Introduce Yourself and Share Your Plans (SERIOUS)

Cus I don’t need the range
And I like the feel of a lite board

3 Likes

how come the staggered layout in the front, rather than two more parallel packs side by side with the unity in front?

2 Likes

I can’t really remember, I just know it worked out better that way.
The BMS is just under the motor wires along with the remote receiver.
Im still undecided as to what battery I will be building for the second board.

4 Likes

Ah, I think I see it. some of that between battery channel gets used for the unity. saving space on the narrower top row for the BMS.

thanks for another picture! <3

1 Like

I’m from Kansas City. I grew up skateboarding, BMX, kiteboarding, and snowboarding. I saw some trails where I live and thought how much I miss the involvement and fun from the Northwest.
Saw a cool Trampa board…hours of Youtubeing and driving my kids crazy. Then I thought why buy when I could learn how to make what I want. Then…I stumbled upon this forum and have been happily reading and learning from you guys. So from knowing nothing to
Build plans here go nothing
10 or 12s mountainboard (I’ll buy the battery ) not yet confident to attempt to solder
6374 170kv dual belt drive
I’ll most likely go mid grade on my first build to get the basics incase I fry all the parts.
I have all the parts except battery and VESC.
Looking forward to building and chatting with everyone in this community
Thanks-Dan

6 Likes

Welcome, Dan! Sounds like a fun build plan. Are you planning to top mount your battery?

BTW, one of the guys just dropped a great soldering tutorial:

2 Likes

Welcome man! Trail riding is a blast. Not having to pump a bike is even better haha.

Go 12s. I was considering between the 2 a long time ago and got recommended 10s by someone and regret it :expressionless:

Luckily I’m light weight and can get away with it but I’m currently looking to upgrade.

3 Likes

Bill,Thanks for the tip! I’m not sure the position of tbe battery yet. The deck is supposed to get here Thursday. I was going to loosely build /put it together…then the inner struggle. I have not seen many options other than lipo’s for the top. Will be reading up on the thread you sent.

3 Likes

The short explanation for lipos is this. They are great for amp delivery, this is awesome in hills and for torque required situations. They are crap for charge cycles.

3 Likes

Hey! Newbie here from Boston. New to skateboarding in general, always been a tinkerer. I just got a regular “slow” board, and it is obvious how much better it would be with electricity. I’m trying to find an inexpensive way into this sport so I understand what I like before building something fancy. A used pile of parts for a frankenboard would be perfect, I’d enjoy modifying and tinkering. Slow as dirt is also perfect, I’ve spent a total of about an hour skateboarding.

I’m an electrical/software engineer, so building a remote/battery would be fun down the road, but I need to get rolling first…

1 Like

Welcome fellow engineer!

Check out @BuildKitBoards website. He’s got the best price by far for a diy kit that is high quality without breaking the bank.

Check out the “build of the year thread” to see some of the favorite boards of 2019 if you need further diy inspiration.

2 Likes

Hi Everyone!

I’m new to the Esk8 world but have been working with EV’s for a while…so some similarities lol.

I bought a Wowgo 2s to try out how an entry level Eboard would hold up as my everyday commuter(about 4.5 miles daily), so far it has been great even through 3-4 days of light rain.

My plans are to modify the board to be faster of course, 20mph feels slow after just 2 weeks lol.
-Tom

3 Likes

Hello!

My name is Taeo and I’m originally from Southern California. I’m currently living in Western Norway where I’m finishing up a bachelor’s degree in biology. I’ve been riding longboards for years, but I’ve never had an esk8board and I’ve been looking into getting one since it seems like a great way for me to get around the small town I live in. My research has mostly been centered around pre-builds since I don’t have the time to build one myself at the moment, but I can see that eventually I would want to build something of my own. My biggest criteria for the board I want are that I want it to be able to handle my weight (I’m on the heavier side of skaters, currently 130kg), I want it to be able to go on off-road trails and up steepish hills (25-30% grade) and I need it to be somewhat waterproof since rain and wet roads are pretty common where I live. I’ve been considering several options, including Bajaboards, Bioboards (hei Sverige!), Trampa and maybe Ekewill (I like the idea of planetary-geared hub drives, but I’m concerned about durability in off-road scenarios and I wish they were herringbone gears or at least helical). I haven’t come across a whole lot of boards that meet my criteria exactly, but I’m always open to suggestions. My dream build would be something like a Bioboards Thorium X4 with some 10 inch DURO-style Trampa tires, Lacroix Hypertrucks, 190kv 6374 motors and @avX Avio MK2 Gear Drives
(I know they’re only built for the Kahua trucks… maybe I would like those as well). A Unity VESC and a 12s5p baterry setup would be rad too, but that’s the area of esk8 that I’m still the most unfamiliar with, so I’ll have to do some more research on that one.

Either all that or a Bajaboard G4/S2 that can handle my weight and the water. Haha :slight_smile:

Anyway, thanks for fostering such an amazing community! I look forward to expanding my knowledge when it comes to esk8!

2 Likes

Go DIY and never look back :rofl:

1 Like

Haha, if I had the time I would. Eventually I’m sure I’ll build something of my own, but for now I just want to get out there and ride :wink:

1 Like

Get a Lacroix or a Kaly then :grin:

A trampa is nice but they don’t sell a ready to ride board afaik?

2 Likes

Always been shocked by this

2 Likes

For sure, my biggest problem with those are ground clearance and my weight. Also, Lacroix doesn’t rate their boards for waterproofness at all, so that concerns me a little when it comes to getting a board with such a high price point. Are Bajaboards really not that popular around here? I’ve sent a few messages to them and they’ve told me that their boards should be able to handle light rain and small puddles, but to just make sure to dry it off when I get home and not to take it out in super heavy rain.

Trampa boards have a couple of pre-builds I’ve been looking at. https://www.trampaboards.com/pro-external-spur-gear-drive-electric-mountainboard-c-1428.html

Edit: I see that I’d have to provide my own battery with that setup. Still, complete enough for my limited build ability.

@glyphiks did a good pros and cons list. He might chime in.

2 Likes

Yea, I was looking through that thread. I’ll keep reading through it :slight_smile:

2 Likes