I need help please

Idk where you guys are getting this from

Lead free solder that is good, makes excellent joints. Are you just inexperienced at soldering or something?

I’ve never had a problem with lead free + appropriate flux application. If you know what you’re doing, you can make just as good joints; in addition, you don’t have to be touching lead while you’re working with it.

2 Likes

Not worrying about touching lead while instead using abundant flux… Hmm gotta feel the same safety precautions needed.

Who said abundant?

Appropriate flux application shouldn’t even need to come in contact with your skin lol

Also it should be noted some flux is much worse than others

1 Like

I guess to be specific more abundant than if using lead based.

Hmm would be nice to test that, how effective flux is on lead and non lead based solder joints.

Welp anyways, I am a believer in lead free, works fine for me. Has a higher melting point though so I guess if your soldering iron isn’t strong enough it can be more annoying

This is what I use, it works wonderfully

The real question is, how necessary are fume extractors, leaded or not.

Edit:

After reading some, I will admit it seems the flux and fumes are worse for you with unleaded. However, not harder to solder besides the higher melting point

1 Like

Lead free solder can go suck a fat one. Especially for a beginner. It’s a PITA and highly demotivating.

5 Likes

I started with lead free and I too cannot understand whats so bad about it. Turn your iron up 20° (C) and it behaves EXACTLY like leaded solder. It just has a more matte finish when it solidifies which leads people to think its a cold joint, which is bs most of the time.

1 Like

I started with lead free and went through about 5 different soldering irons not understanding why I couldn’t get it to flow…

Got 60/40 and it was like being in heaven.

Perhaps not all lead free solders are made equal.

4 Likes

could be, I’m using generic stuff from the hardware store though. :smiley:

I was using shockingly cheap shit I found on ebay :rofl: maybe i should revisit lead free solder from the same brand of solder that i use now

lmao yeah sounds like we succesfully identified your problem. :laughing:

I had the same experience. Have only been happy with my results since getting MG Chem 60/40.

3 Likes

i’m happy with my kester 63/37

fucc lead free :rofl:

leaded is perfectly fine for hobbyist levels of soldering unless you eat that shit
way easier to work with, and often times don’t need to use extra flux

1 Like

I have been finding myself leaving the flux alone lately. With a little bit of technique and a reasonable amount of flux in the solder, you can definitely get away without using extra flux. It does make some things much easier tho.

2 Likes

yeye
i usually only reach for it if i notice the joint going a bit dry

I second this. I’ve been soldering for 31 years. FUCK lead-free solder.

Yeah, I can use it. But why? It’s absolute shit and I couldn’t ever recommend it in good faith for anything. It’s literally got no use aside from maybe on spacecraft or if you need to comply with RoHS and/or are mass-producing items for commercial sale. For a one-off custom electric vehicle build, it’s nigh useless IMHO.

Definitely not. This Kester stuff is great though. @Linesflag same bag as you. However, I’ve had two good rolls of solder so that helps

1 Like

Or maybe you just don’t want to be touching lead and worrying about it being stuck on your hands

Doesn’t wash off with normal soap, yknow

2 Likes

Eh, I’ve been using it for a long time and I’m fine

photo-2839130-1776667a

2 Likes

I tried unleaded after a butterfinger accident where I knocked my solder station over and had a contamination scare. My experience was that it just needed higher temps and extra flux to work well, but it just made everything more difficult that noobs already have trouble with. I don’t knock anybody for looking out for their health, but you should get comfortable with it on test pieces before doing the real project

1 Like