How to update firmware on the Flipsky 75100 & 75200 FOC ESC

Almost identical to the motors i was having issues with as well, 60h hub motor. Runs great now with the firmware and 3.3v mod. Was unrideable before.

Good to know!
And you mean with the Makerbase VESC 75200 V2 OLD??

When you have the V2, please let me know. Do you expect to apply the same mods to it?

I got my motor working more or less ok. I did many tries on the values like L, R, lambda, etc. I also found that I need to used this option, at that is not the default one:

From VESC firmware master branch, I backported the Makerbase hardware configurations to firmware V6.02 branch. Then I also added the code for the motor phase currents filtering. The result is amazing, just like I had before on Makerbase VESC 75200 V1, now on Makerbase VESC 75200 V2 with this firmware, I get the motor detection always with similar values and correct, unlike with original firmware. I also now get the motor start almost 100% silent and with more torque!!

I shared the sources codes of my changes as also the binary firmware files to be flashed with the VESC Tool 6.02 - download the firmware here: Release filtered_currents_mksesc_75_200_v2 · casainho/bldc · GitHub

1 Like

Awesome @casainho !
There appears to be a typo in the github link, I poked around till I found this:

Thanks!

I did a release, that includes built firmware for the Makerbase and Flipsky VESCs models - download here: Release VESCs_fix_noisy_currents-firmware_6.02 · casainho/bldc · GitHub

I also did a pull request on the VESC repository, with my changes. It not ok to me merged but is more to give awareness to this issues on the VESCs. I did mention the makerbase-motor github profile, because it was the one who did submit to VESC the Makerbase VESCs hardware configurations.

This firmware filters the motor phase currents and makes the motor detection more stable and correct, and the motor is much more silent at startup and with more torque, compared to original VESC firmware.
See here the changes I did: GitHub - casainho/bldc at VESCs_fix_noisy_currents-firmware_6.02

Download the attached VESCs_fix_noisy_currents-firmware_6.02.zip. Inside you will find firmware for Makerbase and Flipsky VESCs models, like the Makerbase MKSESC_75_200_V2 or Flipsky 75_100_V2.

This firmware can be flashed with the VESC Tool 6.02.

Credit: changes by github user korjaa (Commits · korjaa/bldc · GitHub). See discussion here: How to update firmware on the Flipsky 75100 & 75200 FOC ESC - #318 by casainho

Was tested on my Lunyee 72V 2000W dual phase motor, installed on a micro scooter Fiido Q1S, using a Makerbase MKSESC_75_200_V2 and a 72V battery - more info here.

Lunyee 72V 2000W dual phase motor

Fiido Q1S micro scooter with a Lunyee 72V 2000W dual phase motor installed on the rear wheel

The pull request I did to VESC, is here: Fix noisy currents on Makerbase and Flipsky models by casainho · Pull Request #704 · vedderb/bldc · GitHub

@jaykup , would be possible for you to update the first message with the links to this firmware? This firmware is based on Makerbase official VESC hardware configurations + the firmware code to averages the motor phase currents.

3 Likes

The issue with this commit is that it changes how ALL VESCs deal with voltage/current sensing, which might not be desirable on hardware that doesn’t have this issue.

I’m not sure the best way to incorporate these makerbase/flipsky specific changes into the main vesc project code except to add some “if flipsky firmware, then do these changes” code.

I can add the firmware and other updates to the main post though

I’d leave the pull request for now though, maybe Vedder will have some ideas on how to merge that.

1 Like

Replaced the opamp to a sgm8584 as it was in the beginning. No short between the phases, 3.3v, 5V and 12V on the board, or connectors respectively. Still get the error „fault_code_high_offset_current_sensor_1“
Upon boot. Amy Idea or hint? Maybe I destroyed a trace when I changed the opamp but I couldn‘t see anything. Soldering looks (relatively) OK.

1 Like

It looks like each of the 3 outputs of that quad op amp goes through a resistor before going to the MCU, at least that’s what the VESC 75_300 schematic shows. 1k in that case. If that resistor is blown open it would probably give that error as well since it wouldn’t get a solid reading. I’m not sure if the gate drivers would also cause an issue, but it might be worth checking out. I’d probably throw the multimeter in diode mode, with positive on the DMM placed on a ground on the ESC, then use the neg on the DMM to poke around on all the gate driver pins to see if there are any differences… since you know two are good. Can also check the OP AMP since at least 3 of those should be the same. Not sure if the 4th op amp is disconnected or where that goes…

If all that checks out, might be the actual connection between the op amp and the shunt

EDIT: The INA240 used on the 75_300 is a “current sense amp” so it isn’t just a straight op amp and has some additional circuitry built in. Maybe a better example is the F-O-C project which uses a regular op amp.

In that case there are quite a few more passives that could be causing issues

1 Like

Sorry I don’t check back here too often, Yea that was with the v2 OLD. I havent ridden anything with the V2 (new) yet but I’ve spun a handful of motors (with pase filter ON) and have not had any issues as of yet in stock form, so unless i run into an issue they will stay stock

Nice work on the firmware! ,that should make things a bit easier for people that have issues

1 Like

i recently ordered a Flipsky 75100 Pro V2.0 to use on an ebike project. the initial howto does not seem to apply to this version? the flipsky site says it ships with version 6.02. other than the internal mods to stabilize the caps etc., would you guys recommend leaving the firmware alone? it looks like it may be a good idea to flash casainho’s version

nvm after reading a little more it looks like i need to see what vesc tool reports the firmware number as when i connect it. ill see what it says when the flipsky arrives

the pro v2.0 71500 came in. am uploading in case anyone is curious of the internals. looks like flipsky has been fixing some of the issues mentioned in the past. caps have some adhesive but i will probably add more to the ends. in youtube video i saw mentioned where gap between bus bars and battery wires could cause a hotspot and looks like those are filled in with solder now. i will try leaving phase filtering on and leaving the firmware alone but will probably be a while before i try anything since im waiting on a bunch of parts still.

3 Likes

thanks a lot for this! i’m using it on a ebike on 16s with the flipsky 75100 pro.

i had great experience with flipsky vescs on ebikes before (regularly pushing the mini 4.20 to 60bA and 100pA on lipo 12s) but this time, nothing worked… the first flipsky 7550 didn’t work at all, then seeing it wasn’t sold anymore, i suspected some hardware issue and switched over to the 75100 i bought in the meantime… but was having similar problems… then tried for a few days playing around with settings, but nothing worked…

finally found this, seeing it wasn’t built specifically for the 75100 pro, i was hesitant and was finishing everything else first… but now did it, and after some testing, found that the 75_100_V2_no_limits was the correct file for the flipsky 75100 pro! everything seems to work fine, including bluetooth.

2 Likes

my bike is put together now, but i think i jumped the gun by switching firmware too quickly. im on casainhos firmware i believe. from his zip folder im using the bin from path \bldc-fix_noisy_currents-firmware_6.02\package\75_100_V2\75_100_V2_no_limits. bike pulls strong except for on takeoff. if i accelerate too hard from a stop/low speed it will jerk and sometimes kick the abs overcurrent fault. from googling it seems like it could be motor saturation. could also be because the motor wiring is wound for high speed. sounds similar to casainhos description of his first motor. i dont know if phase filtering will help anything but figure i might as well try it since this controller supports it. is there firmware here that has phase filtering still enabled? or is there an easy way to compile casainhos firmware version with that one option changed? i dont know anything about programming have just been using the bin files.

dont know if i should post in this thread or not. im sharing in case it helps someone else. tried jaykups firmware with the flipsky 75100 pro v2. tried all kinds of settings i could find online but still seemed to stutter seemingly around the point it switches over to closed loop when launching hard from a stop. when i raised sensorless erpm to high value ~6000rpm seemed to work fine and fix the issue.but eventually while testing further started to cog and would not even take off under light throttle without jerking/cogging. noticed it would clear up when jiggling the hall sensor connector alittle and holding throttle. graphed rotor position in realtime data and found hall signal absent unless putting alittle pressure on hall sensor connector to one side or the other. from googling this looks like a jst gh connector.Common JST Connector Types – Matt's Tech Pages. i thought it might have a bad crimp so i extracted and replaced some pins from the spare 4 pin connector i had but the results were the same. connector feels fine and clicks into place when i plug it in, but does not seem to make good contact on either side. from the pics you can see it should touch the pins on either side of the socket but doesnt do that unless i push on one side. ive ordered another connector and hopefully that fixes the issue and is not a poor socket connection to the pcb as i dont think ill be able to repair that.

1 Like

Is there any test on VESCTool for the hall sensors? maybe that can help validate hall sensors…

On VESCTool more recent, from the git main branch, it have an option to see the difference from the hall sensors to the sensorless calculate angles…

Here a screenshot I took yesterday using the Flipsky 75200 V2 - so in my case, at that specific speed, is about 6 degrees that difference - maybe this can help to validate the hall sensors:

1 Like

icant remember exactly where in realtime data but i had just been turning the wheel slowly and it looked like it was showing the steps from the hall sensors. also i checked voltage at hall sensor connector power and ground at motor and was only getting .8 volts. also hall sensor detection was showing failed result. in the end i think the socket at the pcb was too loose to squeeze the pins enough. i soldered the wires directly to the pins on the board and secured it with epoxy, and hall sensor issue is fixed and runs fine now. but still has jerking under heavy throttle/low speed unless i set sensorless erpm to a high value, basically running on hall sensors for longer. casainho is the firmware version you shared for the flipsky 75100 pro v2 as well? ive tried the bin in your zip folder under \75_100_V2\75_100_V2_no_limit, but am wondering if the one in FSESC_75_200_ALU\fsesc_75_200_alu_no_limits would be better for the flipsky?

In terminal enter “hall_analyze x” with x being the amps to run the hall test at.