High speed mountainboard build? The shopping list for now

Obviously. I don’t really see any public venting about 3ds parts or service and they’ve been around for a while so they must be quite ok. I’ll contact the guys as soon as i plan out my budget to reach a deal and buy it on the spot

1 Like

yeah nice and good luck
otherwise moon drives and luna trucks and his hubs coming out this month and @moon has a deal on them

1 Like

Seen them as well and the prices, i’m just set on channels for now. We’ll see soon

1 Like

i thought luna were channels? maybe wrong

also 3ds sell channel trucks

theyre new finality stuff sells channel trucks + rims + drives for 1000euro maybe you could ask for a discount but since its new doubt he will give much

1 Like

They have standard urethane bushings, so not channels imo

2 Likes

ah ok are they just mtb?

1 Like

I think they are close to zero degree, but I think he intends to release them with adjustable baseplates. Could be wrong, haven’t kept up with every post

2 Likes

Yeah, i looked around everything now, the only complete set is at 900€ or £780 for complete trucks, geardrives and proprietary rims. Not really impressed to be honest.

Here’s what i get from trampa, assuming there are 0 parts that i can source second hand in the meantime

Trucks and complete wheels.
Add moon’s £260 drives and i’m only slightly more expensive than 3ds stuff, but with some tyres, tubes and nice colours to personalise my board a bit before it all turns into a nice mud coating

I need to mention that 3ds stuff is before tax and duties paid. That will bring the total close to or over £1000
Trampa’s stuff i specificatlly asked for a quote to get the tax in the total

1 Like

i expect 3ds trashes trampa on wheels (used both and thats my opinion) and dunno about trucks as i havent tried mtb and with gear drives 3ds has outclassed everything for me but never used moon so wouldnt know

i believe 3ds does offer custom anodizing

1 Like

They may be better, haven’t tried them can’t speak about this, but for £1000 i’m getting hypertrucks and moon drives if i really, really want fancy

1 Like

fairs
go for it and im gonna back off now so my tittle doesnt get changed to 3ds fanboy

1 Like

One more thing though, replacement gears are £35, or £40 from moon, shipping from the uk, quite possibly ordered this morning and arrived next day at 12 for like £5 through royal mail.
Shipping 48€ gears from not-uk? Not fun, or fast

2 Likes

Shutter is right there. Luna trucks are almost zero degree RKP

3 Likes

My journey starts with trampa… then rebuying everything with 3ds lol :slight_smile:

Spokes and hubs are pretty… wobbles are not esp with gear drives :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Can you expand a bit on the wobbles?

1 Like

It comes down to how much percision / tolerance you are looking for.
For gear drives precision is alot more important because you don’t have a flexy belt acting as buffer.

The more parts you have the more oppertunity you have with tolerance issues.
In cases of trampa, you have 2 hubs and 2 spokes.
The tolerance of their spokes haven’t been the greatest leading to slight hub wobbles.
Again not a big deal if you are running belts, if you are using gear drives it will cause uneven wear on your gears over time.

And since I have your attention, re flexy deck vs stiff. stiffness generally provides you with more control and predictablity which is usually desired when going “fast”. You see the same in sports car, “sports” suspension are alot harsher because you are trading comfort for predictablity. I have a belt trampa built with springs. Its a fun ride, its light but I wont take it over 30. Its not that its bad, I just find it alot harder then my haero with shockblocks to control at higher speed.

2 Likes

Thanks for the input! What hubs would you personally recommend in the trampa superstar price range? I believe i am quite limited due to moon’s adaptor options.
About the stiffness, coming from a street build it makes sense, it’s just that my feet can’t take much more of these terrible roads. For now it sounds like my new haero deck with 8 inch pneumatics will be a good compromise between stability and comfort

Haero is a great option. Its what I personally ride. Moon can run pretty much everything.

Some options to consider.

@MBS rockster II
MBS fivestar if you want option to go 9inch in the future.
These are two pieces and had been know to be reliable.

@3DServisas is having a sale on all their old hubs

They use the same mounting pattern as superstar
These are super solid but they are on the heavier side though and you need a press to swap out bearings.

2 Likes

Even with the sale those are 200€ before tax, shipping and duties. Damn.

I think i’ll read around about mbs hubs. They’re nothing fancy but for that price and if they’re balanced i’ll be damned if i care

1 Like

You aren’t. I believe my gear drive can run more hubs and trucks than anything else on the market.

I recommend MBS Rockstars for 6.5-8" tyres for people on a budget. I don’t recommend Superstars in any scenario.

4 Likes