How do I swap hub sleeves?

Hi I have a wowgo mini that I want to swap my sleeves on cuz they are in really bad condition.

I received the following picture from Wowgo support regarding how to perform this but since I do not have the tool seen in the third picture I am stuck.
The sleeves sit like glue.

Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Buy the tool in the third picture. Sometimes called a gear or pulley puller. Sometimes called a windshield wiper puller. ~10 on Amazon and worth it in the long run.

If you truly can’t afford the right tool for the job: cut a hole in a board the same size as the hub sleeve (you could be lucky and have a cup or other random sturdy object with correct diameter) and smack or repeatedly, using 5-8 profanities per minute until it releases itself.

This will likely damage new thane though so be careful doing it in reverse.

4 Likes

Slice the old sleeve with an exacto knife

6 Likes

I just keep on carefully hitting the inner rim of the sleeve with a rubber mallet until the sleeve starts moving (hit - turn a bit - hit again - turn a bit…you get the idea) no need for a bearing puller. Also no need to remove the motor from the axle.

Where on that pic would I hit?
Can’t do it so I hit in the direction that it should slide off since you don’t see the inner rim on that side.

slice the metal on the inside?

You don’t slice anything here. Beware my mighty finger painting and photographing skills:

This is me creating artsy art. Also this is an ownboard c1s. The virtuoso placed arrows show the inner rim of the sleeve. How does your inner rim of your sleeve look? Also why don’t you already start hitting it at least with a shovel?

I have been hitting it with a hammer there, shit haven’t moved even slightly.

It really is a “roundandroundyougo-thing”.
Your motor seems to be the same as mine. Trust me: rubber mallet - 3whacks - turn a bit - repeat.

Btw: You sure you have the motors where sleeves can be replaced, right?
Show pictures please…

Yes they can be, otherwise why would they send me 2 pairs of extra sleeves for? ^^
I have a rubber mallet coming tomorrow, dont have one at home yet.

That’s the outer side of the wheel. It’s the inner side you want to hit. You’re aware of that, right?

1 Like

Your username checks out. I’d trust you.

8 Likes

Also i’m an expert… sort of.
Well, not really. But i’m trying to implement this trade to my image.

2 Likes

You slice it with a knife and peel it off, next thing you realise is you’re left with an aluminum-sleeve that’s now stuck to the motor with no rim left to whack or get hold of to pull it off.

Didn’t realize it has a metal sleeve :sweat_smile:
Dremel it off?

Wouldn’t want to do that as it’s unnecessary once you tap it with a hammer. The sleeves don’t really sit that tight - in his case maybe because some dirt accumulated between the motor can and the sleeve. Also that’s why, at least in my experience, hub motors eventually start making clicking noises after a while.

Yes the other side is the one I’ve been hammering but I didn’t have a picture of that one.

You really should be good once you try a rubber hammer without risking to hit the metal part of the motor.

I completely fucked a Wowgo hub trying to replace a sleeve (WG3). I also broke their pot metal gear puller the first time I tried to use it. Eventually I settled on a hacksaw which did cut through the metal inner sleeve and I was able to pry the old sleeves off. The real challenge was trying to get the new sleeves installed. Don’t beat the new sleeves too hard or they can come loose from the thane and will become sloppy and useless. I eventually just bought new hubs that had the thane I wanted pre-installed. Good luck!

1 Like

Hairdryer to warm it and make them more pliant, hairspray to help slide it on?

Hairspray is the hack to replace worn grips on motorbike controls, when liquid it’s slippery but it dries tacky.

Basically roll into the hairdressers