How BLDC mode is softer than FOC ?

And btw its only 12 poles motor , i saw higher pole count motors on youtube and they detect it in blink of an eye

1 Like

Speed of detection is not the issue, it’s whether the results are good or not.

It worked just the same except for when on detection it spins more smooth and more silent, but when using test run from bottom of screen it does this ( as it does usually)

Its kinda weird to me that it spins nice and smooth when being detected and it gives bad results and doesnt work after, cant I use the detection mode parameters to spin motor and use it normally, damn that detection it really sux

I’m thinking there is some additional damage from the hall sensor incident. It’s not reading motor position at all. Might be the voltage divider resistors going from the mcu to the phases, or the stm32 has some fried adc channels from excessive voltage

2 Likes

Here is something to try. You could force the VESC to run in open loop for longer. Might be able to detect once the RPMs are high enough, or if it’s totally broken then you could do just open loop, but this is a really inefficient way to run a motor

Set the motor to FOC and the sensor mode to sensorless

Specifically these fields:

Then play with these settings, specifically the Openloop ERPM. Change it to something like 5,000 or 30,000

2 Likes

Then why it works smoothly on BLDC mode ( speaking about the big motor) and why it runs smoothly on the detection , and why it runs smoothly on open loop command, plus it was doing that even before the incident

Ok i will try this and tell u results

detection runs in openloop

foc_openloop runs in openloop

These modes just send power to the motor without any feedback.

To run with a throttle, or with controls from the VESC tool, it runs in closedloop where it takes data from the motor. Somehow it’s not getting that data from the motor… or the signal is too weak.

Can also try increasing the amps from say 10 to 40 even on that little motor, to try to force it to start spinning up. The voltage readings from the motor will be stronger at higher RPMs. That’s part of the goal of modifying the openloop sensorless settings above. To get the motor to spin up faster before switching to closedloop.

5 Likes

sorry about late feedback I was too busy ( I think that me and my motor got feedback issues :laughing:)

here I’ve changed sensorless erpm under hall sensors to 50k instead of 2.5k and the motor spun as smooth as it was shown in BLDC mode, so what is this ? and how its called sensorless erpm and its under hall sensors ?? ( the motor doesn’t spin when i unplug hall sensors cable)

yee I tried the playing with open loop erpm and increased open loop time to 3 sec , both motors were running ( but rough) in open loop for 3 sec and stutter then 3 sec open loop and so on, here I knew there is something wrong with the sensorless feedback .

BUT
in the detection the small motor works so smooth the big one sometimes work and sometimes no, and it results shows hall sensors, so it detects the feedback , at FWD and REV it spins normally but when I unplug hall sensors it doesn’t spin

after all of this I noticed something ( but not sure yet) the shushing sound from motor on FOC is becuase motor rotor is hollow ( 3d printed ) with the FOC frequency it resonate and we hear this resonance, and I’m not sure its running in FOC for real or not, I donno if what I wrote would be useful for someone or not, but i believe its enjoyable to know someones struggles lol

I will build another motor with solid rotor to reduce resonance and upload the test results here as soon as I finish , and I may build a small dyno to test efficiency too ( someone told me to buy motor but its too expensive to buy the motor I need and shipping motors to Egypt is very expensive ( shipping and customs ) so I’m building them XD

1 Like

“Sensorless ERPM” in the Hall Sensors settings is the speed above which the hall sensors aren’t used. Sensors are only used to start from a stop.

2 Likes

it seems i miss many useful information about motors
so lets rephrase what you said
senseors are used when motor starts and when its loaded to keep phases in sequence all the time and never miss any step even when loaded excessively

2 Likes

yes

1 Like

Hi.
I have an electric scooter with an 800w motor with 30 magnets 48v21a battery. I use a 75200 controller and I tried the version you posted here. and after the test the motor drives smoothly and quietly but backwards, and when I change the direction of travel to forward, it no longer works the same. And when I’m use Field Wakening, and drive backwards it works Perfect. and when you change the direction of travel to forward and press the truttle there is no control and the motor keep going without stopping (when the scooter is in the air)
I would appreciate your help please

Just switch any 2 of the phase wires and try running detection again. It should be going forward at that point and hopefully it works better

Make sure you take a screenshot of the old detection numbers before you run a new one.

1 Like

Thanks for the response . I switched between the phases. And now it really drives forward after the test, but now it doesn’t drive smoothly, not forward. And not backward, is there maybe another idea?

did you run detection and stuff again after you switched the phases?

Yes

If that didn’t work, then I don’t know what it could be. It might help if you could take it apart and check if there is any noticeable damage to the inside