Introduce Yourself and Share Your Plans (SERIOUS)

I can see it. you probably need to level up (read time) before you can post links.

you left a lot of extraneous weird stuff in that collaborative whiteboard. tad distracting. but neat way to present your ideas.

2 Likes

Agree. Now I’m wondering if mayonnaise really is an instrument.

Welcome, @vagabundo!

1 Like

Hi everyone, I am Brian from Canada and I am currently majoring in compsci(2nd year). I’ve got myself hooked onto skating recently and have been practising skateboarding throughout the summer. Since I’d most likely be moving out next year, to presumably somewhere near my uni/workplace, I’d want to build myself a board for commuting. I am new to this forum and community (if this isn’t already apparent xd) and I got a few questions.

1. Is it legal to use an electric skateboard on the sidewalk or on the road in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area, not the game)?
  2. Is it a good idea to open a topic in this forum summarizing my plans and questions regarding to my project so I can get answers and opinions or should I just post it here instead?

Thanks

3 Likes

Welcome to the forum. I think one of the best things you can do is start by looking through the DIY builds category and just get an idea of what people are doing to put some ideas into your head

From there, you can start reading other threads, go through the pictures thread, kind of explore and see what’s out there.

After you’ve done some reading, maybe comment on some threads, ask questions, etc, then you could consider opening up a thread for yourself. At that point you would have gathered information and seen a bunch of different builds, giving you a better starting place for the really important questions.

Obviously any simple questions you can ask in the Noob Question Thread 2020 summer but the search on our site works quite well too. There’s no shame in using that thread, we just want to keep a lot of basic questions in the same place so people can find all the simple answers in one thread.

4 Likes

Thanks! I have done quite a bit of research for a week or so, so I have a basic idea on what is going on, I wouldn’t say I am completely blind (I can build a board if given all the parts), its mainly about the choices of parts, questions like what batteries/wheels work the best in certain circumstances and generally stuff that I cannot find online. but yeah I will do some more research and maybe ask those questions in respective threads. I currently have a list of parts, but there are soooo many options to choose from, exciting, but also a bit daunting. If you don’t mind, can I ask you a few questions that I have on top of my mind?

2 Likes

@ShutterShock also made a thread regarding different vendors that are trusted, u can check it out as well.

FYI, avoid flipshit esc.

1 Like

There is another thread in that category too with a no-words-just-ratings list too

In that list you can see what people’s experiences have been with the vendors. My list should be the same as that one, if it’s not, I’ll check it out and make sure it is identical (my list came before the other one, and I leave off the ones that are downvoted a lot or those that I know have had community issues in the past)

1 Like

I guess I will leave my question here. Thanks in advance to whoever answers them.

1. I want a deck that is relatively small or a bit smaller than usual, think exway flex, but with a kicktail so I don’t have to break my back every single time I want to pick up my board, and maybe ollie up some curbs if I get comfortable with it. This is the one I have in mind now, but I am afraid I might damage the integrity of the board by drilling through it since it is made of a composite of bamboo and fibreglass coating. Keystone V2 37” Deck

2. I will be using 85mm Orangatang Caguama wheels but I am not sure if I should get the 77a, 80a or the 83a one. I might pump and slide on the board once in a while.

3. Since I will be using the kicktail should I mount my motors inwards? If yes, how would I prevent the motors from scraping against the board? Higher trucks? Riser pads?

4. Are electrical skateboards legal in Canada (Toronto)?

Thanks

@mods maybe move this over to the noob thread?

1: @b264 is the man for smaller decks, he knows a lot of them.

3: Yes, and usually you can just angle the mounts so they don’t hit, there’s various options. Usually we run at least a 6mm riser

4: @pkasanda is canadian

2 Likes
  1. i swear by blue cagu, but they ain’t good for sliding if thats what u plan on doing, maybe purple will be better, but i don’t know anything about sliding :man_shrugging:t2:
1 Like

Ok, I will move over to the noob thread and btw thank you so much for your help. Should I send those people a message, the ones that u mentioned?

1 Like

Ic, how are they, I heard they are amazing. I won’t be sliding all day, maybe just once in a while for breaking, do you think the blue cagu can hold up for that amount of abuse? Thanks

my front blue cagu chunked a bit, but that’s just because i have shit road here in Hong Kong, and i do mean shit road, so YMMV, but overall they are nice to ride on, just waiting for my TB110 to arrive and change my mind lol

3 Likes

You might as well try, you could check their profiles for useful stuff too

1 Like

Wait ur from HK? ayyyyy.

yes lol how can i help

I was born in HK, came to Canada when I was 10ish. I never knew skating is allowed there. At least I don’t see any skaters when I come back for vacation lmao. I guess its just not popular.

1 Like

I am just sayin, the roads round my neighbourhood ain’t that good either, I chipped my tooth when I was cruising on my regular skateboard last month.

skating is allow, just not popular and people thinks u r weird if u do it on the streets, and there isn’t many skate parks. but when it comes to electric skateboard, that shit is illegal, and u get fine if caught, so…catch me if u can :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes