Interest check: mbs rockstar/fivestar internal spacers

Mcmaster is us-based, they obviously sell imperial units 90% of the time. I will try to find uk based tubing but i’m really not in for cutting and sanding these at work as they’re more trouble than it’s worth

Would they really take that much work? I’d imagine that once you have a guide jig set up, you could probably do one every five seconds. Then take them to a sanding wheel for another few seconds, and they should be done. From what I gathered doing 3D printed spacers on mine, the bearing spacing isn’t even uniform from wheel to wheel, so they don’t have to be super precise.

1 Like

I have spacers made like that for 6x2 hubs and they suck balls. One is so small it rattles inside, 2 are uneven/click around and the third i had to shave half a mm off. Those are presumably made by someone doing this all day long. I can’t imagine myself doing a much better job at it

1 Like

How much of that is from the spacers, and how much of that is from the wheel bearing seats? I found on the four Rockstars I had, the spacers were the same length, but on some wheels the bearing would stick out by nearly a mm. With the printed ones I just found it easier to make it slightly long and crush it into position, since the tolerances were so bad on the bearing seats.

1 Like

The 6x2 hub bearings were press fit. A hammer was needed to take them out so definitely no bearing seat rattling. On the fivestar hubs however it’s so bad i can shake the wheel and hear the bearings click inside the seat.
I need to note that i am currently at the building stage on the mountainboard build so i will at some point fix this

I used these boiiiiis

https://www.aluminumspacers.com/spacers-by-outer-diameter/5-8-16mm-outer-diameter/mas16-12-22-4

3 Likes

Do the spacers need to be made of steel, or would aluminum work? If so, www.aluminumspacers.com might be worth looking into

Edit: Justin beat me to the punch.

3 Likes

Aaaaand close the thread.
That’s everything we need.
Now, who’s going to help me buy these and ship them to the uk? (I probably correctly assume no one and their dog will ship to this wasteland anymore)

1 Like

Electricboardsolutions also sells spacers which are for the rockstar 2 hubs:

What length spacer do you need for Rockstar II?

1 Like

I believe it’s the same, 22.5mm

22.2mm

2 Likes

I thought fivestars were different than rockstars but the mbs schematic for both shows 38.2 mm outer bearing to outer bearing. What does your master sheet say?

1 Like

You want 22.2mm spacers for Rockstars. 22.5mm is too long

3 Likes

Fuck thats freaking difficult to DIY with a pipe cutter :frowning:

2 Likes

I am running 10mm axles…is a 1/2” by 7/8” close enough?

Hmmm weird it shows them both the same. I don’t have rockstars on me but the 22.4 mm I linked definitely fit the fivestars.

665f8d2af4d19ee3936d23480170fdb35ff76e5b_2_690x426

Probably tolerance nonsense making up the 0.2mm difference

3 Likes

At the end of the day, they (rockstars) are plastic hubs. Tolerance only goes so far.

2 Likes

Agreed :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Is it bad if the bearings stick out a little because you use spacers too long by a .3mm?

2 Likes