I made a bet, and need your help to win it. MB build

While I agree with all the other good points for chains, with 9“ you really don’t want to go higher than 42:8 which equals 5.25:1.
More than 42T on 06b chains and clearance is getting shitty, or you need to go double stage which isn’t easily available.

Etoxx does sell nice chain drive kits.
They always sold out on the website, but still available as far as I know. Just send them an e-mail.

5 Likes

Or you can use imperial standards and run the smaller #25 chain, which can easily fit 60T in the same diameter of a 06B 42T. Still plenty strong enough for our applications at over 500kg of tensile strength, but smaller and easier to size. I personally run a 62:10 ratio, but I’ve seen people run as high as 70:9.

3 Likes

yeah that’s a good argument.
I‘m currently setup a board with 05b chains which should come close to the #25 size.
Not sure if I will trust it on hard off road coming from 06b chains thou.
Time will tell :sweat_smile:

1 Like

seen this on the french forum, OKP is selling a chain kit 70 euro, otherwise I think the French store that @Acido was talking about is Overion

4 Likes

Thanks, but since I have never had any contact with chain drives, I dont feel comfortable making a build with them… Anyways I’ll do some research on the matter.

2 Likes

me neither and i haven’t given it any thoughts

Here is a good place to start some reading if you want to

2 Likes

well if you have unlimited budget get jens from etoxx to build you one of those :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

12 Likes

I don’t have unlimited balls for something like that :joy:

5 Likes

The idea lives on, some decisions have been made, and I am more than happy how this develops.

I’ve made up my mind and will definitely go with 4WD. Why? Well, it’s fun and I have never done it before, that alone is enough to try it out…

On to the list

Deck - @Haeroboards - Haero Bro
Trucks - @ApexBoards - I hope those will be released in near future, if not then Matrix
VESC - @Trampa - 2x HD60
GearDrive - @moon - 2 Sets, lowest possible gearing.
Bindings - @MBS - F5
Wheels - @MBS or @Trampa - 9"
Enclosure - @3DServisas or @ApexBoards - so far 3D Servisas looks better fit since its made just for HD60 VESC, Downside is its 900g each, and thats 1.8kg just for enclosures.

In the next days I need to decide on motors, 6374 or larger. Any thoughts?

What bothers me the most is a battery enclosure, I have yet to start dealing with it, since it’s 4wd I was considering 12s8p - 12s10p of Molicell P42s, I am not a fan of how peli cases look, but on the other hand Trampa monster box fits 12s7p of 21700 and cost around 500 pounds.

Since I am really into aesthetics even knowing this thing will get dirty and scratched all over the place, placing a power leads to the VESCs on top of deck / over the bindings is not an option for me, I will be definitely routing the Bro deck to bring power to the enclosures, that said what do you guys consider to be a minimum lead thickness for this purpose?

And the remote… Don’t want to start thinking about it yet :smiley:

Thank you to all who have helped this far in any way.

6 Likes

Yeap, thats it :smiley:

2 Likes

I’d go 6384. that’s a good size and still not too heavy.

I‘m not sure how close it is for a release, but @ApexBoards might come up with a solution for the Bro deck to route power leads without cutting channels in the deck.

3 Likes

I would look into the Samsung 48g cells.
4 x 637x motors are overpowering the board already. There is only so much grip you can get down with small tires.
Cables:
TRAMPA WINGS

4 Likes

4 Likes

What is a reasonable Wh/km for a 4wd build range calculation?

50-ish?

2 Likes

Summoning @Battery_Mooch for a word of wisdom on those cells

4 Likes

He’s already done these cells

He’s selected 10A as the recommended rating and you’d need a high P-depth for those cells to make sense.

I don’t think those cells look super impressive, but of course that would depend upon what price you found them at, and how many of them you plan to put into the battery.

4 Likes

Yes, I think for a 7p it’s not quite enough. But 10p should be fine.

I would really like to go with trapma monster box, just trying to figure out the range I could expect with 12s7p p42 molicells

2 Likes

I would guess 35+Wh/km you can save set as consumption, depending on the terrain for sure.
That’s something in the 30-40km range with that pack.

2 Likes

Could also do your own enclosure save some money and gain some experience

1 Like

I could, the thing is that I’ve done all my previous batteries by myself. And I am a bit tired of spot welding :joy: getting a pack done by someone else and shipped to Serbia is a logistical nightmare. That’s why the no spot weld system from trampa is so tempting for this occasion…

@Trampa what would be solution for connecting 2 vesc hd60 to a wand remote considering the position of the vesc would be at the opposite tails of the deck.

I am trying to avoid running all 6 phase + sensor wires per side from the monster box to the motors.

I could eliminate sensor wires going HFI but would prefer running just 2 instead of 6

2 Likes