In-stock alternatives to focboxes?

Is there even such a thing? An ESC that can be reliable in FOC?

The only thing I can think of are the flipsky 6.6 ESC’s, however from what I have seen on the forum the quality control of those are a real hit or miss kinda thing. Is our man Jeff from shenzen our only hope?

Luckily I have a unity for my build, but I was thinking for upcoming projects or new people trying to enter the hobby.

EDIT: I know about the VESC 6 from Trampa, but one of those costs almost as much as the Unity was.

1 Like

The Maytech 200a V6’s are very reliable.

Be sure to select “without waterproof case”.

1 Like

Oh, didn’t know about these. However at 225 each, you might as well go with trampa.

Have you tested these ones out?

2 Likes

I would use the maytech 200 amp over Trampa VESC 6s any day.

I have not personally tested those but I am pretty sure that @longhairedboy has used quite a few.

May I ask why? Other than the 200A over 80A with the VESC 6 I don’t really see any obvious benefits to the maytech ones.

1 Like

That is the benefit, you are free to use as massive a battery as you want and output as many amps as you want.

2 Likes

@longhairedboy Care to chime in on the “superfoc” ones from maytech, how were they?

1 Like

As long as you do not use a remote which works via uart.
Those maytechs can be fucking dangerous if you do not use a ppm remote.
No fun running into red lights because your esc inverts the brake signal into an acceleration.

5 Likes

Is this a thing for all maytechs? I have two superfocs that I was planning to use with a vx2 via uart

I can’t speak for the other maytech vesc derivatives.
The 200A 6.6 definitely has a HW issue in general.

2 Likes

It’s mainly because Mike is not exactly the top Trampa fan and he wouldn’t be able to cope with anything on or in his board having the Trampa label… except maybe this deck. :smile:

c80f11340bf33d9fdc2917887794a7a53aae17ee

4 Likes

Definitely something to keep an eye out for, thanks mate :+1:

2 Likes

I can back this statement up, having tested with with Andy + spoken to Maytech on it.

The 200A 6.6 Maytech has some issue with the current sensing setup, which results in weird hysteresis behavior at low duty cycles.

My theory is that UART remotes, which can be set to much lower deadband, can trigger this more easily/readily apparent. We could only reproduce it on that ESC with an OSRR (I can’t recall what the verdict on the Wand was), but the same OSRR on another ESC wouldnt exhibit the same issue. OSRR can run down to 1% deadband and has high-precision, so it could trigger the condition by moving forward/back outside of the deadband area, and only sometimes with a PWM remote? Or was that never with PWM? (pulling from memory, correct me if im wrong Andy).

@Andy87 do you recall which firmware we were testing on? The other issue is right around that time, if I recall, development on the UART control app was being merged into master as we were troubleshooting (3.63/3.64 came right after I believe).

4 Likes

There are enough focboxes floating around to grab imo. Used if fine as they are so reliable, if it works it works usually. If you can find an Escape they are better

Trouble shooting was FW 3.40 and 3.61.
In both it’s present.

2 Likes

That’s right, that is what lead us to believe it was hardware specific rather than firmware. Thanks!

Entirely possible that the stock firmware just isn’t properly setup for that particular hardware combination/FETs. Might be an interesting thing to look into if Maytech ever cared as much as we did.

3 Likes

Sadly they never came back to me even after writing up all troubleshooting and including videos to make the issue more clear.
Some months later somebody else sent the videos again to maytech and they seemed to even didn’t have had a look at it before :man_shrugging:

With it I do not have a good impression from maytech anymore.

5 Likes

Is there any way to test these superfocs I have and try and reproduce the issue to ensure it’s not present?

1 Like

Where are you located?

1 Like

Australia

2 Likes