Inserting 7/8" (22.225mm) bearings to Abec11/Evolve wheels

Hey Guys,
I’m trying to mount Evolve (Abec11) wheels on a 12Fifty’s Trampa 9.525mm trucks.
The problem is that the bearings won’t fit. Who makes bearings that are not 22mm in diameter ?!?
The bearings are Trampa bearings that fits their trucks, inside diameter=9.525mm, outside=22.225mm (i.e. 0.225mm wider).
It’s really really hard to push the bearings inside the wheel and I’m afraid to ruin the wheel and/or the bearings.
Any idea ?

It’s harder to get them out once you get them in! I just put the bearing on the axel place the wheel on it and give it a few love taps. She’ll loosen up and thank you later. :yum:

2 Likes

Keep in mind that these are not Abec11 wheels, perhaps Abec11 wheels inside’s are “softer” , these Evolve ones are really really hard.

Abec11 fly wheels. Dunno man it works for me but I got the wheels used so I’m not as worried about it. Wait for second opinions.

3 Likes

@Ace What is that for?

3 Likes

I can think of a couple options:

1: Wedge those suckers in there and hope for the best, (easiest and riskiest IMO),

2: If you have access to a machine shop, bore out the wheels to be a proper fit, (easy, but needs a shop with a lathe),

3: Get some 6900 bearings (10mm ID, 22mm OD) and use shim stock or make a spacer to take up the slack around the axle (needs more parts and maybe careful machining or shimming).

2 Likes

I skate real close to the water so I attached a surf leash to my board. That is where it connects to the bolt in my trucks. I ran a steal brace under the nut and off to the side to mount it.

7 Likes

Thanks !
I think your 2nd option will be a good direction, I will look for a machine shop with lathe and ask him if this can be done.

Or - 4th option, is to CNC/narrow the trucks axle to 8"" and go with standard bearings, WDYT? @MysticalDork

1 Like

If you have access to a CNC mill or lathe, you can use it to widen the wheel holes. If you have access to a CNC lathe, you can turn down the axles to 8mm (or 9mm), then you need to re-cut the threads on the end. Also, it kind of defeats the purpose of fatter axles - strength.

1 Like

You are right.
So, probably the easiest way to go is to use the machine to widen the sockets of the wheels themselves.

.225mm doesn’t seem like a lot to me. I’d use an arbor press and just push them in, I dont know for real though. That’s a silly way to do bearing though, why not just use a standard size?

1 Like

I just used a washer on top and then screwed them down on the axle.

It’s not a lot, but to put it in, you really need to produce a lot of pressure, like a-lot , that can really damage and bearings …
Cause the axles are 9.525mm :frowning: and not 8mm or 10mm, unless u know of a bearing that has ID 9.525 and OD 22mm :frowning:

1 Like

Yes, probably my last resort …

Maybe these? I used them to put flywheels on MBS ATS trucks, which have a 9.5mm axle.

Ten (10) R6-2RS Sealed Bearings 3/8 x 7/8 x 9/32 Ball Bearings/Pre-Lubricated (Pack of 10)

3/8 = 9.525, 7/8 = 22.225, 9/32 = 7.14375

1 Like

I’m having the same issue that u did, trying to put flywheels on this 9.525mm axle, but the bearings u suggested are exactly as the bearings I have now so I guess it won’t make a difference. If their OD was 22mm and not 22.225mm, that was the best, but there is no such thing since it’s a mixture of imperial and metric units in the same bearing.

1 Like

Yeah, your wheels are different than what I used. Mine were straight ABEC Flywheels, 97mm I think. An option is to use a heat gun and warm up the core, then use an arbor press to seat the bearings. You will have to be very careful though, it’s a fine line between a little soft and melted mes of garbage.

2 Likes

:slight_smile: ! Yup, thought about this as well. But I think I will go to a shop with lathe or similar tool and try to ask them to remove some thin piece of plastic in the core, I wonder if they can really do so and if it’s not complicated. I’ll update soon :slight_smile:

1 Like

The right machine shop can I’m sure. It might be complicates since you cant chuck the wheels, prolly have to mount a shaft and chuck the shaft. Anyways, it’s doable just not sure if they will want to do it. Good luck though.

1 Like

Thanks mate ! will update soon :slight_smile:

1 Like