How can I make my board more comfortable?

My current setup is the revel kit on a loaded vanguard flex 5 with additional risers. I’ve tried the TB 110mm wheels and the 120mm foamies. While this setup is OK for comfort I want it to be better. I mostly ride on bike trails and I have to take frequent breaks as my feet go numb from the vibration quite often.

1 Like

with a setup like that, there isnt a whole lot that could be done. If clouds/tb110 arent doing it for you, start considering a pneumatic build

2 Likes

How long have you been riding it? Has there been a long break since you last rode?

Foot fatigue is real

5 Likes

Hollow wheels by @TheGoodMomentum sounds like something that could be a solution. That’s in theory since those are still in production.

Take a look at the hollow wheel DIY thread.

2 Likes

Eovan 105mm or Onsra 115mm rubber honeycomb wheels are a drop-in replacement on Kegel mounts, lower efficiency than urethane but almost as comfy as pneumatics without the increased wheel size.

1 Like

Squishy grip like Dope grip can helpful.

2 Likes

11 Likes

Skating more often solves exactly this problem.

Not skating much, it’s difficult for me to go a few kilometers (miles) without stopping but if I’m skating daily it’s easy for me to skate for 3 hours straight without stopping once.

There’s also nothing wrong with stepping off the board at red lights (ensure not to accidentally hit the throttle), or just stopping for a few minutes.

Of course you could go with pneummies and take a 10% to 50% range loss and make flat tires possible.

It’s all what works for you.

3 Likes

Experiment, thoroughly, with different stances and foot positions.

Find one that works for you. It will take a while. But when you find it

3 Likes

Not everything. People should study tried and true stances and footing, then practice those positions until they find an effective balance between their body composition and the footing.

DH riders have the stance we should be using. Boarding on wheels isn’t the fledgling sport it used to be with the “try whatever until you like it” mentality. Many people have spent years honing the practice of proper board footing. We should seek to build upon those lessons, not disregard them in favor of convenience.

2 Likes

Try different shoes.

I for example get foot fatigue after like 4km on my pneumatics if i wear shoes with a soft sole. Hard sole = no problem. On my street board i can wear whatever i want

4 Likes

You can also stretch & exercise your feet 1 at a time while riding :wink:

2 Likes

I disagree with this. Since esk8s are self propelled, there’s a much greater focus on your rear leg to brace against acceleration and braking, compared to DH where you just need to keep your balance on the front trucks and the rear trucks follow. If boards were FWD it might work better, but with the standard setup a DH tuck feels sketchy anywhere past a mild acceleration.

10 Likes

Are your trails paved or dirt.

1 Like

Paved or dirt trails?

Thanks for typing out what I was thinking

1 Like

You could also put traction pads on your deck to eat up some vibrations.

Only thing you can do with that setup is foam grip tape and better shoes/insoles.

Everyone has probably had numb feet at some point. When I first started esk8ing my leg goes numb after about 3 miles, but it had a lot to do with my obsession with carbon fiber decks. Even with that, over time I was able to ride longer and longer before my leg gets numb, I would go on 25-30 miles right easily without issues.

4 Likes

From my perspective riding shit roads on thane boards shoes make a huge difference. I also use “skate shred” inserts in my go to pair of Globe high tops. You are already using some of the most comfy street wheels on the market. If position and footwear cannot get you where you want to be I agree that pneumatic tires are your next best option.

2 Likes

Paved trails.

1 Like