How do you improve your leaning / balance?

I’ve been esk8ing since 2017 and i realize more and more how bad of a rider i actually am, especially since switching to [untuned] pkp trucks. The untuned pkps obviously play a role. It was however a similar story with my channel trucks but only slightly better due to the softer barrels installed.

I can go fast, i can go off-road but I can’t manage to make proper turns, especially at lower speeds. Turns at higher speeds are a bit easier to do. A lot of the turns i take are maxing out my balance, just before I would tip over

I’m not sure if it’s just my balance that isn’t good, my way of turning/leaning or my inner “fear” of falling over that outright blocks how far i can lean.

One of the turns that often gets me is this. I’m coming from below and want to turn left, i start at the outer side and either barely reach the same spot after the turn or I’m off the street on the gravel patch next to it.

What do you do to improve your leaning and balance?

2 Likes

Are you running bindings?

1 Like

T Race! You’ll improve heaps cause you’re constantly turning!

2 Likes

Yes. Mbs f5 bindings.

1 Like

I’m not sure where. Given the legality of esk8 here I can’t use a random parking lot (of which there aren’t really any where i ride)

I also can’t recall any larger areas anywhere near me that would be suitable, it’s all just bike paths.

So T-Race is unlikely to happen.

That’s a shame. Sorry to hear. You can do something similar though in any area you usually skate in on a smaller scale.

1 Like

When you take a turn, describe your front and rear foot motions. Do you turn more with the front or rear vs equally?

I go for a surfy feeling with my channel trucks by keeping the front end significantly looser than the rear. Running lightly preloaded yellows on the front and medium loaded orange on the back let’s me initiate the turn with the front end so much so that I hardly turn with the rear unless it’s a really tight turn. Keeping that weight up front helps too in my case.

2 Likes

Do the out in out approach

8 Likes

That’s the POV on that spot. Just went there to take pics

Those are the usual trajectories i have on that corners.

Either barely make it while almost losing balance or get into the gravel

something i do is lean to the absolute point of tipping and give throttle. the g force of the acceleration will force you into the board and allowing you lean further to turn sharper.
however you will break traction on the rear end if done incorrectly so practice is a must

5 Likes

I need to ride again to give you proper answer but i believe i am front heavy while turning.

Another thing I’m noticing is that i often just move the front of my foot up into the binding when turning.

you got heel straps?

lean in to kiss the bin, wait u goofy or regular?

Regular

Nope. Hadn’t had any rides that needed them (in terms of feeling secure or falling out) and i like that I can just step in or out without the straps

pretend u going to sit down, like preparing for butt sumo
practice it on the bin :rofl:

1 Like

i find that heel straps stop the foot wiggle you had.

1 Like

One thing I’ve learned is you have to look where you want to go. If you’re looking off to the side in the gravel, where you DON’T want to go, likely that’s where you’re going to end up. If you keep your eyes on the path where you want to go, that’s where you’ll end up.

4 Likes

An easy, and universal way is those half exercise ball platforms where they have a rigid top but then the exercise ball bottom half. Most gyms should have them, and standing on it while doing other basic movements will help build your core strength and overall balance. This might also help you get used to being right on that edge of almost falling over but still barely having balance.

Although I think the best solution for that would be to put your board on carpet and just lean as hard as possible to one side and hold that position for as long as possible. If you loose your balance and fall then it isn’t a big deal since you weren’t moving :person_shrugging: I’m not sure how your trucks work, but if they can be adjusted at all, I’d say loosen them more than what you want with riding for it to work faster/easier.

Before anyone says this sounds dumb, try it yourself and see how long you can manage to hold that position :rofl: If it is too easy than try doing it on one leg only, or with most of your weight on one foot.

1 Like