plans out of the gate. Look forward to seeing more.

2 Likes

Hi Ivan, nice to have you around.
:handshake:

2 Likes

Welcome! Both times I ordered a MakerX, I got them in ~2 weeks. The one has been solid so far at reasonable limits and the other one is ~1 week from being in a functioning build

3 Likes

Mine I see was just picked up by DHL yesterday :pray:I appreciate hearing that, and thank you! :- )

1 Like

Hello,

My name is Keith a near Boomer working on a project for me (Golf Cart) and a longboard conversion for my Son (Gen ‘Z’ so naturally I’m doing all the grunt work!)
Not sure what images I am able to post as a noob so bear with me.

I purchased from Maytech:
4x 6374 90KV motors;

2x MTSKR1712 remote;

2x MTVESC100A; (Skateboard)

2x MTSVESC6.0 VESC6 based controller (Golf Cart)

2x pulleys and belts;

I’m using 2 x Turnigy 5 cell 5000mah 20C Lipo batteries in series (10S1P) for the golf cart.
I’m using 30 Samsung Q30 li-On batteries configured 10S3P with a BMS and charge port for the longboard.

I have to say the steel mounts sent by Maytech are not much use but they should suffice until my son either learns how to eskate or breaks a bone or two trying (loving caring Dad!). Either way, I get a bit of lag time to source some better quality mounts and some proper kegel pulley kits. His journey all started with busting my balls for a boosted board and thank God I resisted and embarked on the journey of self building!

My main issue is probably my age - Almost a Boomer - and the associated difficulty of grasping computer terminology/configuration speak/electronics vernacular. As a former heating engineer, I have reasonable tools skills, including electrical, but struggle with software and firmware matters.

I’ve purchased a Gold version of the Vedder Vesc tool and THEN learned I needed Windows or Linux to run it and I have neither in my Apple household. I do however have a work Android phone and spent some more $$ purchasing the App only to find out I didn’t have bluetooth modules on either of my projects - Oh the value of hindsight :crazy_face:

I did manage to find a version of the vesc tool by Ackmaniac on an eskate forum and managed to get both rigs somewhat configured. Acceleration and braking is crazy aggressive, so much so the braking on the longboard makes it impossible to ride (More about that in a minute).

I’ve done a ton of reading and research around the issue of throttle and braking curves in my failed attempts to soften said braking and acceleration. No matter what settings I put in, including limits on ‘min current’ and ‘max regen current’ I’m still out to lunch as far as conquering that significant issue. I AM able to ride the golf cart rig with the violent brakes and acceleration and provide an emense amount of entertainment for my fellow golfers as I try to control what can feel like a wild bull at times!

The latest issue with my son’s board is the Slave vesc is no longer connecting to my laptop. I’m using both the supplied USB cables from Maytech which worked originally and still work on my golf cart rig, but this one vesc just will NOT connect? Hopefully an image below will show the two situations of available connections when I access the connection tab on the vesc tool.

I guess that’s where my current and main issue is right now, is trying to connect both the vescs successfully to the vesc tool and get the braking fixed enough that my son doesn’t get launched into a parked pickup truck when trying to apply the brakes (an event he has already achieved in the past on a bicycle on a steep hill and NOT applying brakes!!)

Will now try and put an image or two on so here goes…
D’oh! It says I can’t put an image on a post (Probably because I’m a noob?)

1 Like

You are right all around. You’ll need to be a bit higher in trust level here to post photos. What are your braking current settings set at? Throttle curve will be hard to describe without a picture but should be linear, polynomial, etc and a percentage value.

Thanks for donating to the vesc project. :slight_smile: sorry they don’t officially support osx. we should all go linux one day anyway.

note that our @rpasichnyk has compiled various vesc_tool for the mac and released them here:

( because it’s QT, software framework, based it’s mostly cross platform… )

1 Like

In addition to throttle and braking curves.
the PPM app also has positive and negative ramping time settings you can mess with. ( assuming ackmaniac isn’t too old to support that? )

I would also ensure the PPM remote is calibrated correctly. [ vesc-tool -> “app settings” -> “ppm” -> “mapping”. and enable RTAPP on right button bar. “real time app data” ]. you can then visualize what kind of signal you’re getting from the MTSVESC6.0

this likely isn’t the thread for debugging though. ask questions in Noob Questinos thread. or start. a deep debug topic on your own issues.

@Venom121212 I have the braking currents set at -30A and I tried Vedder’s suggestion of -24% and 0% ExpoNatural as well as trying Polynomial AND Natural but they all performed the same - sharp and aggressive. I messed around with those curves in each and every direction and the only effect I caused was on the golf cart rig. I reduced the actual torque in the motors that it was unable to carry me, even on the flat cart path.
You guys have been so remarkable already that I have two vesc tools to go try on my trusty MacBook :nerd_face:

@fessyfoo I did go and change the ramping settings to slow the reaction time a bit and I did feel that helped a bit when it came to pulling away smoother from a standing start. Sadly it didn’t do anything for the mental braking. That other thing you suggested I do with RTAPP sounds fascinating and as soon as I have my grubby its on a set of bluetooth modules, I shall be all over it - Thank you. Tried the noob question and got directed here to get started and I am totally cool with all the advice you guys send my way.

1 Like

yeah you did good. :slight_smile:

in noob thread you said Hi and introduced yourself. so they sent you here. :slight_smile:

HI. welcome. :slight_smile:

Pictures of the situation where the Master IS detected but the Slave is not. I am ordering the Bluetooth modules tonight and have some interesting communication going between me and the lovely Eileen at Maytech who has always been super helpful.

yeah. in the second osx isn’t seeing it as a usb serial device. so if you’re plugged into it with the same cable that worked for the first vesc. I’d guess the second vesc has an issue.

bluetooth module will require you to get into the config via usb and set the app to uart or ppm & uart. and set the baud rate on the uart to match match the bluetooth module. (though that’s usually the default on newer ones. 115200 ) but likely you need to get in via usb to get that working.

@fessyo that sounds like an insurmountable problem? Yikes!

I have another issue to work on now after shredding this (cheap) tyre on the cart path this morning :frowning:

I’ve noticed that 9" wheels are about as big as most boards go, and my little golf cart project is a little odd, but if anyone knows of some decent 10" all terrain wheels and tyres I could chase down, I would of course continue to be both amazed and grateful.

1 Like

I’m a total noob… Jumped on a boosted after not skating since highschool(15+ years) and instantly found my summer fun/get by to winter(25y snowboarder). It was quite eye opening.

Couple years on booosteds/metro single drive. Dropped that shit(keeping metro on Rayne deck). Got ZEALOT with g3+ carbon deck, been solid for 250 miles. I’m pretty generic, like to carve deep around 20-25mph, and kick it up upper 20s for the occasionally adrenaline rush. So a commuter and a shorty is perfect for my likes. Lost bones and road rash has reinforced my needs with fear.

Ordered a Bkb tayto duel kit in June to dip my toes in DIY(always hated proprietary anything…). Wanting a longer deck than the Tayto, I have a Moonshine Sidekick w/eboardsperu Enclosure coming to throw the BKB guts in.
I’m handy with my hands(:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) and tools and have an eye for detail from work(high end tile installer) and being neurotic… I’m not scared of the build(s), but programming is a bit overwhelming(but I’m down to put in the time to learn).
I have many questions, but y’all have so many answers already laid out there, so I’ll use the search function to its fullest b4 I go noobing it up.
Thank y’all for all the info you have available here. Hopefully I wont bug you much and mybe even contribute something worthwhile.
:v:

10 Likes