How do you improve your leaning / balance?

You must realize how ridiculous it is to have the opinion that every esk8 should look like this

1 Like

Must be your opinion, I was making a joke LOL

:crazy_face:

1 Like

Balance in low speed turns is tricky because you can’t easily maneuver the board back under you when you start falling. Instead, try locking the board out all the way at full lean, and balancing with centrifugal force instead. If you start falling inwards, speed up, and vice versa.

5 Likes

I do this as well. Heavy turning, I find, naturally reduces speed, and at lower speeds, even more so. Slowly giving some throttle as the lean gets heavier, ends up keeping a more constant speed for me to internally manage my feel of the lean.

Doesn’t work 100% of the time, but 60% of the time, it works every time.

4 Likes

Just don’t do this if you have thane wheels and like your skin to remain on your body. :rofl: \

It is possible to still pull the throttle in turns but you’re more likely to start sliding, or if the conditions aren’t perfect, the board can fishtail on you. I’ve gotten the point where I can control my board if that happens and yet the times where my board will slide during part of the turn are not consistent. I’ll be doing the same exact thing so I’m pretty sure it is due to changes in the road surface. :person_shrugging:

1 Like

I don’t really use urethane wheels on any of my personal boards, aside from the couple of push boards, so sure, that area of riding is far out of my experience.

I imagine that would pose traction problems.

this is something I take advantage of often as someone who doesn’t run bindings… accelerating out of your turns really locks you in

4 Likes

I will try this once i receive my Apex order with the gloves.

Put on some old clothes try not to fall over all the time.

1 Like

Are you in NR W ? Got some killer routes in Rhine area.

Got any “Intro2Speed” event in your area, riding with and learning from those folks is good practice on making quick tight turns. I too suck at slow turns, always on the brink of falling off.

I think doing THIS would help with tight turns. Theoretically I can do this, but would probably have to stop, roll off then get back up.

Maybe ur just at the limit of what angle the trucks will turn with you weighting them. Could either carry more weight or loosen them.
I have the same problem with a long deck and tight rear truck but don’t like the feel of a loose rear, as many don’t

Maybe use a hand and pull up the side while turning.

1 Like

I do this all the time on thane. you just have to know your limits, which takes practice. and sometimes falling.

I saw a couple of people ride like that in Vegas, her, the guy in the black and red, and a couple of others, and its impressive but none of them did all that great.

My advice would be to do some core and leg workouts, when you are running bindings you are often the limit, get your core and legs strong enough that you can smooth criminal into those turns, and if you still cant loosen your front bushings.

2 Likes

yeah I was surprised by that as well. Brandon (redbeard) and Mario make impressive smooth criminal leans.

True, but for a general suggestion I don’t think it is a great idea. I feel like I’d loose confidence in my skating if a suggestion given to help me keep balance instead resulted in a bad fall.

Riding in wet conditions is why fishtailing and sliding don’t even phase me these days. Usually it happens and even if it is worse than normal my response is just “oops, probably shouldn’t have done that” :rofl: it did come at the cost of my skin early on though :sweat:

it takes time to get steel ankles and a comfort level leaning into the false gravity of an esk8.

1 Like

Steel ankles? :thinking: I don’t think that part is needed for leaning or sliding since I can do it and I have the opposite of them :rofl:

My ankles hyper-extend so I don’t get sprains or breaks from rolling them at the expense of it being easier for them to roll or over rotate on their own for no reason. :upside_down_face: Although I’ve not had issues in them rolling inwards while standing still in a good couple of years thanks to building the muscles in the area up more to support them better. Which is nice because at one point I’d be on my normal long board, not even pushing and then I’d loose balance out of nowhere and have to bail off because my ankle decided fuck me.

Hessen

In addition to all the good stuff to improve your technique, I really do recommend that you take a look at your PKP setup. I recently started riding PKP trucks on a new deck and struggled a bit with low-speed turning although it was very carvy at higher speeds and I had no issue negotiating the same low-speed turns on channel trucks (and also having them stable at high speed) and that’s also with using MBS bindings in all cases.

What helped you solve this?