How to bind the Mini Remote [Serious]

is 1.4V for a AA battery considered dead (I googled it) if so would two AA battery each reading 1.4V cause random micro cutoffs (with the mini) while accelerating and long braking? i measured both batteries in the remote and got 2.9V powered and 3.0V powered off

This is the exact behavior of the Mini right before the AA batteries die.

3 Likes

after replacing the batteries do i have re-bind the remote.

You do not need to.

1 Like

I tested a few minis, and they started to go erratic around 2.4-2.5v. 2.6v they should still be working well.

2 Likes

It wasn’t until a year of using Mini Remotes I noticed the same phenomenon. I think it was just sheer luck the the other ones had their failsafe set close enough by chance to not notice.

Also I used to use 15% deadband (VESC Tool default) but now I prefer 7% deadband… and have used down to 4% before.

1 Like

Yeah i have 4 builds all using mini remotes that i modified. Recently rebuilt 2 of them with upgraded parts and this is the first time it has happened to me. Ive been using my original mini remote from my first build for over 3 years! Great to keep on learning

What does deadband do? :slight_smile:

Deadband is the “wiggle room” in the center of the throttle where it neither accelerates nor brakes, it’s the “neutral”.

3 Likes

I’m actually using this with an RC car, wondering if there is a way to “reverse” the way it reacts to input? Like in some RC car transmitters it allows you to switch servo directions from “normal” to “reverse”

Mostly need it to work with steering. :sob:

I think you can disassemble the remote and reverse the wires coming off the potentiometer.

I don’t know of a way to do it otherwise.

1 Like

Damn, oh well haha. Mostly got this for a future build and also to interim use with this car while the actual RC transmitter arrives.

Since this remote can pair to multiple receivers, you could in theory use the same remote for the RC car and for an esk8.

Just pair them all and set the failsafes all at the same time.

This post just helped me a shit ton, which is even more than a metric tonne!
Thanks @b264.

2 Likes

are you sure its a real failsafe ? i don’t see it in the video , you need to be at full trottle and then you cut power from remote and see what happen

Yes, it will go from full throttle to whatever you set it at while binding. Typically, that’s idle or neutral

1 Like

use theses remote since in 2017 but never tought i can set the failsafe , can someone tell me if the vx1 as a failsafe function ?

Well that isn’t in the instructions included.

1 Like

This exists.

With a tiny bit of rewiring, the Mini remote holds two 14500 cells in its AA holders. You just need to wire the two cells in parallel instead of in series.

Then you have a remote that can run on two of these with only one wire moved

800mAh 14500 protected lithium ion cell

2 Likes

Well, yes, but that is still less than half the capacity of a high cap/low discharge 18650, requires unplugging on every recharge and the remote itself is barebones feature-wise.

A more feature rich remote like the trampa wand would greatly benefit from the cell holder being repurposed for 1 or 2 fat lipo’s in parallel and a charging circuit, but the software on it wouldn’t be compatible i guess.

@Trampa any chance of a rechargeable version? I very much prefer carrying a powerbank (that is with me anyway) than using 2 sets of cells a week. Even my phone can charge it with a small adapter