How to update firmware on the Flipsky 75100 & 75200 FOC ESC

New revision out. Just received yesterday after blowing the first two I received around Xmas.

Blue vs white PCB, PS section has changed and there are three current sensing resistors stacked vs V1 using only one.

1 Like

Great pictures!

Definitely don’t run the hacked firmware on that version.

When you plug it into the VESC tool, what hardware version shows up?
Do you have an ST-LINK to pull the firmware off and post it?
How have your ESCs failed?

FW is 5.2 if that’s what your asking. I also saw something that mentioned 75/300??? Might be HW version. Not 100% sure. Sorry, brain is a little foggy right now.

I tried to run the newer VESC tool( forget the version # too). Anyway, it let me use the tool, warned it might work, might not. It worked I thought.
I went to FW section, updated to 5.3, it flashed it. I ran the FOC wizard, everything was all jacked up! Motor stuttered, luckily, no smoke.

I quit, started the older VESC tool version, gave me warning I was using FW made for the newest version Tool. Still let me connect, went to firmware section and flashed 5.2 back on. Ram the FOC tool and works ran fine.

Yes, I have a ST link, I can connect via SWD, extract and send you the file. Since I have bought two 75/100s I’ll use the one I haven’t flashed FW as described above. Haven’t even opened the package yet, I’ll extract FW before connecting to VESC tool. Might find time tomorrow.

Honestly, I don’t know what caused the last two to fail. One failed with stock FW. Weird failure that occurred while connecting to battery without a resistor or anti spark to limit inrush current. I opened the case and one MOSFET shorted out, it seemed to arc between the upper back corner of the FET through the kapton tape to the AL heatsink that the FETs are bolted to. I disassembled, flattened the HS, applied new kapton tape and reassembled. No drama when I reapplied power but it was still no bueno. The ST405 seemed to overheat, shut down and repeat. Also noticed a burn on one of three small 6 pin SMD components located near the gate drivers for each phase. I have a pic of it somewhere, If I find it I’ll post it. Would be nice if replacing could fix the ESC. A little hot air and flux would be all it takes.

For the ESC running the modded FW… I have no idea. I used it in coastal NC throughout most of January and Feb while I was licking my wounds at my parents house after a super brutal midlife illness followed by an even worse divorce, lost house, involved children . My mini retirement came to an end so I moved back DC area in March. I’m in MD just of DC, it’s right on the fall line so there are a few mild hills. Towards the end of my first long distance ride the ESC failed again in a weird way. It was an aggressive ride, I pushed things pretty hard, WOT most of the ride. Some hills but not big ones. I wasn’t worried about thermal issues as it was damn cold out! Cold enough where I needed Long johns then flannel PJs then pants, hoodie with a ski jacket over it. Here’s the awesome part. Heated gloves where I tossed the proprietary 3s Milwaukee battery and used some DIY 3s 16650s that are stashed in a inner pocket of my jacket!! Lol!!! Work great, never would know either.

I think the ESC failure wasn’t really an ESC related problem if that makes sense. Let me explain. It may have been triggered by a short circuit on my DIY battery inside the scooter. I did have a pretty wild short that occurred after the failure. Long story but it culminated with me frantically ripping off the battery cover so I could cut loose rip open and toss aside half of a 4s 6p booster pack I put in series with a 10s6p pack. 12 cells of the 4s6p booster that were spewing hot electrolyte out their PTCs. The other 12 cells were close to a lot of heat but are still holding their voltage well. Probably won’t be using those cells for anything but hand warmers.

No visible signs of damage on any ESC component. I need to desolder FETs to check with multimeter if there OK.

1 Like

Interesting, so that’s the current sense amplifier. I’ve killed one of these on a Trampa VESC 6 because water travelled down the motor sensor wire cable and got the chip wet with salt water. Must have shorted it out. Replaced it and the ESC works. Full part number for the 18JD on the 75100V201 is INA181A1IDBVR

I was hoping to see what the VESC tool is displaying for a hardware version (Hw: 75_300_R2 I’m guessing).

The stock 5.2 bin file that it ships with would be very helpful.

Sorry to hear about all of your other issues. It sounds like your life is a roller coaster!

2 Likes

Thanks!! Yeah, life’s a big fluster cluck right now. Keeping my mind busy with hobbies like this is key to staying sane and sober.

I looked for my ST-Link, nowhere to be found. Think I left it in NC, I know I used it while there to flash an NRF module via SWD with directions you linked me on another 75/100 thread here. Luckily, there is a Microcenter within scooter distance from my current “home”. I’m positive they have one there. They have an incredibly well-stocked maker/electronics section. A very rare thing these days! Will head there tomorrow, hopefully on a scooter or else I’ll drive.

Current sense amp… hmmm… totally makes sense now given the INA prefix in the full part #. They must boost the sense resistors on the opposite side of the board then feed back to the ST405. At first I thought it was a 5V or 3.3V reg but its 6pins vs 5pins and there is one for each phase, Vreg just did not make sense. Thanks again. Will either order from Digikey or lift from a bad 75/100.
Unrelated question…, actually might be related. I’m noticing my hall sensors are not working properly. I have 5V and ground, A,B,C phase coming from the sensors. I’m positive that all are properly wired. With the ESC powered on and multimeter set to DC voltage neg lead to hall sensor ground positive lead to a sensor phase I notice a fluctuation of a few volts while slowly turning the motor by hand. Only two of the three phases have this behavior, one phase just shows 5V. Im assuming the sensor is bad?? Ive read that there are issues with hall sensors blowing with VESC.

This is my first foray into VESC and BLDC hub motors with hall sensors. Sensorless BLDC is another story, been using them ever since they became available for RC flight. Sensorless ESCs have come a long way but it’s almost unheard-of for them to use anything but BEMF for position sensing. A few ESCs for RC cars/trucks use sensored motors/ESCs. Also there are a few sensorless ESCs like T motor that are implementing their version of FOC(which is absolutely incredible on VESC) but it’s still rare and expensive.

Yes! I think there were some units floating out there where the included wiring diagram from flipsky was labeled incorrectly, ADC1 and ADC2 reversed. Just use the diagram on their website for the correct diagram.

1 Like

Thanks and btw I have the white v1 version, just found out after you posted pics of the v2. Hopefully mine will last :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Oh good, don’t try to update yet. I found it will let you use the latest version of VESC tool after a few warnings and it will let you flash/ upgrade FW. For me it did not work, motor stuttered bad after FOC Wizard , I had to go back to the previous version of VESC tool and flash the default bin from there to get it back in action.

I read on the endless sphere thread about this ESC that someone was able to get the the upgrade FW working by adjusting a current sense value setting in VESC tool. I haven’t tried that yet as I read about it after I flashed back to default.

What is your application? Let us know how you make out.

1 Like

building a drift trike if thats what your asking, ill just leave it on 5.2 as i think thats whats on it from what i read.

i updated my SC to 5.3 and it was all messed up, glad @jaykup is real bro and helped me get the file to get back on 5.2

2 Likes

If you have the white circuit board with version 75100V201 printed on it, you can use the firmware in this thread, either 5.2 or 5.3. 5.2 seems to be more stable, but 5.3 has field weakening to increase top speed.

If you have the blue circuit board with version 75100V202 printed on it, you can update through the VESC tool. Make sure this setting is turned off after you update to 5.3+. Motor → FOC → Filters → Enable Phase Filters = FALSE

3 Likes

Thanks for all the work and advice you have contributed to this thread, I know it’s appreciated by all.

2 Likes

Great, I haven’t yet checked the Endless sphere thread sounds like 5.3 is working after altering filters setting.

Second Paul with his appreciation for your help with this ESC. Hopefully, the hardware changes will make the 75/100 better.

I’m almost done installing mine. This time I added Bluetooth (flashed an Adafruit nrf51 module via SWD ) so logs can be read,but cant get it to work right with any app, it shows up in half the apps, baud set to 115200, also tried 9600 for shits and giggles but switch back, switched tx/rx, but still, no bueno. Need to charge my Samsung S20FE, daily driver is an iPhone 13 pro that I got suckered into :frowning: nice phone but IMO Andriod is still better. Much more open. I’ll post logs here when I get it all working.

EDIT; So I flashed 5.3 and changed filters to false. Ran FOC wizard, motor runs smooth. With motor/battery current settings as they were in 5.2 I’ve noticed much less torque than 5.2. Im running in sensorless mode because I lost a hall sensor when my last 75/100 failed. Maybe that has something to do with the low torque?

Huge positive thing is that once I do get up to speed field weakening is very noticable! Im extremely impressed!!! I just need to figure out the torque issue because I can barely climb mild hills, hills that I used to accelerate while climbing. Now Im crawling, almost stalling.

This - i think will be interested link

… but as new one can not post link… or picture

I Found short info from oryginal designer of version 75100

Go to vesc vadder page… and find post name

75100 ESC Hardware and firmware open source

“I am the original author of 75100 hardware.I’m still a student and like DIY E-bike…”

There is github to firmware too :slight_smile:

/regards Jerry sp3swj

1 Like

So as I understand, it is now ‘safe’ and possible to update FW to 5.03 for 75100v 202 version as well?

Just need to set the mentioned filter to false?

Otherwise vesc is acting up and missing some power, trouble running hub motor BLDC detection as well, as software just resets itself…

Yes, 5.3 is working for me on a 14s powered ninebot max with filter set to false. I still have some tuning to do. As I mentioned above there seems to be much less torque with 5.3 vs 5.2 , current settings are the same but it could be something Im overlooking.

I actually haven’t tried the stock 5.2 on the blue PCB V2 beyond testing with no load on motor. Everything has been done with 5.3 flashed and filters disabled.

Field weakening is definitely noticable for me. I havent found a long enough stretch yet to see what my top speed is. All I know is that if I can figure out the torque issue the performance is going to above and beyond any expectation I had switching over to VESC

1 Like

Yeah, I remember reading info about that guy as well.

This is interesting, the SMD version is especially nice. vesc 75100 ESC Hardware and firmware open source - Endless Sphere

1 Like

Just downgraded to 5.2 with VESC Tool 3.00. Lower end torque is back, I’m running sensorless mode, no HFI, no problems with motor starting from a standstill. . Its actually running better than it was with the white PCB 75/100 V1. Only thing I did different was I chose the DD hub motor vs large outrunner during the FOC wizard. The values measured/calculated by the wizard was very similar so I cant see how it would really make much of a difference.

I set motor current max to 100, Absolute Max 120A. Battery max 100A , max regen -60 max batt regen -60A.

If only I could get field weakening in addition to the low end torque this scooter would be a beast!

Something I noticed that is different with V2 in VESC Tool 3.0 is that in FOC advanced, the switching frequency is set to 40khz by default, this is up from the default of 30khz with V1. Id figure lower switching speeds would produce slightly more torque but I notice the opposite. Probably unrelated though.

So, for me there is still something off with 5.3 even after turning off filters.

Jaykup, Im going to pull the stock FW bin for you soon. I picked up a ST link tool, just need to take apart my spare V2 to access the SWD pins. From now on Im going to extend the SWD connection and leave it outside of the enclosure.

1 Like

I’ve been pretty busy with a few other projects, but long story short version 2 using the stock 75_300_R2 makes little sense to me. I’m surprised it works at all. Very different hardware and 5.3 had quite a few changes related to those hardware differences.

I think I have all the info needed to compile a custom firmware for the new version 2 for 5.3. I’m wondering if that will fix the low torque issue. I’ll try to get to this over the weekend for you to test @barthchris as I don’t have a V2 version.

2 Likes

Hello, is there any information with the firmware for version v2? The factory firmware did not run, right now I’m driving on your v5.3, it works, there is a moment, but it displays the voltage instead of 13s - 19s (54.6 - 80.2)

Yes, I did compile 5.3 for the version 2.

I don’t have a version 2 ESC to test the firmware, but Chris was kind enough to test it and it seemed to work well for him.

I’ve added it to the main post.

2 Likes