Independent Suspension RKP Hanger idea đź’ˇ

Stupid idea from my brain being cooked at the beach.

Looking for debunking of the idea :muscle:t4:

Why could it work, why could it not work?

If it could work, why don’t we have something like this already? A standard Rkp hanger which could reuse branded baseplate.

7 Likes

I’m not sure if suspension that leads to a wheel turning as a result of the impact is a good idea. Also at low angles the suspension would do nothing but introduce a weak-link in trucks that are already prone to bending if not made well.

It’s a cool idea though, and I would love to see someone make one and test it :smiley:

3 Likes

Agreed, what about double link idea then?

So wheel doesn’t add more camber when suspension travels and turning radius of the truck shouldn’t change?

Or because of angled hanger / kingpin the wheel moving up might induce instability?

So what about a triangular link where you can set the suspension accordingly to your KP angle? So wheel geometry remains fixed except for shock absorption

1 Like

I’m trying my hardest but the drawing is a bit incomprehensible :sweat_smile:

But yeah, I think that might work really well :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sorry for the quality lol I’ll try post a better sketch :joy:

2 Likes

I’ve seen these before on a janky aliexpress listing and thought it was interesting if done correctly.

You’d want it to be compressive and stabilizing like a dampener but I’m interested in channel trucks + speed.

3 Likes

I think Siesmic has something similar,
and I liked the feels on their weird bushing’s RKP so maybe it isn’t crap

5 Likes

@Venom121212 @Plurf Interesting concept but not the same idea, on the examples you posted the whole hanger seem suspended somehow?

On my childish sketch the hanger itself is a regular rigid RKP, however hanger itself has indépendant suspensions on axle level for each wheel if that makes sense?

Goal is that you would have a regular nimble RKP truck but maybe benefit from suspensions at each wheel.

3 Likes

What’s channel truck btw? Not first time I read it and my vocabulary defaults me :joy:

2 Likes

like MTB trucks (Trampa/Matrix…)

2 Likes

I feel like that spring setup, the way you have them sketched, would work against the pivot pin. I’m thinking your springs would need to be oriented 90 degrees from where you have them sketched for use with a pivot pin and cup.

2 Likes

I remember seeing a suspension on a RKP baseplate. It looked CNCED in raw aluminum and It might have been on taobao. Anyone knows what I’m talking about?!

2 Likes

2 Likes

It looks interesting but also looks really prone to wobbles to me.

Picture it with the board leaned at like 5° and stuck there somehow, unable to change. Now you could theoretically turn the wheels back straight, compressing the suspension. Also if they were polyurethane wheels, it’d reduce the contact patch at the same time.

So this to me makes me feel like it’s going to be super wobble-prone, especially if used on rear trucks with any angle too much higher than 0°.

It’d be cool if someone tested it though…

4 Likes

If you do 90mph in a civic yes wobble/ 120mph in a Range smooth Sailing :thinking:

1 Like

You’d need a double linkage parallelogram thing so that turning isn’t affected.
Single pivot suspension is I think just a no go.

With the double linkage, I think it would be pretty easy to set up to compress urethane rather than a spring. If you were to aim for like, even 4mm of suspension travel, with like 1.5mm of sag that’s actually a lot for any sort of skate truck.

Would probably easier to do a proof of concept design as a channel truck, since they’re so much easier to mess with. I mean, you can make a channel truck using only square tubing, angle bar, and welded on nuts for a thread in axle.
If you can get two sized of square tubing, one that fits snug inside the other, that’s probably a really good way to make the linkages.

2 Likes

Yes, this is a good example of what I was talking about. The compression is perpendicular to the king pin. (Not the pivot pin)

1 Like

Thanks for the insight guys!!

Got examples of this type of double linkage?

I think I might have a solution to keep the suspensions mount always 0° even if truck / KP angle is regular 40-50° but I don’t have enough input yet on how to keep the wheel axles parallel to ground yet to complete a schematic.

Trying to learn on this to avoid the “camber effect” which would reduce wheel patch under compression.

@b264 if we keep the wheel contact patch the same as regular truck without angle or position deviation, this would be good then?

:man_shrugging:

I don’t think its all that important to address honestly, especially for the front truck as forces are coming in at an angle anyway. The biggest thing is it means your linkages will need greater travel than your suspension travel, and they’ll need to be a bit more robust torsionally.

6 Likes