Ideas for BOTY 2021 thread

for completeness, I feel like we should also have a “DIWHY” category. the shitty DIY and DIWHY threads definitely have some standouts. winner is the strangest or “least normal” setup

1 Like

CATEGORY SUGGESTIONS:

RULES SUGGESTIONS:

:joy:

12 Likes

when poll

After you’ve finished your vegetables and cleared your plate.

8 Likes

but I don’t LIKE vegetables!

1 Like

Please think about what you actually want the categories to be before you vote.

How many BOTY categories should we have, total? (Not talking about subcategories or anything right now)

0 voters

Also, I forgot to set this up to close automatically. I’ll be closing it on Tuesday or Wednesday so we can move on to the next round of voting. Please share this poll around the forum and bring folks here to vote.

2 Likes

dino_dick_v2.stl

the winner of this category gets a dino_dick_v2.stl donated by me :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

After thinking about what specific categories I actually would like to see, I boiled it down to:

1. Best off-road / mountain board! Builds with impressive power, robustness, built to go where no man has skated before! (This is the category that etoxx would win, lol)
  2. Best stealth / compact / lightweight board! Think clean aesthetics, clean wiring, maximum amount of tech in a limited space. Open to both shortboards you go to the local store with, and vehicles that literally fly under the radar in countries with retarded laws.
  3. Most innovative / creative / DIY / technically challenging board! Builds with custom hardware like rheostatic brakes, balancing, custom drive train solutions, etc. Epic skin jobs with integrated lights, speakers, cup holders, you name it! If someone is literally changing the game, they belong here!
  4. Best street board. This is where everything else goes. Your classic “that’s an electric longboard alright”, that you use to commute, race, or just go on a nice ride. Urethane, pneumatic, street carver, whatever is meant for the streets goes here. This is kinda what BOTY was in previous years.

Maybe a 5th category for race board makes sense, dunno. Why wouldn’t you use your race board for commuting though? lol

13 Likes

Street

Offroad

Race

Most DIY

GOAT

8 Likes

Urban

Offroad

Race

best upgrade(s) to a production complete

best custom parts/use

GOAT

I’ll be printing a massive Dickosaurus trophy in gold slik filament for that premium look.

@Venom121212 got any suggestions for a gold silk filament?

3 Likes
1 Like

This is whatever microcenter’s house filament in gold silk is.

2 Likes

:fire: :fire: :fire: :joy:

2 Likes

This is my go to for bang for buck but the gold isn’t listed anymore. I just ordered some the other day so I hope that isn’t permanent.

Silk Gold PLA Filament 1.75 mm 3D… https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XRPYXP2?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

1 Like

IMO choosing a number of categories is a bit pointless if you haven’t decided types of groups you want.

My preference would be to split entrants by functional groups so that each category is made up of a similar type of board. This is how most car shows work.

I said it before but I think these are best functional groups:

“Last mile” - These are lightweight builds such as short boards and one wheels.

“Street” - basically any larger Thane based boards.

“Carver” - these are Street boards with pnumatics designed for sleek athletics and endless comfort.

“eMTB” - anything and everything designed to perform off road.

This means there are 2 Thane categories, 2 pnumatic categories, each has one “show board” type and one “utility board” type category.

The one thing I have found with BOTY in the past is that often the best boards in these categories are the boards with the most expensive shiny parts. But this forum is about INOVATION and the DIY SPIRIT. So I think there should be a 5th category:

“Ultimate DIY” - can be any board type but is judged on quality of DIY workmanship rather than money spent and shinys.

10 Likes

Categories would be cool for sure, not too many though to prevent too many builds being in multiple categories.

This would be good imo:

Street

Offroad

Race

DIY

1 Like

I don’t think it’s an issue at all if a build can qualify for multiple categories, it’ll usually only be the winner of a single category.

could also limit the number of entries, so entrants have to carefully select the category they wish to compete in.

I feel like more categories gives more opportunities for recognition of cool builds.

1 Like

Problem with this is there are off-road race boards, DIY race boards, Street race boards, DIY off-road boards.

Almost any boards will fit multiple of your categories.

By splitting functionally like I have suggested no board will fit more than one category.

By definition if it’s an eMTB is not a street board. If it’s a last mile is not a carver. Etc

This also avoid having to compare a 200w penny board to a modified lonestar supersport, technically both would fit your street category yet are very different boards

4 Likes

only one would win the race board category, and only one would win the offroad category, but the boards could be in the running for both.

so?

why? then we would have 100 categories for every different specification in order to recognize all the ways a build could be considered “best”

boards can be more than one thing, BOTY is to find boards that are the best at what they’re built to do. if an eMTB happens to be the best urban street board so be it. that’s the beauty of voting for the best result.

1 Like