Interest check: mbs rockstar/fivestar internal spacers

I’m thinking to order a few more of these and figure out if i can get the price down for myself and everyone else by ordering in bulk.

Materials available are aluminium, stainless steel and mild steel (ordered from expensive to cheap) and cost in the £7 to £4.50 range for ONE part machined.
I’m currently waiting for an answer on how much it would cost to machine 20-30 parts
I also ordered a lot more o-rings than i will ever need in my lifetime so i can just drop one or two on top of the spacers.

If someone can find 12mm id x 16mm od x 22.5mm length spacers for cheap just link it here please

2 Likes

@xsynatic i really have no idea in which corner of the site this fits. Pls help

2 Likes

Group buy? :smiley:

2 Likes

I have no idea if anyone really wants these yet. No one is making them in massive amounts and i think most people just chuck a shit ton of washers in there (124 0.2mm washers fit lol) or just run them empty and throw away bearings a bit more often

2 Likes

Leave it here or move it to GB, up to you. Nothing against here tbh. Since it’s just interest gauging.

3 Likes

Okay, it stays here. Thank you!

3 Likes

most people run them without any spacers

8 Likes

It’s probably cheaper for someone to buy some tube stock and chop it into 22.5mm lengths on a bandsaw for everyone. 6’ of 5/8" mild steel tubing is only $7.52 on McMaster. Metric ones seem to be more expensive and hard to find, but I think 5/8" is only off by .02" or so.

2 Likes

I somewhat got the hint by the complete lack of availability for them

1 Like

Mcmaster is us-based, they obviously sell imperial units 90% of the time. I will try to find uk based tubing but i’m really not in for cutting and sanding these at work as they’re more trouble than it’s worth

Would they really take that much work? I’d imagine that once you have a guide jig set up, you could probably do one every five seconds. Then take them to a sanding wheel for another few seconds, and they should be done. From what I gathered doing 3D printed spacers on mine, the bearing spacing isn’t even uniform from wheel to wheel, so they don’t have to be super precise.

1 Like

I have spacers made like that for 6x2 hubs and they suck balls. One is so small it rattles inside, 2 are uneven/click around and the third i had to shave half a mm off. Those are presumably made by someone doing this all day long. I can’t imagine myself doing a much better job at it

1 Like

How much of that is from the spacers, and how much of that is from the wheel bearing seats? I found on the four Rockstars I had, the spacers were the same length, but on some wheels the bearing would stick out by nearly a mm. With the printed ones I just found it easier to make it slightly long and crush it into position, since the tolerances were so bad on the bearing seats.

1 Like

The 6x2 hub bearings were press fit. A hammer was needed to take them out so definitely no bearing seat rattling. On the fivestar hubs however it’s so bad i can shake the wheel and hear the bearings click inside the seat.
I need to note that i am currently at the building stage on the mountainboard build so i will at some point fix this

I used these boiiiiis

https://www.aluminumspacers.com/spacers-by-outer-diameter/5-8-16mm-outer-diameter/mas16-12-22-4

3 Likes

Do the spacers need to be made of steel, or would aluminum work? If so, www.aluminumspacers.com might be worth looking into

Edit: Justin beat me to the punch.

3 Likes

Aaaaand close the thread.
That’s everything we need.
Now, who’s going to help me buy these and ship them to the uk? (I probably correctly assume no one and their dog will ship to this wasteland anymore)

1 Like

Electricboardsolutions also sells spacers which are for the rockstar 2 hubs:

What length spacer do you need for Rockstar II?

1 Like

I believe it’s the same, 22.5mm