How to deal with dogs when you ride

Just stick a dog whistle on the front of the board so when you ride it whistles to make them run away… or does the whistle entice them to come closer, I forgot.

1 Like

preach!

we have a lot of “free spirit dogs” out here and i have had some success (in addition to the salient points above), with tossing dog treats toward an untethered advancing dog. this is convenient for me b/c we have dogs and lots of treats on hand.

additionally a new development to esk8 is the hand held power booster. this can help power away for a very brief time that may help in difficult situations.

be fore-warned though, emptying your power booster will inhibit the riders ability to rapidly turn corners without leaning, or so i am told.

16 Likes

oh NO you didn’t… you’re summoning the beast!

6 Likes

I just ignore them and keep calm…Dogs can sense the stress or adrenaline related to fear…I just keep the same speed and do not give a fuck…

3 Likes

When in doubt yell “SQUIRREL!” And throw a ball or something. Little know fact that squirrel actually translates into to doggo as squirrel

5 Likes

Why you do this :woman_facepalming:t4::woman_facepalming:t4::woman_facepalming:t4:

2 Likes

Local man arrested after emptying town water tower, citing an attempt “to break skateboard world speed record”

11 Likes

I get really mixed results.
I ride often by people walking their dogs in my neighborhood and in the park near my house.
It is really a mixed bag.
Some dogs don’t seem to give a hoping funt.
Others totally loose it.
If I have to ride near one on a park sidewalk I slow down to a crawl…
Only had a loose dog chase me once and once I stopped and turned to face him it ran the other way…
Oh the mixed results seem to have nothing to do with size…

2 Likes

google fastest dog
Greyhound -45mph

Can’t decide if getting chased at 45mph sounds fun or terrible.

10 Likes

I’ll help you decide.

When you wipe out and you have extremely fresh roadrash, do you want a pissed-off dog biting you at the same time?

10 Likes

I mean, it’s that very fact that makes the fun part. Chasing that ultimate adrenaline rush. It would be absolutely terrifying yet so thrilling.

5 Likes

while i can see your point, i believe you are overlooking a sad reality.

if he is racing a greyhound and is injured, they will likely put him down as they do with the other race animals

so i say, it’s fun b/c either he wins and lives to tell or he doesnt.

:kissing_heart:

2 Likes

One of my neighbors rescues greyhounds that used to race and were abandoned when they got too old.

I’ve always wanted to fully race one on my board but that seems like an awkward conversation

8 Likes

That girl here is too nice to me for chasing me. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

I always let go of the throttle these days, I think they dont like the pitched sound of the motors running so when I dont throttle their reaction is not as it was b4.

1 Like

Most dogs aren’t a problem. Dogs typically only get dangerous when they feel they have to protect something.

I have had three dog encounters that I was actually worried about. Two of them were with a Pitbull and one was with a German Shepard. The dogs were growling and looked like they were about to go into attack mode. All three times I dismounted my board, crouched, and grabbed it by the trucks and held it in front of me like a shield. Then I slowly backed away while keeping eye contact. That worked for all three.

Fortunately, the owners of the pitbull saw that during my second encounter with it and fixed their fence.

Pepper spray or the homemade equivalent. Skip the treehugger citrus and mint shit.

4 Likes

title checks out :drop_of_blood:

1 Like

I just had a bad dog interaction yesterday. I use my eskate to run my dogs. Yesterday I leashed up my cattle dogs, walked outside and Boom! Pitbull darted from the neighbor’s yard and grabbed one of my dogs by the throat. I ended up jumping on the pitbull and fighting it for a few minutes trying to get it to let go of my girl. I realized the situation wasn’t getting better and escalated force by jamming my thumb into the dogs eye. The dog still didn’t budge with my thumb up to the first knuckle in its head, so I kept pushing. The dog finally let go of my girl. She has a couple puncture wounds on her neck, I got bit a couple times. Remember if you find yourself in this situation, GO FOR THE EYES

8 Likes

dude i am so sorry that happened. i have torn my pitbulls apart before and the entire scenario is heartbreaking. my heart goes out to you and the pups.

2 Likes