How is it easy to tune HFI,🥺

And me again but this is 2 days of searching and trial on HFI
Well … :no_mouth::no_mouth:

I tried playing around with all HFI parameters nothing is different except for HFI Samples it changes the sound from annoying to more annoying

2 Likes

maybe you should take this to the VESC forum instead. :smiley:

If you want something that’s a lot easier configure, silent HFI 45 degree v0v7 works quite well on fw6.0, at least if you have phase side shunts.

1 Like

Try doing this

2 Likes

well Im not sure I wrote the post in the right place or what , Im bad with forums stuff and I see most of guys talks here as alien knowledge , just far more advanced than my brain way of thinking :joy: :joy: :joy:

1 Like

well tried that a while ago , before I know the tuning thing , maybe I will give it another try tomorrow or so after knowing about tuning, thx for reminding me of that

1 Like

yea I did this and everything I do according to this video only gives me that random plot shown in my video, but let me ask does HFI increase motor performance or make it more silent than hall sensors ?

I doubt the performance thing but let me know what did you knew or tried before

my HFI plot
images

No

No, opposite

You have to understand what sensors do to understand what HFI does. The system can take power to generate motion (a motor) or take motion to generate power (a generator). The rotor is the part of the motor that turns. The stator is the part of the motor that doesn’t turn. In order to know which wires to apply power to, the controller needs to know where the rotor is. It can do this by looking at the electricity coming from the motor as a generator. So it knows where the rotor is, and knows which wires to turn on next.

Here is the problem. If the motor isn’t turning, there is no motion, which means there is no generator, which means the controller can’t see the electricity coming from the generator, which means the controller doesn’t know which position the rotor is in, which means the controller can’t know which wires to turn on to start it turning.

So when the motor is completely stopped, we can use hall sensors to detect what position the rotor stopped at, and know which wires to energize to start it. Once we get the motor turning, we don’t need the sensors at all.

The problem is sensors aren’t on every motor, the small sensor wires are fragile and prone to noise, and hall sensors like to break, especially when water is involved. So, whenever sensors aren’t available or aren’t desirable to use, some clever math can allow the controller to briefly pulse energy into the motor to illuminate the rotor (like a light flash in a cave) and figure out where it’s at.

How powerful the motor is, has nothing to do with this. Also, HFI on VESC makes either a lot of noise or a tiny bit of noise. Hall sensors don’t create sounds.

5 Likes

u know what … I understood how HFI works from you better than any other text i read or video i watched , i donno how or why but the word illuminate the rotor, opened my imagination to illustrate electricity path in my mind for better understanding thanks alot man you really made it easier for my brain

now after this nice explanation I came out with following
1- I dont need to try using any kind of sensorless mode as I’m already building motors with hall sensors

2-HFI would take little energy to work ( I assume it will reduce system efficiency a little ) I donno how much but in my case for now it doesnt matter as im not gonna use this method anyway

3- I can’t do any more tests as the large motor exploded in the last RPM measure on FOC ( it reached 8k+ RPM and magnet broken and locked the rotor in less than 0.0000000000001 second :joy: :joy:) good no one died as I used razor blades as magnet back plate ( they were the only steel available near and easy to cut) sorry about this bad choice as its totally against humanity lol

4- its a must now to build new motor applying all of what I learnt

1 Like