How rattle free is your board and how you achieved that?

I’ve never had a single issue with rattle just by using Velcro & Mushroom tape on most components, potentially just butyl tape or spongy 3m VHB type tape at all.

Also properly installing all hardware related things on the board, proper torque, & threadlock/sleeve retainer.

Have never understood why people have rattle issues.

To everyone with foam removal nightmares:
Use the tape of your choice, I personally love gorilla tape because it’s insanely waterproof, but it’s just as much of a nightmare to remove. Put a full layer of tape over both the inside of the enclosure, and where it sits on the deck. Apply the foam to the tape. Voila. It’s peelable.

I just buy fiberglass reinforced foam. It’s like fiberglass tape with a layer of neoprene fused to it.

1 Like

Would this work?
Also curious if you separated each component so they each have padding for no vibration or added it around the enclosure

I use trash. I mean, from things that were shipped, I just save various foams and stuff.

I’m sure that would work but I just use trash.

I cut it up and jam it into all the places where things can move around. If you give it a firm sharp shake, you shouldn’t hear wires moving around inside.

6 Likes

Alright, it wouldn’t heat the components up if I put the foam in between?

Yeah it could but the only parts that should be making significant heat are the ESC heatsinks.

Rattling, rubbing, and abrasion can cause a lot of other failures and it’s annoying as shit.

2 Likes

Alright. So I shouldn’t be worried about separating the components with foam. Especially since I’m not trying to have anything touch

The purpose of the foam is partially to separate the components, yeah. It’s better if they don’t rub other parts or rattle around.

1 Like

Alright that’s what I shall do, I ordered the wrong kind of foam, thanks for the help :+1:t3:

I just use trash.

Don’t discard the closed cell foam packing materials when you get things in the mail.

3 Likes

yeah this. I use a piece of acoustic foam to fill the empty space in my enclosure

1 Like

I got a thin piece of foam for the bottom and top and this will be cut as little sections to keep the components from touching, no noise will be coming from inside

1 Like

0 rattle, everything is bolted of velcroed down

2 Likes

Doing that also. Velcro / foam

1 Like

How do you guys have room in your enclosures for foam pieces? I’m lucky if I can get the bolts on without sitting on the enclosure!

2 Likes

Don’t use batteries too big for your enclosure.

Don’t use enclosure too small for your battery.

Also this

It’s my personal opinion that if you need a gasket, (besides butyl tape that squishes out) then something isn’t compatible.

1 Like

I’m getting a bit of rattle in my Boardnamics adjustable baseplates, I’ve tightened the retaining bolt as much as I can and it still jiggles a bit, anyone have a solution? I’m thinking of slipping some heat shrink over the bolt but idk if it’ll just get torn up and fall out.

Pop/soda can metal shim may work if it’s what I’m thinking, post a pic if you can. The metal is .004” IIRC & has been used to fix slight slop in a few similar esk8 parts before.

2 Likes

I’ve also used the smooth walls of large plastic bottles with good results. A bit thicker for different applications but still valid

2 Likes