High voltage antispark plugs.

please please please make a thread about making your own / modifying antispark connectors. Would love to see that.

14 Likes

Youā€™re in luck, I recently tried to do motor detection with just the precharge key in cuz I forgot to add the main loopkey, so now I need to rebuild it. Exactly as planned :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Arenā€™t you forgetting that batteries are basically isolated? Shoes donā€™t matter at all, because thereā€™s no circuit between a battery and the ground.

Unless Iā€™ve been doing it wrong all along and I need to have a 6-ft ground rod tethered to my mobile electric device all the timeā€¦

2 Likes

i dont see a resistance or wattage rating for these. With the high voltage escs coming out these days there doesnt seem an adequate antispark available. so simple yet so unavailable.

be cool if someone designed one we could print and add a resistor and some common copper tubing or something. Maybe not even a formal resistor and maybe just some long high resistance metal piece or something. nichrome? or maybe just a standard resistor is simple

This looks nice. Do you know the resistance of this?

1 Like

Yea, now I realise that I made a very dumb comment haha, worked with too much AC in the last months :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

@Acido german safety regulations say that anything under 120V DC is considered safety extra-low voltage so there is pretty much no way it could kill you even if you hold it with both hands.

1 Like

Thereā€™s a couple places on alibaba that sell them and willing to do a custom batch with 10ohm resistors and maybe we can do a group buy. will post details tomorrow.

So far disappointing and minimum quantity is too high

Out of interest would an antispark connector affect charging?

I got annoyed with the spark every time I connected my XT30 to charge so put on an adapter up xt60 then Xt90 and no more spark when plugging charger in but after about a minute it made a noise and started smoking!

I turned it off removed the adapters and now seems to be working again?

As soon as a xt90s is plugged in 100%, it works like an usual xt90. If the xt90s is plugged in just partially, than it can happen that the resistor get fried under load.

1 Like

Can an xt60 be antispark? I think the xt60-f maybe? If so there would be 2 antisparks in series, could that potentially cause an issue to the charger? As it seems fine without them plugged in.

There are no xt60 antispark plugs on the market. As minimum I donā€™t know of any at this moment of time.

Yes, certainly. If someone decided to make them.

But I also donā€™t know of any on the market right now. Same with XT30ā€¦ :frowning_face:

1 Like

Yea weird Iā€™ll have to look into it a bit more.
I cocked up a few stupid things at the time I was doing it as I was tired and it was late so I really
Need to go though it again properly.
I fitted a loop key and a few other bits at the same time.

Once the antispark is all the way plugged in (the resistor is bypassed), the antispark shouldnā€™t affect anything at all, and be indistinguishable from a regular XT-90.

Itā€™s usually a good idea to have the charger already turned on, so the charger voltage and battery voltage are similar. If the charger is off, you can end up with a big inrush from the battery into the chargerā€™s output capacitors, which makes a big spark.

Sounds like you didnā€™t plug the XT-90 in all the way, so all the charging current was going through the resistor, and caused it to overheat and fail.

2 Likes

Iā€™d be more worried why your charge port is sparking?

Do you have your charger turned on before connecting?

And is your charge circuit isolated from your main power circuit?

3 Likes

So I take it I am the only one here still using barrel jacks for charging at 20s? :face_with_peeking_eye::woozy_face:

3 Likes

Iā€™m using an LP16 connector. Kinda looks like an XLR.

1 Like

Barrel jacks are the devil. Shame.

5 Likes

Yeah but they so easy and they work just fiiiiiine

3 Likes