Independent Suspension RKP Hanger idea 💡

You’d need a double linkage parallelogram thing so that turning isn’t affected.
Single pivot suspension is I think just a no go.

With the double linkage, I think it would be pretty easy to set up to compress urethane rather than a spring. If you were to aim for like, even 4mm of suspension travel, with like 1.5mm of sag that’s actually a lot for any sort of skate truck.

Would probably easier to do a proof of concept design as a channel truck, since they’re so much easier to mess with. I mean, you can make a channel truck using only square tubing, angle bar, and welded on nuts for a thread in axle.
If you can get two sized of square tubing, one that fits snug inside the other, that’s probably a really good way to make the linkages.

2 Likes

Yes, this is a good example of what I was talking about. The compression is perpendicular to the king pin. (Not the pivot pin)

1 Like

Thanks for the insight guys!!

Got examples of this type of double linkage?

I think I might have a solution to keep the suspensions mount always 0° even if truck / KP angle is regular 40-50° but I don’t have enough input yet on how to keep the wheel axles parallel to ground yet to complete a schematic.

Trying to learn on this to avoid the “camber effect” which would reduce wheel patch under compression.

@b264 if we keep the wheel contact patch the same as regular truck without angle or position deviation, this would be good then?

:man_shrugging:

I don’t think its all that important to address honestly, especially for the front truck as forces are coming in at an angle anyway. The biggest thing is it means your linkages will need greater travel than your suspension travel, and they’ll need to be a bit more robust torsionally.

6 Likes

Well, there are these:

1 Like

Oh yes that’s same principle, thanks for the link!

Noted :+1:t4: thanks for the sketch btw!

2 Likes

Bringing back this topic and paging @Fosterqc FTW :+1:t4:

Let’s call it ISRKP since it’s indépendant suspension for each wheel :v:t4:

Gonna try sketch something decent tomorrow.

2 Likes

This is the one you wanted me to look at or another one too?

yeah totally forgot this one existed there are so many hahaha that is why they needed the FULL SUSPENSION BOARDS thread

2 Likes

Oh nice! Lot of iterations already out there :joy::joy:

Well I scrolled and saw many solutions there (damn pretty much everything has been done lol)

3 Likes

What do you think about making this suspension attach to a block that fits over the end of a @Boardnamics hanger. Basically just bolts on to the axle thread lol.

Then my special idea to prevent bending is you would put a crossbar between said parts bolted on the ends of the hanger.

2 Likes

Kinda like car spindle?

Not 100% to picture it, it would then make a fixed suspension right?

I think it will work, but it’ll become super wide stance tho lol

1 Like

The crossbar prebents bending forces from making the hanger banana shaped from the extra wideness.

1 Like

Bro, how could I miss that?! :man_shrugging:

1 Like

ftfy

1 Like

Maybe I’ve been discrète and lurking in the shadows these past days bro :heart:

Thank you! Hahaha

1 Like

Yeah, me was like that, too. :laughing:
Always lurking but also acting if needed :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

I have started designing a suspension truck for mtb that is not so damn bulky like the Baja.

4 Likes

Nice ! Got picture of schematic ready by chance?

Btw I’m redoing the sketch, borrowed some ideas from @Fosterqc topic, would appreciate a debug of the oncoming idea :smile:

3 Likes

Not at this time… fusion 360 is a fickle mistress

1 Like