How to remove the bearing putter ring. Bergmister

Is there any gap for a flat head screwdriver or something?

Yes installd as a regular bearing. I want to replace the bearing because they have lived thair life and I did want to replace all of them. I did the classic bend it on the truck axel. But this one exploded and the outer bearing ring is stuck.

You can take a torch to heat the rim just around the stuck outer bearing piece. Heat it up and then put a few ice cubes into the middle of the stuck outer bearing piece.

The idea is that the rim expands and the bearing piece contracts with the ice.

5 Likes

Do I need a hammer or if done right it should work?

1 Like

I think a pair of pliers should do the trick as long as a little piece of the bearing is exposed, which judging by the picture it is

2 Likes

Also these videos should be helpful: :slight_smile:
https://youtu.be/rog8ou-ZepE

16 Likes

Should be easy
Flat head screw driver and hammer should do the trick.

Put the rim half upside down on top of 2 pieces of wood with a gap large enough for the piece to go out
Place the tip of the screw driver in an angle and gently tap it with the hammer making sure you hit the bearing house only one side at the time.

It should pop right out

2 Likes

A slide hammer would pop that right out

2 Likes

Yeah that the simplest for Mee with limited tools and space.

I’ll probably scratch the sides of the rim there the bearings sits. But a bit of sanding will make it smooth again.

1 Like

Would the rim hole expand w heat or contract?

The hole will have a slightly larger bore when hot

The hole can shrink ironically if only the hole is heated and not the entire part

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/metrology/im-heating-part-hole-shrink-fit-does-hole-get-smaller-302475/index2.html

3 Likes

That makes a ton of sense when you put it like that.

Maybe but the whole hub into the oven, as high as it will go, take it out and apply the ice cube directly to the bearing?

1 Like
3 Likes

you can literally get one at harbor freight for like 10 bucks use it in the parking lot and then go back inside and return it lol

5 Likes

Incredibly, its crappier than the amazon one and more expensive.

2 Likes

Wtf… I swear I’ve gotten one for under twenty bucks from there.
It had like no attachments tho.
(That was like 8 years ago)

literally just had to do this last night. Pardon me if somebody already posted this.

Turn it upside down so that the bearing retainer ring is facing the bench. put the rim on two blocks of wood so that there’s space between the rim’s bearing seat and the bench. Take a medium sized flat head screw driver and grab an edge on the retainer ring. pop it with a hammer lightly. Move the screwdriver to the opposite side of the retainer ring and do it again. It should pop out in two or three taps.

3 Likes

@CiscoV i should have read the entire thread firt lol you said the exact same thing.

3 Likes

Oh shit. We think like twin bros :rofl::rofl:
It shouldn’t be that hard. Hopefully is out by now :metal:t3:

1 Like