Hoyt St UAV/ROSA trucks... on a DIY.

Well most baseplates are not high strength alloy steel, so that’s a downgrade. Also depends how thick the plate is, if it has enough threads. You can try this yourself by tapping existing thru holes to the next size up - quite simple and quick.

6 Likes

giphy (20)

7 Likes

For the ones that are literally machined from 7075 aluminium i don’t see why that would be a problem

It doesn’t literally matter what grade of aluminum you use - threading soft metals is a bad idea for repeated, structural fastening.

But again, do it. Tell us how it goes.

5 Likes

Also you’d then have to threadlock the bolts instead of using a locknut with nylon to keep it secure. I prefer nuts.

4 Likes

For reference.

We’d like to take feedback on which length axles we should add to our options

3 Likes

For DIYing, having 50mm axles available the mountless hanger (front) would be ideal.

1 Like

Including or not including threads?

Full axle length, so including threads. What BN has is perfect.

3 Likes

@Stealther, threaded holes in the base plate is 100% wrong for many more reasons than I care to share, and @hoytskate surely knows that.
That aside, I would recommend no slots for the lock nut at all, for many reasons…
It is not difficult to use a wrench on the nut while tightening the base to the deck, and is clearly adding some confusion with #10 screws vs M5.
Most importantly, adding those slots is adding to the cost of the parts being made.( and for what added benefit?) The manufacturer making these, is having to use an 8mm endmill, protruding at least 25-30mm from the tool holder to make these. When the end mill protrudes that far, (Diameter vs length), the machining times are longer.

10 Likes

I’ll add that the thickness of the plate where it matters most is reduced

3 Likes

I really enjoyed riding these on the UAV. I honestly didnt even realize how fast i was going on them. They’re so stable and smooth!

3 Likes

A regular rockstar hub requires about 40mm of usable axle, with thread on top of that.

A regular rockstar with a nylon MBS pulley requires about 70mm from the face of the mount to the start of the thread.

6 Likes

I am using this system with the Trampa Orssom trucks.
“14 fifties” i think it’s called or something.

The baseplates are threaded like you said and I have to say, it works really well. I have been a bit of a brute in my first diy year and the trampa board is the only one I never managed to strip any thread on.

Did a lot of deck swaps already with these trucks because it’s just so easy. Only one tool needed.

Don’t like praising Trampa anymore because frank is a bitch but damn they did well on those trucks. They also came with a spare piece to fit drop through decks better. Check the website for more info it’s 5 am here I’m rektt

5 Likes

Hey everyone!

We have much longer axles available now! I made sure they’d fit basically every combo of wheel and pulley out there! :grin:

7 Likes

is that a challenge?

2 Likes

Dually time, just to prove @jack.luis wrong?

2 Likes

Yes.

2 Likes

When you gonna make a thread bout Rositas?

They aren’t real.