How to: Ackmaniac ESC Tool

Yeah it set on 10s . I believe its either trampa or maytech. All it says on them is Vedder.se 4.12

@mmaner Thank you for this wonderful writeup!!

To keep this great guide up to date, I would like to share this with you:

In my setup, i was not prompted to Write Configuration To ESC on the slave ESC. This might have been changed in the tool to automatically do this. If this is the case, you could simply remove it from the guide. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Cool, I will double check and remove it. Thanks for the clarification.

2 Likes

Ackmaniacs firmware stopped development prior to @Deodand’s smooth FOC brake fix. Bvedder eventually implemented his own fix to FOC braking as well.

A few of us in the community have ported the code back to Acks FW. I still run 3.102, since the changes from 3.102 to 3.103 didn’t affect me… but if you run Acks and want smooth brakes in FOC feel free to explore the precompiled firmware files with the FOC brake fix applied that you can install via Ackmaniac tool, and view changes to the code here.

7 Likes

I was not aware of that, I will give it a try this weekend.

2 Likes

This might actually be an issue with my FSESC 6.6 Dual (not pro)

TLDR… have read the main post but couldn’t find my answer there…

The USB port on my slave ESC has shit itself. If I set new motor current settings on the Master, do they get copied to the slave?

1 Like

So I can’t use UART input and a HM-10 module at once because both would need to be plugged into the master vesc.

Update: uart sucks (we already knew that)

Going for my first ride with ack and Bluetooth!

1 Like

Well now I’m having issues with ackmaniac. Motor starting locking under braking, just one motor, it also makes this strange noise. With wheels off the ground I have weird behavior… Earlier the opposite motor (slave I think) lost control, not spinning.

Seems Focbox are forgetting settings. Ive been using the different Focbox with blue case and black case, maybe they’re not compatible

This happened to me before. It was from changing parameters under expert/advanced on metr, many versions ago. I had to reload the firmware again and update metr. All is well after that.

1 Like

Strange. I do have metr but i didn’t have it connected with my phone. It seems no firmware is safe.

1 Like

Hi guys,

I set up my dual VESCs (HW4.12) with Ackmaniac FW and everything works so far. Unfortunately my USB Port on the Master broke. Is there a way to program both VESCs via the slave? They are connected via CAN and I try to add a Bluetooth module soon so I need to have PPM + UART…

Uart, or just swap the master and slave in programming.

1 Like

So I can run the input wizzard on the slave and everything works, even if the other VESC is still setup as master at the time the wizzard is running? I just want to be sure as for now the board is working fine and I dont want to brick it just for the BT module.

This is what I would do. Connect to the slave via USB and change the CAN ID to 11, can forward to the master at CAN 0, change the master CAN ID to 1, turn off can forwarding and change the CAN ID to 0. Move the PPM/UART inputs to the new master and re-setup.

Thx a lot, I missed the CAN forward feature of the app until now. I will give it a go later on.
So if I enable the forwarding all configuration changes will be written to the forwarded VESC instead, right?

No, you will need to save the configs if you want to re-wright the current config to the new master and new slave.

I can’t get my focboxes to connect.

The PC doesn’t seem to see them.

I get the error
“Could not read firmware version. Make sure that selected port really belongs to the ESC”

Any idea what the problem is? I tried two usb cables and both focboxes same thing.

Make sure the correct com port is selected.

1 Like

In device manager? I only got COM1

It would only show up there if It was connecting which I don’t think it is.

I’m not getting any connection sound which is concerning.
The ports on the focboxes are pretty fucked, but it worked before.