Introduce Yourself and Share Your Plans (SERIOUS)

Thanks Bill!

3 Likes

welcome. where you located?
thoughts on first DIY build?

4 Likes

Located in San Antonio, Texas. I got an switchblade deck and enclosure combo and it looks like I’m going to do a dual 6374 setup. Looking at gear drives rn.
3d Servisas seems to be the best reviewed:)

2 Likes

They’re very nice, but also check out @moon drives and the herringbone from @avX

Great time to be interested in gear drives.

6 Likes

Awesome :+1: will do

2 Likes

:thinking:

4 Likes

Hey, another new guy here. Looking to learn more about electric skateboards and eventually build one. Right now I have a Revel Kit on a Loaded Bhangra. I added the Waterborne surf adapter and 107 mm Abec wheels. The board is really a lot of fun. Just looking to Carve my local streets with it so speed isn’t an important aspect. The Surf adapter allows fantastic turnability. As a beat up old surfer that is really what I’m shooting for.
I’m planning on probably two more boards since my son and his friends enjoy the board and I would like a board capable of some urban off road riding.
I’m looking at one of the Trampa electric carve boards as one possibility. As a newbie I like their site. I’ve learned a few things from it. I like having the ability to see the different components available for a build. This looks like a great place to learn and I’m looking forward to learning and hopefully contributing.
Paul

7 Likes

Hi Paul-

Good to have you. I bumped your account so you won’t be limited in messaging. Frank from Trampa comes in to share knowledge and engage in sprited discussions here if you have a question or two for him.

Let me know in a personal message if you have any questions, and welcome!

5 Likes

Thank you Bill. I think my venture into eboarding is going to be a lot of fun.

6 Likes

famous last words

6 Likes

So true!
It really means two boards in the next six months. :grin:

4 Likes

Welcome @PJBrendel !
We have some great experienced off-road guys here ready to help out with all there experience.
I would recommend to get a bit a research in what you plan to build and than start a build thread with parts you choose before ordering.
We all together could than go over your list and sort out what will work or what better to change. If you ready for some diy stuff there are great options and combinations possible to build the board you dream of. If you more into plug and play a trampa complete is a great thing to start into all terrain/ e mtbing.

4 Likes

Thank you very much @Andy87 . I appreciate the camaraderie here. I like your idea of a build thread. Although I think I’m going to order a pre-built from Trampa. Perhaps I could go through the list of parts I’ll be using and see if there are suggestions to change any parts.
I think my first foray into a semi off road board is going to be a Trampa electric carveboard. That will allow some light off road riding and give me a feel for something that’s in the mountainboard direction.
I need to start looking around for places that I may be able to do some actual off roading. I live on Long Island in New York and it’s very, very developed. There are some parks near me that I can spend a little time but I’m not sure if there are any restrictions for electric boards and people are more than willing to call the police if your having too much fun,

5 Likes

@PJBrendel Just don’t hesitate to ask if you want to know something specific. We all here to help.
Best experience is always the own experience :wink: sometimes it will cost you some $$$ but as long as you learn out of that it’s never wrong.
If you want to look first into light off-road or lets say all terrain without bindings you might want to have a look at @Kaly boards. Advantage there is that he is in your city and the decks have a concave which is very helpful if you want to carve without bindings (plus his batteries are mounted under the deck which looks more pleasant for the one or the other. I don’t mind too mount batteries thou :wink:)
One thing to for trampa prebuild to look at us the stiffness if the deck. If you like flex and below 80kg 15ply is nice. If you don’t like flex so much or over 80kg than 16-17ply is what I would look for.
Good start into your 2020 esk8 time :+1:

6 Likes

@Andy87 I think that the Kaly boards are eboard Masterpieces! I am fortunate to live about 45 minutes away from KalyNYC and Ernesto has been kind enough to offer me a test drive. I’m afraid that if I try one of those boards it may be hard to settle for anything else. I may end up with one in the future but for now that is about 1k above my (extended) budget.
Right now I am considering an MK2 TRAMPA ELECTRIC URBAN CARVEBOARD WITH V6 VESC & 12A BEAST BOX MINI SPRING TRUCKS WITH 6 OR 7 INCH WHEELS WITH 12A BEAST BOX - SINGLE MOTOR
The cost of this board is about $1250 USD. But that doesn’t include shipping, a second motor with mounting parts, and a battery. So I think I can get everything for about $1800, (which is still $600 more than I told my wife I was going to spend). So that’s where I am right now.

3 Likes

Lol that’s shockingly similar to what I planned on paying vs final cost.

I thought I was just over 1k… Came out to $1810. So many odds and ends you don’t think about.

Really consider what percentage of on road vs off road you’re doing and how off road the off road really is. Think of range and speed desired and go slightly above that so you don’t get bored.

But nice or buy twice! Great to have you here.

3 Likes

:joy::sweat_smile: budget is always a trouble for most of us. It’s always more expensive on the end than planed in the beginning @PJBrendel
I don’t want to make the trampa bad, it’s definitely a nice board as well, just give you some thoughts.
The mini trucks are not ideal in my opinion and if you later want to go full mtb with 8“ wheels or bigger it’s not going to work well as they are very narrow. Not sure what’s your range elections. With that lipo box which fit 6.2Ah 12s you will top out at 10-12km especially if you go dual drive. Also be aware that you will need to get a new set of lipos in a year or so. Depending on how often you use them and how you take care about them they might get puffy sooner than later. (Don’t over discharge them, set them to storage voltage after each ride, just charge short before you ride and get quality packs like hobbyking graphens and you might be happy for more longer).
If you will find out that you need some concave, there are some files available on thingivers to 3D print your add on concave for the trampa urban carve deck.
With this said I hope @BillGordon will not ban me for going too much off topic in this thread :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Well not even 24 hours after my first post I realize how much I need to learn. @Venom121212 and @Andy87 just reading your posts has helped me realize that I’m going into this with much more emotion than brains. I’m lucky to have a board that I really enjoy right now. That said, I need to do a lot more reading on this forum before I take the plunge. There’s so much about these boards that I need to learn.

5 Likes

So I think that best tactic for you would be look at some other people’s build threads who have similar goals to you from there learn why they used those parts and slowly build up an idea in your head

Then make a build thread

3 Likes

Perfect mindset to have. So glad you’re not the “no my plan is right and I’m doing it no matter what you say” type.

Just for reference, I came to the forum wanting to upgrade this:

:grimacing::face_with_monocle::face_vomiting:

And was awestruck that there were so many levels higher I should be shooting for. I’d go to the build of the year thread and start reading through the nominee threads.

There’s generally (and arguably) 4 types of builds:

1. Urethane short board - smaller, commuter, cheapest
  2. Urethane long board - speedy, carvey, connected
  3. Pneumatic longboard - speedy, carvy, kushy
  4. Mountainboard - all, fucking, terrain
8 Likes