How to attach hardware, electronics, connections to enclosure?

For what specifically would you use the RTV Silicone? Do you have specific brand that you would use? Permatex, JBWeld? Are these conductive?

Is there a specific reason you use closed-cell foam? Do you just float it and pack it in there? Or do you adhere it to anything? Thanks!

Do you have any recommendations for High-Temperature Glue? Are these conductive?

Not conductive, you need a high quality glue gun to use these to their potential

1 Like

Keeping things from moving around inside the enclosure

I use the GE Silicone 2* neutral cure silicone from the paint section at your local big box home improvement store in the USA. (The smaller squeeze tube size)

No

Yes, because it doesn’t permanently compress for the most part

Kind of

Yes, RTV silicone to keep it from rattling and moving around

2 Likes

Can i just put a ton of it under the battery pack? So everything is dampened nicely? Or just a little bit + other dampening material.
Also, I’m in Norway, so we don’t have this silicone here. I’m sure there is a equivalent, but haven’t found yet. Can you link me to a ebay or amazon to this silicone? I’m gonna use it for my next iteration of the “sport model” :smiley:

The smaller squeeze package is nice.

2 Likes

So how about using the silicone itself for dampening? How much under the batterypack should i use?

2 Likes

I don’t use silicone for that, but I don’t know if others do. I usually set the battery on a thin piece of closed-cell foam, and use silicone for forward-backward and side-side damping.

This is, of course, assuming you aren’t trying to stick a battery that’s too thick into the enclosure, designed for a smaller battery, which is worth mentioning because it appears to be common. (I don’t recommend that)

2 Likes

Thanks. I’ll continue to use double sided neophrene for battery dampening, and silicone for the sides and other parts. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I hate this stuff lol, comes off nasty and leaves a ton of material behind

4 Likes

Something else to recommend? I gladly take tips. :smiley:

1 Like

I like to lay a thin layer of closed cell foam on the floor and walls of the enclosure. Then I pack every open space with more foam lol

Not the cleanest method but it keeps everything in its own Lil pocket lol. Basically compression fit

All connectors have a dab of glue so they don’t come loose

4 Likes

This is my first try. Gonna try making it much more clean next time. :smiley:

3 Likes

Not bad, I keep extra phase wire outside to reduce emf noise near the receiver

1 Like

Quality adhesive hook and loop - preferred for larger items like BMS, ESC if not bolting down w/heatsink

Dual lock/Mushroom tape 250 - preferred for smaller things like remote receiver, Bluetooth modules

Light duty adhesive hook & loop - preferred for battery packs. Enough to keep the pack in place, but easy enough to pull apart you aren’t straining/using unnecessary force on the pack to do so. Either of these work

This is essentially bulk 3m VHB - the thickness is perfect for padding against ESK8 vibration. Preferred to the very thin stuff imo. I’m not a fan of tape for securing ESK8, but if I did/the few times I do, this is my choice.

I often run a very tiny bead of superglue along the edges of the Velcro I put on to resist peeling.

3 Likes

Don’t worry then, the DV6 has a huge heatsink on it anyway. some people cut out a hole in their enclosure so that the air can cool it down even more.

1 Like

I like this too. I use a line layer of adhesive backed EVA foam over the entire inside and flange.

One thing that i would like to achieve is some decent 3d modelling skills so that i could design a harness for all the other components.

This would involve carefully plotting out the entire guts and then designing a single/multiple pieces to 3d print that would be permanently glued in and would allow me to either clip components in or at least be able to bolt/screw them down.

Not a fan at all of gluing components in. Done it too many times and it fucking sucks for maintenance.

1 Like

I’ve fantasized about doing this, then tried it and its a massive pain for a one-off.

If I was making multiple of the same build like LBH does, I’d definitely consider it.

1 Like

Yep i feel that. If we had a little repo of commonly used parts and cases it would be awesome for stuff like this.

2 Likes

Yeah, didnt you design a cool angled mount for a smart bms?

2 Likes