How to remove stripped screw?

Hi! So today I was trying to replace the PU sleeve on my wowgo 2S hub motors, and I stripped two of the screws holding the motor cover.

It’s M4*12 flat head hexagonal screw.

Any recommendations on how to get it out? I want to avoid drilling it out if possible, and I don’t have access to many tools either.

Dremel a slot and use a flathead screwdriver

2 Likes

I don’t have a dremel :frowning:
edit: @ZachTetra

This is what I tried yet:

Soldering the hex key in: solder didn’t stick to the screws, not even after sanding (should I try more sanding?)

Superglueing the hex key into the hex hole: as soon as I applied torque the superglue didn’t hold, the cure time was about 20 minutes btw.

hammering a slightly larger hex in: didn’t fit :frowning:

JB Weld a metal stick to it and use that as leverage, super glue is far too weak, you need a high strength epoxy

1 Like

Would any epoxy that has bonding to metal written on it work? I don’t have jb weld at the moment, but I have some other epoxys. I would probably need a few days to find jb weld at a local shop tho.

edit:
how can I reply in a way that it looks like this?

It’s if you use the arrow under a message that wasn’t the last message in the thread

2 Likes

ah okay so it doesnt work for the last message. that explains why it didn’t work

1 Like

Drill an indent next to the broach on the outer edge and use a sharp tapered drift punch to knock it loose. That is if the broach is stripped.

2 Likes

By broach you mean the top or the head of the screw? English is not my native language so please forgive me haha
I will probably try some kind of epoxy, this sounds like it would destroy the thread. I also don’t think it would fit in there, there is no space. It’s countersunk, and it’s exactly in the level of the motor cover plate.

The broach is were the Allen wrench goes into.

2 Likes

Okay, thanks for clarifying! :slight_smile:

It actually does work if it’s the last message, a notification will get sent, et cetera, but it just suppresses the graphic when it displays if it’s a reply to the post directly above it. So it always works, but doesn’t get displayed sometimes.

1 Like

Okay, thanks for clarifying it :slight_smile:

if you have any torx keys sometimes you can shove a slightly larger one into a stripped hex head and get it to grab the corners again.

Those are the ones with a six point star on them.

1 Like

This has worked well for me when nothing else has, including everything suggested above (except the dremel and slot)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VFM3Q5Y/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 Like

Thanks! I will buy a torx key than, and try this, this seems to be the easiest and simplest way, making the least amount of mess :slight_smile:

if you’re going to buy something anyway, might want to check the link @b264 posted because those are actually designed to remove screws. What i suggested was just a hack that most of the time works.

3 Likes

Well, I am in the EU and I am not sure what those are called in my language, so I will try the torx first. If it doesn’t work than I will try to figure out what the name of those is in hungarian, and try to find it somewhere locally.

Thanks for all the help! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Also, three "hail skatan"s and a small blood sacrifice wouldn’t hurt.

2 Likes