IDEA board with brackets, TKP trucks, hub motors and 3D printed battery enclosure

Thanks for your kind words, I’m glad you like my designs :smiley:

2 Likes

I noticed omni has ldp brackets very similar to yours… kinda annoying.

1 Like

The Chinese always copy interesting ideas, you can’t help it …
I’m a small, insignificant manufacturer, I’m more worried about copying the products of industry leaders such as Evolve or ABEC11

2 Likes

Temporary transplant to test ESC, Hub motors and hangers

I already have the first insights…
The motors heat up nightmarishly, I live in a mountainous area, I weigh 85kg (187 lbs) and today it was warm, around 30°C (86 F)

Widened massive hangers are good, it’s extra cooling for hub motors

The ESC is also very warm… Perhaps I will use a solution with an additional heatsink integrated into the bracket.

3 Likes

This particular meepo hub motor is known to heat up. I have them on a board and the motors and hanger gets pretty toasty after a ride. My favourite meepo hubs are the v3 540v. The ones that can use 90mm or 100mm sleeves. I am using a set of 100mm that have been softened by Brad. From 78a down to 72a. Got Meepos 105mm mad wheels up front. All is good but so need to be sitting on a wider hanger. This is where you come in! Nudge nudge!

2 Likes

I’m thinking of designing wide RKP hangers for hub motors, I’m wondering whether to do it in Caliber II or Meepo standard, so as to use the original Meepo base plates :thinking:

2 Likes

I think I’m really misunderstanding the reasoning behind this build…why go for a weird enclosure and unconventional meepo guts when the IDEA deck has a really nice enclosure made for it and there’s a plethora of much better parts available?

1 Like

Are there any hub motors out there that don’t heat up to crazy levels?

no, not really

1 Like

Either is all good for me. Once it fits a standard baseplate is all good. I use paris baseplates on meepos hub motor hangers.

Meepo V3 hubs have been solid for years.

1 Like

Maybe in he future we will see a robust high power hub motor like @hummieee made.

1 Like

I checked, SHREDDER hangers are lower than Paris, Caliber II etc, so if yours fit Paris then MEEPO has 2 RKP standards

I appreciate honesty so I’ll be honest too :slight_smile:

This whole project is controversial

1. I designed and made hangers for Surf-rodz TKP baseplates. SR trucks were top of the line 3-4 years ago, they are great but nobody buys them and a 2 piece hanger can be dangerous with standard M6 bolts.
  2. Meepo hub motors overheat, are inefficient (high power consumption), esc LingYi is also not ideal :slight_smile:
  3. The printed enclosure with interchangeable batteries is also controversial. Not very durable, low battery capacity, complicated multi-element design, etc.

If I wanted to build the perfect board I would choose:

1. A direct drive or gear drive with TKP or RKP trucks
  2. Eboosted SS enclosure
  3. Small effective ESC such as GO-FOC DV6 PRO (There are smaller ones but this one has been on sale for a long time and has good reviews)

But does everything have to be perfect and make sense :slight_smile:
Sometimes you have to do something stupid :rofl:

Doing stupid things provokes me to think, sometimes there are other interesting ideas

6 Likes

I’m afraid not… the main problem is the wheel which is an isloator, the best alternative is probably DD

1 Like

Use the same wire mesh wheels as NASA puts on lunar and Mars rovers, lots of airflow then :grin:

1 Like

If I ever build a board to ride on Mars or the moon, I will definitely do that :rofl:

Do really really need high powered hubs? Hubs have been good for years. Hubs that can get up to 30mph and brake well enough are good enough. Low maintenence, low roll resistance, low profile and low noise gets a thumbs up. Hubs give you a longboard vibe when rolling. The only issue are the lack of sleeve options. If you need more power we have belts.

1 Like

I tested cheap miniature 5S BMS , unfortunately they are crap, my power supply is going crazy. I keep searching.

1 Like

I have a dilemma whether to close this project. I’m disappointed with the Meepo drive, I don’t know if the problem is the poor quality of the motors or the LingYi ESC but the power consumption is dramatically high.
I temporarily installed a 10S4P battery with Samsung 35E cells. so the theoretical capacity is about 500Wh. The range of this board is not more than 45km, driving very slowly (20-25km/h), without much acceleration.

With the mounted gear drive and 5065 motors and ABEC 107 wheels, the range with the same driving style will be 75-80km.

I’m not talking about driving comfort because ABEC 107 compared to Meepo wheels is a huge difference.

Perhaps I will build 2 boards instead of one.
The first will have a classic enclosure, a 35E 10S4P battery and a Meepo drive kit.
The second one will have a gear drive with small 5065 motors and ESC based on VESC and for this set I will design a enclosure with interchangeable 21700 batteries, but the concept of the enclosure will have to change because the ESC will be bigger.

However, I am considering whether to design for the first board wide RKP hangers in the standard Caliber II, Paris, then it would be possible to use a cheap baseplate or my unusual bracket with a baseplate

2 Likes