I got two 100 amp Motors do I need a 200 amp battery

I’m trying to get the maximum out of my Motors

No

6 Likes

Only if you have an ESC powerful enough to use 200 battery amps. I.e., still have stupid acceleration / torque while already going at full speed.

Most vesc based ESCs people here use can’t take that much battery current, but can drive motors at 100 motor amps each, which will let you use your motors at their max for acceleration from stand-still.

So yeah, short answer is – No. Aiming for a 100A continuous capable battery should be enough for you to have fun with your motors :slight_smile:

No. Battery amps ≠ Motor amps.

You can theoretically Pull 200 Motor amps while only using 30 Battery amps.

1 Like

Another question how would I figure out amperage if it doesn’t show on the battery

Figure out what cells it uses. With this you can find out the theoretical amps your battery can push. Doesn’t tell if the construction or the BMS allow it.

2 Likes

What motors are they? I don’t think I’ve ever seen an amp rating on motors and it’s always a wattage rating.

grafik

grafik

grafik

3 Likes

Rrr I should say I don’t remember much and mostly just see wattage ratings. But what motors are they anyway and the ratings can be misleading

2 Likes

They are 190kv 63100 flipsky motor

1 Like

Each motor is 5500W

12s6p p42 and up from there would do the trick

What kind of BMS do you recommend for that kind of battery

1 Like

Jbd

BLDC motors don’t actually have any inherent maximum current or wattage limits.

Their limits are based on temperature. Magnets have a maximum temperature, adhesives have a maximum temperature, windings and insulation have a maximum temperature, bearings have a maximum temperature.

The ratings you see are rough guides that keep you operating at acceptable temperatures under normal use cases, but are only rough suggestions.

4 Likes

As you know the motor does have a max amps it will take before no longer linearly producing torque from those amps, when magnetically saturating, and is probably the only hard line that can be drawn. But you can keep jamming in amps if you’re willing to take the heat.

1 Like

then ur magnet demagnetized, motor slip, fuck up the esc phase timing and kaboom

1 Like

How badly does the stator have to saturate for the esc to lose timing and when does that end in a blown esc? I’m sure I’ve saturated motors and had no bad effects on timing or at least not noticeable when riding

I don’t see the magnets being demagnetizing by a saturated stator. I don’t think electrical steel even if pushed to its limit deep into saturation can hold a magnetic field strong enough to do that. The heat from the saturating stator need not be that bad if for bursts

Saturation. They have an effective current limit that way. Torque per amp goes down the drain

4 Likes