How do Hypertrucks work?

I had a chance to ride a Lonestar Supersport, and what blew me away the most was the feel of the trucks and how they dampen your movement, just like a steering dampener on a motorcycle. Anyways, Hypertrucks look just like the standard Lacroix trucks, or any other mountain board style truck for that matter, does anyone know what’s in them that makes them work? Has anyone taken them apart?

1 Like

Lacroix makes trucks other than the hyper trucks?

Maybe he means Matrix II?

4 Likes

Well they’re like an RKP truck but with an extra pivot “cup”(point) to keep the hanger a bit more steady / less shock absorbing, and the bushings are split into 2, and placed further from the center so that the length of the lever compressing them is smaller, meaning you can use softer & larger bushings, which lets you tune them better / get a more predictable compression. I.e. – the tolerances can be looser for the bushing to still be effective.

The downside (apart from less shock absorption due to the fixed pivot line), is that if you lean too far, the bushings can fall out potentially. This could be fixed if the bushings still had holes in them for an axle to go through like regular RKP trucks do. Idk why no one has done that yet, but yeah…

After trying them out IRL, I think most people run their trucks way too tight. And apparently you have to always carve / be on an edge to keep them stable at speeds. I guess because the bushings aren’t compressed enough by default? Not sure.

3 Likes

Nope. I ride 60kmh+ on almost every ride. Can’t carve for shit. Brace yourself and throttle to the plastic

6 Likes

Also, we don’t make any other trucks

2 Likes

interesting trade off, i’d have to compare them up close to see those differences then.

But there’s a difference in baseplate between the later a newer models right? (Blue and red baseplate)

I always thought red was for the Nazare, and blue was for the Lonestar. The blue one is physically much taller to account for the bigger battery.

3 Likes

Not true. I’m on matrix 2 running orange blocks and have no issues carving @ 30mph. No wobbles @ any speed either.

That’s not to say that other mtb trucks (including other matrix 2) wont have issues. It’s all in the setup. If I drop my blocks back to yellow, i could never top 25mph due to massive wobbles.

1 Like

I heard what really helps with the stability was the fact that the Lacroix deck has split angles, so it doesn’t naturally create resonance like with a symmetric angle setup. There might be other tricks in the trucks themselves, but the angles make the biggest difference.

5 Likes

Samesies. orange blocks on metal matrix IIs is where its at for me right now.

5 Likes

What kind of turning radius do you get @ minimum? Just curious

Yes and no.

Yes there’s a difference between red and blue as the blue baseplate has more height to it to accomodate the double stack enclosure.

No there’s no difference between old and new as there is no old and new :wink:

1 Like

my flux has a tighter turn radius than my witchblade which is on thane and haggy trucks, and i can whip it quickly and it snaps back. I can almost uturn in the middle of a neighborhood street if i’m going just fast enough to stay on the board and really lean into it. but i’ve been working on my ankles for several years.

8 Likes

I’ll credit it to getting low and F5 heelless bindings but I can definitely uturn on a neighborhood street lol. Ha! Better than daddy! Love you!

ha! yeah a binding would definitely help. Grabbing a rail would too, but i don’t do either, i just rely on the forces at work to keep me on my board.

2 Likes

Samsies when I ride the Hummie.

Ok back on topic lol

1 Like

I’m all for dewedging the rear, even a little bit. For science, on my MBS Comp 95 with Matrix 2’s at 30° front / 25°rear (dewedged 5°), I ran NO shock blocks in front and yellow (soft) blocks at loosest setting on the rear and hit 25mph with absolutely no wobbles. Didn’t push it further cause I’m slow and old (and my wussy mangina starts puckering past that speed), but it worked fine. I think split truck angles are crucial to stability at speed, and my little experiment made me more confident of this.

1 Like

that can do wonders.

2 Likes