How to update firmware on the Flipsky 75100 & 75200 FOC ESC

Anyone knows how the latest V2 compares to previous V2?? Here a picture of side-by-side:

Seems that V2 has phase filters, and maybe that is why the PCB seems more populated?

Can I use this firmware with filtering on the currents, on this new V2??

That both units did fail. On one the white PCB was making a noise and the blue LED blinking, and the other VESC unit got in short. As I though the one in short where the mosfets, I decided to swap the working white board to the mosfets board that was not in short:

And guess what?? it worked!! The motor works as expected, everything seems fine.
On the picture is shown the ESP32-C3 DIY board running the VESC Express and I use it to connect to my PC, using Bluetooth, and the VESC tool software, to configure the motor.

But this 75200 VESC V2 has the same issue, the motor makes a noise at startup, just like the previous version - that was improved with this firmware that filters the read phase currents.

2 Likes

When did they fail? During detection or under hard load? And what motor? Im just curious, ive got half a dozen of these and i push them pretty hard, but have yet to pop one of them though. Just got a V2 in the mail today to test out

Also, did you do the 3.3v mod on the v1? The custom firmware fixed them for the most part but one specific type of motor it did not, but the 3.3v mod + firmware actually made a pretty big difference (see post #326 in this thread)

The V1 failed when I connected it to my battery and I forgot that the BMS was enabling the output - I saw a big spark and the ESP32-S3 board I had connected by UART, got “burned” as also the UART port of the V1. Since V1 has 2 UART ports, I simple built again my EScooter board based on ESP32-S3 and connected again to V1 but using the other working UART port.
But one month later of regular use, I connected a long USB cable to the ESP32-S3 and my PC, and for some reason, the V1 was making a noise and the blue LED blinking irregularly, like if was in sync with the noise… then the V1 was not working anymore.

Because I was afraid of such issue, I bought V2 and had it in stock. I did an initial motor detection and tried to use it by using the scooter - clearly the motor parameters were not well detected. Then on next try to detect the motor, I enabled the Slow ABS Current Limit and on a next try, even with wheel on the air, I used throttle to make the motor running at max speed but suddenly the system did shut down and I verified that the BMS was protecting, because the cells were each at about 0.2 volts and the BMS detected undervoltage. I tried to force enable the BMS and it always protected due to undervoltage - then I measured with the multimeter the V2 battery input and verified it was in short circuit.

On V1, I just did the firmware mod.

The motor is a 2000W dual phase Lunye motor:

Do you expect to make the mods to V2? because V1 are on selling anymore, the V2 is the most cheap now, costs me 105€ (including shipping and taxes, to my country Portugal).
I think V1 will not be produced anymore, so this mods need to be updated to V2.

Lunyee 2000W motor and I am running it with a 20S / 72V battery. With a rotor that runs at 810 RPM wheel on the air, at 48V. This is a 12 inches wheel / tire, that should run at 70kms/h, tire on the air, with the 72V. With load (me with 105kgs on top of the micro scooter) gets up to 55kms/h at least, in flats.

More photos and details of this motor and my build, here: Fiido Q1S: VESC + modular DIY OpenSource electronics and software | Endless Sphere DIY EV Forum

And I would like to share that for the anti-spark switch, I use a battery BMS that includes that switch functionality, the JBD BMS. We just need to short 2 wires to enable the BMS switch.

But to avoid wires, I built a small DIY board that has an accelerometer and detects when I shake a bit the scooter, and enables a rele, that will short the BMS switch wires. So, to power on my scooter, I just take it from the garage and it powers on as soon I touch it.
To power off, it has a timeout of 2 minutes, without movement and the scooter power off.
But also, this board receive a command by wireless, to turn off the scooter. The DIY display I build communicates wireless with this board, and when long press the power button on the display, it sends the power off command to this board and the scooter powers off immediately.

The DIY board:

The schematic - is so basic:

Forgot to mention this board and firmware are OpenSource, I shared on GitHub. The schematic is very basic. The firmware is also very simple, in Python.

Here is the link to the Automatic switch anti-spark for JBD BMS:

Almost identical to the motors i was having issues with as well, 60h hub motor. Runs great now with the firmware and 3.3v mod. Was unrideable before.

Good to know!
And you mean with the Makerbase VESC 75200 V2 OLD??

When you have the V2, please let me know. Do you expect to apply the same mods to it?

I got my motor working more or less ok. I did many tries on the values like L, R, lambda, etc. I also found that I need to used this option, at that is not the default one:

From VESC firmware master branch, I backported the Makerbase hardware configurations to firmware V6.02 branch. Then I also added the code for the motor phase currents filtering. The result is amazing, just like I had before on Makerbase VESC 75200 V1, now on Makerbase VESC 75200 V2 with this firmware, I get the motor detection always with similar values and correct, unlike with original firmware. I also now get the motor start almost 100% silent and with more torque!!

I shared the sources codes of my changes as also the binary firmware files to be flashed with the VESC Tool 6.02 - download the firmware here: Release filtered_currents_mksesc_75_200_v2 · casainho/bldc · GitHub

1 Like

Awesome @casainho !
There appears to be a typo in the github link, I poked around till I found this:

Thanks!

I did a release, that includes built firmware for the Makerbase and Flipsky VESCs models - download here: Release VESCs_fix_noisy_currents-firmware_6.02 · casainho/bldc · GitHub

I also did a pull request on the VESC repository, with my changes. It not ok to me merged but is more to give awareness to this issues on the VESCs. I did mention the makerbase-motor github profile, because it was the one who did submit to VESC the Makerbase VESCs hardware configurations.

This firmware filters the motor phase currents and makes the motor detection more stable and correct, and the motor is much more silent at startup and with more torque, compared to original VESC firmware.
See here the changes I did: GitHub - casainho/bldc at VESCs_fix_noisy_currents-firmware_6.02

Download the attached VESCs_fix_noisy_currents-firmware_6.02.zip. Inside you will find firmware for Makerbase and Flipsky VESCs models, like the Makerbase MKSESC_75_200_V2 or Flipsky 75_100_V2.

This firmware can be flashed with the VESC Tool 6.02.

Credit: changes by github user korjaa (Commits · korjaa/bldc · GitHub). See discussion here: How to update firmware on the Flipsky 75100 & 75200 FOC ESC - #318 by casainho

Was tested on my Lunyee 72V 2000W dual phase motor, installed on a micro scooter Fiido Q1S, using a Makerbase MKSESC_75_200_V2 and a 72V battery - more info here.

Lunyee 72V 2000W dual phase motor

Fiido Q1S micro scooter with a Lunyee 72V 2000W dual phase motor installed on the rear wheel

The pull request I did to VESC, is here: Fix noisy currents on Makerbase and Flipsky models by casainho · Pull Request #704 · vedderb/bldc · GitHub

@jaykup , would be possible for you to update the first message with the links to this firmware? This firmware is based on Makerbase official VESC hardware configurations + the firmware code to averages the motor phase currents.

3 Likes

The issue with this commit is that it changes how ALL VESCs deal with voltage/current sensing, which might not be desirable on hardware that doesn’t have this issue.

I’m not sure the best way to incorporate these makerbase/flipsky specific changes into the main vesc project code except to add some “if flipsky firmware, then do these changes” code.

I can add the firmware and other updates to the main post though

I’d leave the pull request for now though, maybe Vedder will have some ideas on how to merge that.

1 Like

Replaced the opamp to a sgm8584 as it was in the beginning. No short between the phases, 3.3v, 5V and 12V on the board, or connectors respectively. Still get the error „fault_code_high_offset_current_sensor_1“
Upon boot. Amy Idea or hint? Maybe I destroyed a trace when I changed the opamp but I couldn‘t see anything. Soldering looks (relatively) OK.

1 Like

It looks like each of the 3 outputs of that quad op amp goes through a resistor before going to the MCU, at least that’s what the VESC 75_300 schematic shows. 1k in that case. If that resistor is blown open it would probably give that error as well since it wouldn’t get a solid reading. I’m not sure if the gate drivers would also cause an issue, but it might be worth checking out. I’d probably throw the multimeter in diode mode, with positive on the DMM placed on a ground on the ESC, then use the neg on the DMM to poke around on all the gate driver pins to see if there are any differences… since you know two are good. Can also check the OP AMP since at least 3 of those should be the same. Not sure if the 4th op amp is disconnected or where that goes…

If all that checks out, might be the actual connection between the op amp and the shunt

EDIT: The INA240 used on the 75_300 is a “current sense amp” so it isn’t just a straight op amp and has some additional circuitry built in. Maybe a better example is the F-O-C project which uses a regular op amp.

In that case there are quite a few more passives that could be causing issues

1 Like

Sorry I don’t check back here too often, Yea that was with the v2 OLD. I havent ridden anything with the V2 (new) yet but I’ve spun a handful of motors (with pase filter ON) and have not had any issues as of yet in stock form, so unless i run into an issue they will stay stock

Nice work on the firmware! ,that should make things a bit easier for people that have issues

1 Like

i recently ordered a Flipsky 75100 Pro V2.0 to use on an ebike project. the initial howto does not seem to apply to this version? the flipsky site says it ships with version 6.02. other than the internal mods to stabilize the caps etc., would you guys recommend leaving the firmware alone? it looks like it may be a good idea to flash casainho’s version

nvm after reading a little more it looks like i need to see what vesc tool reports the firmware number as when i connect it. ill see what it says when the flipsky arrives

the pro v2.0 71500 came in. am uploading in case anyone is curious of the internals. looks like flipsky has been fixing some of the issues mentioned in the past. caps have some adhesive but i will probably add more to the ends. in youtube video i saw mentioned where gap between bus bars and battery wires could cause a hotspot and looks like those are filled in with solder now. i will try leaving phase filtering on and leaving the firmware alone but will probably be a while before i try anything since im waiting on a bunch of parts still.

3 Likes