How to: Ackmaniac ESC Tool

My apologies, I understand that to be the opposite.

1 Like

Mike, I love you bud. But this isnā€™t good for the community.

I understand that Frank rubs you the wrong way with his manner of posting, but heā€™s not resorting to personal attacks.

Youā€™re bias against Frank is pretty apparent, and as a moderator and community leader I would hope that you could resolve this in a more direct manner.

Furthermore, I find some of the unverified claims youā€™re making here to be somewhat inappropriate. Benjamin Vedder & TRAMPAā€™s business is not your own.

The article was great.

The comments:
giphy%20(20)

5 Likes

It makes me sad that you are so blind to the misinformation and marketing ploys that being used by Trampa, I really wish you would go back and read this and the SPlit-PPM thread with an open mind.

Edit: we are all a bunch of skaters, right? If Frank canā€™t take a couple of jabs in good humor then maybe heā€™s in the wrong business.

Also, I noticed you didnā€™t actually prove any of my arguments wrong.

To be fair to Ben , the same way you dislike his forum , can be the same way he dislike this forum as opposed to his own. With how much he can be working on his own stuff , he probably prefers a community heā€™s familiar with and can navigate with his own moderating abilities as opposed to a technically now fragmented community that he would have to keep up with in addition to his own forum. If thereā€™s one thing I wouldnā€™t fault Ben on, its coming on here and answering a brigade of questions. Thatā€™s Franks Job.

And before anyone attacks me of being some sort of Ben advocate or Trampa advocates, please see my previous interactions on the old forums with Frank & the backward compt incident.

5 Likes

What evidence am I looking for in the split PPM thread?

Heā€™s objectively correct in what heā€™s saying. Youā€™ll notice other EEā€™s backing that up.

A poor CAN bus hardware design & implementation on other ESCs is not a valid argument against CAN bus, which is a very robust and widely adopted industrial comms used successfully in numerous applications.

Splitting PPM can cause ground loops, itā€™s not the correct way of implementing that control configuration.

Those are facts.

1 Like

He said split PPM ā€œWILLā€ kill your voltage regulators. It will not in most cases. I in fact have a board that uses split PPM and the voltage regulators are fine. It has thousands of miles.

It is also a fact that on older VESC variants if 2 units are connected through can and only one unit was powered the second unpowered unit would ground itself through the bus and blow all the can ICs. There are a number of reasons why this could happen. Using split-PPM is at a minimum safer for new users who are not going fast enough or taking turns at a high enough rate to make use of traction control.

All of the above info was in the split PPM thread and had you read it objectively would have understood why Frankā€™s statement was misinformation.

1 Like

He qualified it with ā€œdepending on the ESCā€. Heā€™s correct. Ground loops can kill your vregs.

What you are describing is a failure due to incorrect CAN bus implementation. Irrelevant to the topic at hand.

I read the thread objectively, and as someone with a good number of years of EE & Embedded Control Systems engineering background. I agree with what was being stated there by @Trampa & @linsus.

On the NRF topic, You could say that the switch to NRF modules is akin to the OSRR using Xbee modules. Weā€™re both switching to uart because of the additional featureset it allows, not to make anything more difficult or lock people out.

2 Likes

I never said it wasnā€™t an incorrect CAN bus implementation. I said split PPM has been use successfully by hundreds of people in order to avoid possible CAN issues.

Misdirecting the conversation does price your penises, it only means you donā€™t understand the argument itā€™s are deliberately detailing the topic.

I donā€™t, but itā€™s obvious no matter what logical Irvine I choose your going to side with Frank. Iā€™m curious if thereā€™s some motivation for that?

In a year when you canā€™t by an inexpensive ESC because the VESC firmware doesnā€™t support them come back and re-read this thread.

2 Likes

Haha, itā€™s a open source software and ton of forks exist. There is no way of undoing it. We will always have awesome cheap ESC because of Benā€™s hard work. The worst what might happen is that future hardware/software is not opensource. So what? We canā€™t expect the same hand to feed us all our life without getting anything back? BTW, whatā€™s gotten into you Mike, whatā€™s up with these prophecies?

As for your ā€œseverely downgradedā€ comment, you pointed me to Frankā€™s comment and not any actual change log. To clarify, he was talking about a future feature, different stuff. With how it is right now, it has not been downgraded in any way in the context of being able to go reverse with ppm. I even checked with latest firmware.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s an opinion, not one I share.

I told you he said it, I proved he said it, thatā€™s still not enough. Iā€™m done.

1 Like

Unless youā€™re willing to brazenly break the law, like enertion, you canā€™t do that.

The license on the software says it must stay open-source and any forks or changes must be published as open-source. If anyone doesnā€™t like that, they are free to just make their own software instead of using Benā€™s.

more reading about GPL licenses

2 Likes

Thanks for stating the facts in my support. That means cheap ESCā€™s will always be available, unlike Mikeā€™s prophecy.

Thanks for the link, I will do a bit more reading. But I have seen the original author(of a lidar mapping application:loam) close source his code and starting a company. Forks existed so a lot of us started using and maintaining that. So you are saying Ben canā€™t close source future software( derivative of his current code) that would be used in a new ESC(again closed) ? What about if someone is the sole author?

You can keep breaking my balls all you want, it doesnā€™t change the facts. Frank has a history of using lawyers to enforce his desires.

Also, @Trampa Iā€™m curious why they only reported motor and battery ā€œbad valuesā€ from the latest version of the VESC-Tool Wizard are ALL from competitor products?

There are different kinds of open-source licenses.

Some ā€œpermissiveā€ licenses, like the ISC License, allow you to closed-source a fork or derivative.

Some ā€œcopyleftā€ licenses, like the GPL License, do NOT allow you to closed-source a fork or derivative.

The VESC firmware is copylefted under the GPL.

Of course, if youā€™re Jason Potter, you just break the law. Thereā€™s always the crime option.

2 Likes

As I see it, Frank is always stating that he protected the Trademark VESC in the good for the community and Benjamin Vedder. But as someone new to e-skate and VESCā€™S you will likely relate VESC more to Trampa then to Ben. I have the impression that this whole protecting thing is more to boost the brand Trampa then doing good for Benjamin or the VESC project.
Frank was the person who introduced the new 2019 VESCtool to the community and several people raised their concerns about the battery amp values suggested by the VESCtool wizard. His reply was a rant against all moderately powered boards and the failure of the builder.
I was hoping as the person who sees himself as the voice of the VESC project in this community that he would pass our concerns on to Benjamin. Instead of saying go and reach him yourself.\

@mmaner thank you for the clear and understandable walk through which was much needed.
I personally use Ackmaniac 's software for nearly two years now and love it.

4 Likes

You are more than welcome. Happy to help.

3 Likes

Here we have set the Motor Max to 50a as that is the ESCā€™s limit and motor amps should always be of a higher value than battery amps.

@mmaner Could you expound on this for me?

We have defined the Battery Current Max Regen at -12a because that is low-speed breaks

I was under the impression that Max Battery Regen is high speed brakes and Max Motor Regen is low speed brakes. Could you clarify?

Thanks for the write up, it will be invaluable if I get something other than a Unity! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi!

As promised Iā€™ve updated the vesc tool, and the FW. Vedder/@trampa, seems eager to accept my PR!
Iā€™ve built a macOS binary here: https://github.com/DAddYE/vesc_tool/releases/tag/1.14-beta
However please note that I havenā€™t tested it yet since Iā€™m on UART.
Rember to update the firmware as well, so it can understand the new control type.

Here some screens:

If you test it, please let me know how it works.

Thanks!

Edit: yeah, Iā€™ve to fix the description, and Iā€™m looking for a better name :smiley:

10 Likes

That was very cool of you and I want you to know that I personally appreciate you putting in the time to do this.

I will test it this weekend and let you now the result.

3 Likes