Introduce Yourself and Share Your Plans (SERIOUS)

Hi everyone,
I have been riding eboards for 2 years. Both my boards are teamgee. I know they are trash.
I have most recently decided to build my own board.
I am here to try and learn as much as possible about this so I don’t make any mistakes. :slight_smile:

14 Likes

Welcome! What kind of board are you looking to build?

2 Likes

Hi everyone,
My name is Val, and I’ve been lurking on the forum for some time now but never introduced myself. Im a mid 30s babyface Masters of Finance student at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. Within the 5-6 years that I’ve been riding, I’ve put together two boards that I’m proud of, and that often get a lot of attention from laypeople. I consider them my MVPs.
I’d like to build off my rudimentary understanding of design and assebly to see if I can create a product people are willing to buy. I look up to the builders in this forum that create their own decks, enclosures, batteries, esc’s, trucks, wheels, lights or remotes. I’d very much so interested in diving deeper into the hobby through building in small batches, but wonder about value proposition of custom boards against some of these new production boards. Maybe I could sell locally.
Either way, I’m obsessed with riding, and spend so much time in ideation of esthetics for future builds. I have two more builds in mind.

11 Likes

Maybe @monsterbuilder can share some.

Hey guys! I’m Pasha, been on the forum for awhile, just reading up on everything I could😁 I work in construction by trade at the moment, but been riding skateboards/longboards for years. Stumbled on the old forum somehow by accident and saw @IDEA build, the 128km one, and just fell in love with esk8! Love to tinker with the boards and just modifying them, and this place has so much info and awesome people! Thought I’d finally introduce myself :joy:

16 Likes

Hi I’m Astrid and my current plans are to finally fix my homemade scootboard check it out here (I smoked the ESC on the first run)
I’m also trying to fix my electric longboard which currently has some loose motor mounts.
I also just bought a mountian board I’m gonna convert in the “near” future

5 Likes

I am building something similar. I begged Big Ben to dig out the mold, and free up some time for a double decker enclosure. Not the huge one. I will use 18650s and plan a 12s 7p. May be able to squeeze in a 12s 8p. Give him a jingle and beg for another while he is at it, he may buckle. Only thing is, you may not be able to mount drop thru without scraping the box. His are the best ad ONLY hummie double available. Dont do like I did, and use a box that will not be watertight due to not being made especially for the board. You will likely need to use pneumies to clear height.

I am new to a performance board build. I built a 10s6p with drop deck and pneumies to commute. It was limited on speed and torque, has quite a bit of sag as the cells are 10a. It served its purpose perfectly.

So, I am building a hummie with double good box. 12s 7p, d100s, bN 270s, fs6384s 170 and 4.6 gear drives. Meep cyclone racing wheels.

I had limited range which I will now rectify. I dont plan on going much faster or take off too much faster, but desire performance capability.

Built a somewhat high performance full sus emtb but criminals make them rather useless for anything but exercise. The board is allowed into any store or restaurant.

I am going to try to not use heatsink, as they collect a lot of heat in the summer. I got some panel mount usbs soes I can tune without removing the box.

1 Like

Huh?

1 Like

I live in the high desert, and the temp on the tarmac is likely 165 degrees. If you have a heatsink facing that tarmac, it will overheat a loafing vesc.

After all, step on a crack, break your mamas back. etc. etc. So I try to stay on the sidewalk, white.
With this board, I hope to keep up with the roadrunners.

Meepo, meepo!!

Maybe u need to locate a heatsink on the top of the deck… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I did think of that, but I hate dirtboards.

I’m trying to understand this scientifically. Surely the radiant heat would heat up your enclosure just as easily & whatever heatsink is built into the ESC. At a standstill this has merit but on the move there is airflow & shade which would more than compensate?:man_shrugging: I live in a temperate climate so maybe I don’t understand but it’s not something I’ve heard of before.

Hey water cooled heatsink possibilities!!!

3 Likes

yEAH, MOVING IS NOT HELPFUL, UNLESS YOU MOVE INTO SHADE. Not only will it heat throttle, but the range is whacked to minimum. In fact, I was afraid that the battery was damaged.

The enclosure is fiberglass, and also has insulation inside. The contained atmosphere will indeed slowly heat as well. So, any trips I take in summer, must be short in duration, or I must rest in shade periodically. Best to stay off the street entirely.

Now I have heard that the heatsinks are not even that effective unless they are designed specifically for that vesc. REally most of the effectiveness is in mass. AS we see, the heatsinks designed for boards are thick, with very short fins. And so, the attached heatsink on the vesc, which is an alum box affords that mass. I may dam the battery portion of the enclosure to wall off the vesc heat.

If someone cared enough, a scoop could be installed both front and rear on top, that would drop any water before passing it thru enclosure.

There are materials that are good at rejecting radiant heat. I may look into them as well.

Also, I may make a bubblewrap aluminized blanket to place over box when I go anywhere in summer.

3 Likes

That’s a tricky problem for sure, trying to keep a hot component below ambient temps. Sounds like it basically needs an active system, no?

Old fashioned cars used to have “air conditioners” (actually swamp coolers) that evaporated water in a venturi tube kinda like a carburetor. Maybe that system, or any other kind of artificial “sweat” could be miniaturized for your purpose with a 3d printer. No power required aside from airflow, just top off a little water tank before you ride.

1 Like

so, that was your first mistake

3 Likes

A peltier cooler would work, but it would take power.

You are kinda rude when you follow and troll me.

I think you are over thinking this, vesc is perfectly fine working at 60c+

I totally get what you’re saying. The heatsinks are mostly imperfect, especially when no thermal compound is used. There is never direct contact with the actual FETS so the heatsinks we use are mostly thermal mass. However, this is enough for most people. Simply due to the thermal mass we are able to get rid of enough heat to keep the vesc happy.

As for being below ambient temps, that’s just not going to happen without Peltier or some other active cooling system that introduces an immense amount of unnecessary complexity.

I understand being worried about the heatsink facing 160 degree asphalt, but in reality, it’s not sitting directly on it and might be only experiencing 100 - 120 degree (f) temperatures, from several inches away.

These temperatures are easily reached by vesc in the first place. At the end of the day, the heatsink and motors may end up being hotter than ambient anyway, and thus are still useful to cool the vesc and keep it below it’s unhappy zone of 80 to to 100c

5 Likes

I might actually be too low on tarmac temps. They have found that brick walls facing the sun are 165, blacktop may be that 80 to 100c. Lets see what AI says. 180 degrees f is seen in summer. And that is BEFORE even hitting the throttle. The batteries are punished as well. They are saying that due to all that scorch in tarmac and concrete, night temps are 15 degrees hotter than when we were kids. At least me, you are still a kid. Certainly a challenging environment and that is before climate change.

I am hoping that the cops dont harass me for riding the sidewalk. Often they dont have a clue what the law is. I have heard of cops telling us not to ride in road, and others not to ride the sidewalk. One of these days I am going to be run over for hogging the right lane when someone wants to turn right while waiting for light. Further danger when starting when light changes, without walk signs and folks turn left at you. Thankfully, in my community, they allow for golf carts in road. And the cops are not gestapo, at least local ones.

I am sure that my cowardice in only riding at 15mph saves me a lot of grief on replacing burnt parts and roadrashed skin.