Identifying this battery configuration

Hi Forum,
Im new to building batteries and was wondering if someone could help identify this configuration for me and also maybe offer some good reading material on this topic. Ive been googling and my instinct is 4s6p, but I dont know that I fully grasp the concept of parallel and series, (In fact, Im sure I don’t) so Im probably wrong about that.
Ive attached a diagram of the positive and negative cell orientations and the nickel plates that connect them.

1 Like

Umm that’s just 3x 4s2p short circuits

7 Likes

It seems like this diagram is attempting a 12s2p, but it is very wrong if I am looking at it right and would be 3 separate short circuited batteries…

1 Like

It looks like a bomb as drawn. Are you sure it’s not this?

That would be 12S2P

3 Likes

Battery Noob here as well,
I’d start by making 6p packs groups and then wire them in series :man_shrugging:

This could also be it, but it would be way off of what was there. Just disregard all the old connections.

2 Likes

That’s actually a less confusing way of making a 12S2P

2 Likes

I thought I diagrammed it correctly. Here are some actual pics.

This is a prebuilt.

1 Like

To me it looks just like Brian’s configuration,

I believe the part under the BMS is where you made an error.

1 Like

That seems likely, I cant actually see under the BMS unless I desolder the the two connections at the top and sides of the PCB.

1 Like

@JoeyZ5 So hypothetically speaking, what would the plate connections have to look like, in order to create a side by side configuration of 12 cells 2 stacks high and still maintain compatibility with the BMS?

I’m not sure we should tell you since it sounds like you would then attempt to do it and that would be a very bad idea considering you would pretty much do stuff without knowing what you’re doing.

Including the vid of my poor EVO (RIP) just to scare you off a bit:

7 Likes

Horrifying to watch but that is one very pretty fire.
Hmm…maybe I should be talking to someone about these feelings.

10 Likes

Just trying to get educated mate.
Hows this design? Its starting to make more sense now that Im drawing it out. From what I understand you need a positive and a negative “termination” or “end”. Which seems intuitive since thats how a single battery works. The electricity needs to flow from positive to negative or something like that. So thats why you need to alternate the connections on either side. Since 12 is an even number, this configuration would result in the positive and negative “ends” to be on the same side, side 1, as illustrated. Am I on the right track?

3 Likes

Yes, that all sounds correct. Also your diagram looks good. :+1:

I recommend looking up batters in series and parallel on YouTube. Lots of good short videos that can explain it better than I can about how it affects voltage and amps and what thay are

Electron flow is not the way you think it is another one there’s lots of good short videos on YouTube

Rember alkaline (AA) baterys are a lot safer to play around with lith-ion are a lot more volatile and explode and burn hot if you do things wrong. It’s why we call them a :bomb: bomb

:+1: yes we would call that a 12s2p wiring diagram. Have you found out what that represents?

Damn…what happened exactly?

This thread has the context:

TL;DR: I don’t know. It’s a bit of a mystery.

1 Like

Terrifying

@JoeyZ5 @b264

Either of you know what these are for?

They were soldered to the battery in the locations marked on the diagram below.

The DIY BMS’ Ive researched don’t seem to use these kind of connections.