I had feared this was coming — Lacroix Underwater

Huh You’re right I didn’t even look at the picture.

1 Like

So are the individual cells really reading 0 volts still? Seems like a strange situation.

Yeah the parallel 8 cells in that series row are all 0 volts. One cell must have died and shorted or there was some draw that happened just to that row.

It had been several months since it had been charged, but all the other rows were at 3.7V. After not using it, it had plugged it in to charge and took it out and rode it for a bit before it noticed it was already complaining about low battery. Figured out it didn’t actually charge. Maybe that ride took the already low voltage cells down to zero?

1 Like

Possibly, but if the cells were already that far out of balance, there was definitely something wrong with that P group in the first place (probably some sort of short). Maybe the BMS prevented the pack from charging because it noticed that that P group was out of the safe voltage range.

2 Likes

Yeah the BMS definitely stopped it from charging due to that. The pack was sitting idle for several months so any issue to any battery on that P group could have drained it to 0.

Since it is a charge only BMS it still was allowing it to discharge when in this state as well. Makes a good case for the BMS to be able to talk to the VESC…

1 Like

If an ESC had a second negative connection (P-) that you connect to the BMS, the ESC could be notified that the BMS has signaled a problem, and be able to gradually cut power while leaving braking functional, then completely turn off once stopped.

Similar to this, when the lights go out, pull over and stop because there is a major battery problem.

2 Likes

Sooo… is lacroix europe a different entity entirely?

I see i can buy supersport and barrel boards, at a 20% discount. If i remember correctly they won’t ship to uk however, but £2600 for a base supersport before tax doesn’t sound terrible

For an expensive item like this almost worth delivering to hotel in France near booze outlet by the ferryport stay the evening, burying it under booze & drive right through HMRC

2 Likes

Anybody would think you had done it before :thinking::thinking::thinking:

Last thing do do is put a plug of weed in the tailpipe of the car in front :smirk:

2 Likes

Eh… £50 petrol each way, £80 ferry each way, £100 or so decent hotel and i get to pay the croissant people’s vat on top of it all. Oh and when was there ever a reliable delivery estimate?

On the flip side, i get to stock up on full fat drinks, eclairs and some posh wine from auchan. I loaded the car last time

4 Likes

I don’t have much more info than you guys at this point regarding the situation as I have been very busy with other projects that I should be able to say more about somewhat soon ( not e-skate stuff so don’t get too excited) and I have always been not great at splitting my focus. But I did just want to comment that nobody at LaCroix ever discouraged me from participating in these forums, I just generally found my joy from participating in them was waning while the stress and anxiety was waxing so I made a personal decision to reduce involvement.

Been working a lot on my own mental health and there are parts of being involved in these communities I find really rewarding so maybe I will try and step back in a bit more moving forward but it can just be hard to filter out some of the negative stuff and not let it effect the daily mood too much. But it is still a nice community to be involved in that I have gotten a lot out of just have to do what’s best for me.

Not sure on the future of Stormcore, overall I want to move away from the new DRV chips in my designs as they have been really batch to batch mixed results. But maybe I will look at a design for another skate-scaled esc sometime soon as a fun side project.

27 Likes

I’m glad you’re looking after yourself.
You have made a massive impact on this community and opened doors to progress that just wouldn’t have been possible without your input.
Interested to hear what you’ve been working on and any fun side projects. :ok_hand:

9 Likes

giving any money to a lacroix entity/subsidiary at the moment is a pretty bad idea.

They look entirely like a distributor with Euro name rights who wish to sell off remaining stock on hand. It’s not very legal to go into chap11 (or whatever you call it in Canada) continue to take money in another jurisdiction & not send anything…we have strong consumer rights in Europe & the company receivership would object a little…

And no I refuse to charge the phone

2 Likes

I finally got around to repairing a buddies vortex battery where one series cell was done. Thanks @glyphiks for the parts!!

I did have an issue where the cell voltage on 5-6 and 9-10 appear to be jumping around only when it is balancing. If I turn balancing off they are fine. Is this just an artifact on balancing with the sp15S051 BMS with the cells out of balance? Or bad BMS? I could probably hook the high cells to my electronic load and bring them in quicker.

Measuring the cells, none of them are actually above 4.2 at the battery and all the voltages are rock solid. I am a little suspicious of the balance line fuses on the board as well. They are ~3-4ohm.

1 Like

just wanted to chime in and give some credits where credits are due. I have 3 plutoniums from bioboards and they got better and better with each iteration and even the first one had little issues, the newest likely got none, and even the old p2s is so much eye-watering fun, not easy to explain. give em some more business, despite my past rants, as I am perfectionist. bb has become perfect in my view. most expensive, I know, but you finally get what you pay for now. no more issues, and regular service has become easier with fast swap drive and herringbone gears, will order my 4th, some day soon. don’t let this happen to bioboards, they are awesome. one should not risk his life going faster than 30, 3 inches above the ground, on anything other than perfection.

4 Likes

Old-ish thread, and new here ( first post) ((hello all). This is where I am at. I got into this only a few months ago, buying a b-one AT board. Being a long time Snowboarder I am hooked and upgrading anything and everything on my board at the moment. Will eventually build my own custom once I learn the ins and outs.

Glad to finally be on the forum and not just a lurker :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Welcome! You can’t escape now, DIY is your life :grinning:

6 Likes

Looks like BKB is bringing back the stormcore…

3 Likes