How to attach hardware, electronics, connections to enclosure?

Hi all, I’ve done my best to look for these answers, but I haven’t found a solid answer.

How do people attach vescs, bluetooth modules, etc to enclosures (or do they just let them float)? Velcro? Adhesives? Silicone? Mechanically?

Thanks!

4 Likes

i mostly use velcro or 3m vhb

2 Likes

vescs should be bolted to a heatsink. so man
y options there isn’t a reason not to have one unless it’s a shortboard with 4.12 singles

I hold everything down with either neutral cure silicone or polyurethane (sika).
i used to use hot glue but i found in summer everything comes loose eventually with the heat and vibrations.

1 Like

RTV silicone and closed-cell foam chunks from packaging

Note: RTV silicone does not fully cure in an airtight enclosure, let it cure a couple days with access to fresh air before sealing.

3 Likes

The answer depends on what your enclosure if made out of. My experience shows that if the enclosure is fiberglass or CF then anything you buy that has an adhesive backing will not stay on for long.

High-temperature hot glue is my go-to, as well as a shit ton of foam crammed in there to stop vibrations.

3 Likes

Thanks! I haven’t come across a heatsink for a MakerX DV6. Is this something that I would make myself? And the heatsink, would this be something I would mechanically mount?

For what specifically would you use the RTV Silicone? Do you have specific brand that you would use? Permatex, JBWeld? Are these conductive?

Is there a specific reason you use closed-cell foam? Do you just float it and pack it in there? Or do you adhere it to anything? Thanks!

Do you have any recommendations for High-Temperature Glue? Are these conductive?

Not conductive, you need a high quality glue gun to use these to their potential

1 Like

Keeping things from moving around inside the enclosure

I use the GE Silicone 2* neutral cure silicone from the paint section at your local big box home improvement store in the USA. (The smaller squeeze tube size)

No

Yes, because it doesn’t permanently compress for the most part

Kind of

Yes, RTV silicone to keep it from rattling and moving around

2 Likes

Can i just put a ton of it under the battery pack? So everything is dampened nicely? Or just a little bit + other dampening material.
Also, I’m in Norway, so we don’t have this silicone here. I’m sure there is a equivalent, but haven’t found yet. Can you link me to a ebay or amazon to this silicone? I’m gonna use it for my next iteration of the “sport model” :smiley:

The smaller squeeze package is nice.

2 Likes

So how about using the silicone itself for dampening? How much under the batterypack should i use?

2 Likes

I don’t use silicone for that, but I don’t know if others do. I usually set the battery on a thin piece of closed-cell foam, and use silicone for forward-backward and side-side damping.

This is, of course, assuming you aren’t trying to stick a battery that’s too thick into the enclosure, designed for a smaller battery, which is worth mentioning because it appears to be common. (I don’t recommend that)

2 Likes

Thanks. I’ll continue to use double sided neophrene for battery dampening, and silicone for the sides and other parts. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I hate this stuff lol, comes off nasty and leaves a ton of material behind

4 Likes

Something else to recommend? I gladly take tips. :smiley:

1 Like

I like to lay a thin layer of closed cell foam on the floor and walls of the enclosure. Then I pack every open space with more foam lol

Not the cleanest method but it keeps everything in its own Lil pocket lol. Basically compression fit

All connectors have a dab of glue so they don’t come loose

4 Likes

This is my first try. Gonna try making it much more clean next time. :smiley:

3 Likes

Not bad, I keep extra phase wire outside to reduce emf noise near the receiver

1 Like