Idea for trucks with variable width and angle

forgive my CAD skills

first we need a Heim Joint

then a fully threaded high tensile rod (dunno how to cad threads)

add a pair of bushings in each side (just like NKP system)

lock the bushings in place using nuts (yeah, idea stolen from NKP)

make that two

add the axle component in one end of the parallel rods then lock with nuts

do the same on the other end

add nuts to the heim joints

place in the baseplate

finish by locking the baseplate with another set of nuts

to adjust the axle width just slide the axle component along the threaded rods

to adjust the angle just adjust the mounting height of one or both heim joints

p.s. Cant fabricate this myself. Not sure if this is even worth fabricating.

15 Likes

looks like it should work. i remember seeing someone else designing something similar here before, not sure they ever built one. my main concern would be that there could be some kind of twist in the parallel bars, im not sure how you would eliminate that.

my advice would be to try it out. most of what you have here should be easy to build with little more than hand tools.

5 Likes

Seems like @MoeStooge can give some valuable input here…
(there are some design similarities)

1 Like

This is solid @Fosterqc territory

12 Likes

Damn. Beat me to it.

4 Likes

Thanks! You got me with the oversight on the parallel bar twist. I think it could be eliminated/minimized by very tight tolerance between the rods and the axle components.

Would absolutely love to try it out. Can fabricate most of the components but a quality heim joint and custom bushings are out of my reach.

Nice! Love the simplicity and adjustabillity of your design. Nice pictures mentioning the design steps too. Wouldnt be too hard to make, you can start with simple hardware store parts with lower tolerances just to make a proof of concept. Can even 3D print the axle hub in nylon or so just to proof out the movement when you are standing on the board. That will already help you get a feel for things pretty quickly.

I’ve played with a similar quick concept but without the simple adjustablity. I am very new to truck design, no idea if this would work. The concept still needs work though like preload the bushings etc, I might machine something to test in the future though.

11 Likes

I can confirm I like this

5 Likes

This is what @MoeStooge eluded to when looking at my napkads

My general solution to his thoughts was a preload on whatever is constraining the movement. This isn’t really apparent in the Stooge 3-links it’s setup in a way that does not need this due to great leverage against misalignment. You would need to bend both of the 1/4-20 cap screws that attach the small links to the axle in order to see steering misalignment. That would require some ridiculous forces and the truck to not absorb the shock… idk

1 Like

boardernamis… im done

4 Likes

@Boardernameis

Sorry offtopic now

Boardnamics drivetrain components discussion and questions
If you wanna talk more about BN stuff^^

Question on truck geometry: the original concept has the truck angle set at the same point as it pivots from side to side, which is unusual. On the concepts since then, the truck angle is offset to a point above the truck (which is common).

What difference does that degree of offset make?

I’m guessing it effectively shortens the wheelbase (and makes it more carvy) as the angles decrease. Is that right? Does it have any other effect?

1 Like