Inside an Enertion Raptor 2.1’s 10S4P 30Q Battery

Hi everyone, so since the BMS failed in my 2.1 and half the battery is now out of balance, I thought I would strip the battery in the hope of re-using the cells.

I’ve personally never seen the inside of a R2.1 battery, so here are some initial photos.

I’m not a battery builder (yet :joy:) but I’ve seen a LOT of battery builds since I started with ESK8 in 2016, and this battery - to me - seems beautifully built!

Manufacturer: sz-battery.com

7 Likes

Would you mind showing us the series connections?

3 Likes

The plan is to strip the battery, so yeah I’ll take as many photos as possible - this won’t be today, sorry dude!

3 Likes

Good luck Jonny!

There are a couple of things with the battery I can see that are perhaps not the safest but it looks ok so far.

Let me know if you need any help in person, always welcome at the workshop dude

4 Likes

Cheers dude, I might have to take you up on that! :joy:

1 Like

Curious what range were you getting from this pack?

1 Like

An absolute maximum of 12 miles - with reduced torque at about 45% on the Raptor’s battery LCD. I weigh ~182lb.

1 Like

So that’ll be like 18 miles on other motors more than likely

2 Likes

Whatever you do do not put that pack into a flexible deck. The nickel is wafer thin and the main battery connections are a single folded tab. Its very pretty to look at but the design is flawed.

Mine very nearly burnt my new build to ashes recently. all the series connections melted away and the main terminals too. 15 cells then vented. Very conservative current settings and all I can put it down to is over flexing the pack caused some disconnections. Half the p connections could be removed with out leaving any weld residue, in fact 4 just fell away after I removed the plastic cell holders. The 25 cells that are left took 5 minutes to clean up with a dremel and anyone who has ever done that nasty job knows what I am talking about.
Just so you are aware of what you have. I suggest doing a complete strip down to the individual p packs, check all welds and then re wire the series connections. Trust me on this too they send out a lot of replacement batteries for raptor2’s and its only the stiff deck that stops any more failures. Normal shit QA unfortunately what has become the norm for Enertion

Actually I will be very interested to see what yours is like because mine was a 2 and it will be interesting to see if they did some upgrades. Looked identical before the fireworks though.

4 Likes

This nickel 0.15mm. Is too thin.

Is common battery factory in China use thin steel nickel and sometime B cell. Must careful.

3 Likes

Its paper thin. I could tear it with my thumb nail. The welds had fully penetrated the metal to the point there was no material left. The tabs for the main terminals acted like fuses. Not good in a 2000 buck product. On the other hand I have a chinese lg pack that is very well built so its not a widespread practice to use sub standard materials. Only if you want to bulk up your margins and take advantage of the community. Nothing that we are not all aware of sadly…

2 Likes

I Chinese and live China and see many factory. Is not all with bad quality. But many will cut price by make B battery and thin nickel so not last long and is danger.

9 Likes

Then you my friend are on my good people list. Manufacturing is hit and miss at best so to have a person close to the source is a good thing.

:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

4 Likes

You are a very mixed up individual if you took that from that Roman.

Like it.

Keep up the good work

2 Likes

Looks at board with R2 battery in it…
giphy

4 Likes

Putting a complete Raptor 2.1 battery on a flexy deck would be the worst idea in the world - that’s not what I had planned. Because half the pack is out of balance, I want to do a complete strip-down and re-balance before rebuilding into something usable for an @eBoosted enclosure for my Vanguard - most likely with the help of @Lee_Wright in his workshop.

Thanks for all the information by the way @Dareno, much appreciated. :+1:

3 Likes

Like all things in China it is just designed to do it’s designated job… nothing more. So there are zero concerns for flexibility or out of spec performance or safety.

1 Like

Got a flipsky vx2 remote and i cant get it to go, i think its because i dont know what pole paris is

1 Like

Bro, how did you even find this thread?

7 Likes