High speed mountainboard build? The shopping list for now

Shutter is right there. Luna trucks are almost zero degree RKP

3 Likes

My journey starts with trampa… then rebuying everything with 3ds lol :slight_smile:

Spokes and hubs are pretty… wobbles are not esp with gear drives :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Can you expand a bit on the wobbles?

1 Like

It comes down to how much percision / tolerance you are looking for.
For gear drives precision is alot more important because you don’t have a flexy belt acting as buffer.

The more parts you have the more oppertunity you have with tolerance issues.
In cases of trampa, you have 2 hubs and 2 spokes.
The tolerance of their spokes haven’t been the greatest leading to slight hub wobbles.
Again not a big deal if you are running belts, if you are using gear drives it will cause uneven wear on your gears over time.

And since I have your attention, re flexy deck vs stiff. stiffness generally provides you with more control and predictablity which is usually desired when going “fast”. You see the same in sports car, “sports” suspension are alot harsher because you are trading comfort for predictablity. I have a belt trampa built with springs. Its a fun ride, its light but I wont take it over 30. Its not that its bad, I just find it alot harder then my haero with shockblocks to control at higher speed.

2 Likes

Thanks for the input! What hubs would you personally recommend in the trampa superstar price range? I believe i am quite limited due to moon’s adaptor options.
About the stiffness, coming from a street build it makes sense, it’s just that my feet can’t take much more of these terrible roads. For now it sounds like my new haero deck with 8 inch pneumatics will be a good compromise between stability and comfort

Haero is a great option. Its what I personally ride. Moon can run pretty much everything.

Some options to consider.

@MBS rockster II
MBS fivestar if you want option to go 9inch in the future.
These are two pieces and had been know to be reliable.

@3DServisas is having a sale on all their old hubs

They use the same mounting pattern as superstar
These are super solid but they are on the heavier side though and you need a press to swap out bearings.

2 Likes

Even with the sale those are 200€ before tax, shipping and duties. Damn.

I think i’ll read around about mbs hubs. They’re nothing fancy but for that price and if they’re balanced i’ll be damned if i care

1 Like

You aren’t. I believe my gear drive can run more hubs and trucks than anything else on the market.

I recommend MBS Rockstars for 6.5-8" tyres for people on a budget. I don’t recommend Superstars in any scenario.

4 Likes

@Venom121212 been running mbs forever :slight_smile: maybe he can comment

2 Likes

Thoughts on phatladz? I have seen some poor reviews regarding balance. But i lile the idea of them offering a megastar width with lower weight and price!

2 Likes

No mention of Phatladz here…are they a contender?

1 Like

I have a set :slight_smile:
superstar / phatland / megastar
Whats on my gear drive boards? 3ds and mbs

And yes I test them without tires on.
On my belt drives though I run superstar. The weight saving is nice and its pretty

1 Like

Not heard anything bad and the concept is nice. I have a pair of hubs here but not on a board

2 Likes

Good advice. Makes sense since the fastest a full trampa board can go is like 51km/hr, and that with picking every single part towards speed. Think they’re meant for the 30-40 top speed range where a wobble will be barely noticeable.

Do your hubs run 9 inch wheels as well? I may treat myself later on or even with the drives purchase since i can’t really go wrong with good tolerance cnc parts
Edit: seen the pic, they do

6.5-10"

2 Likes

Next question on the menu: spare tubes. Do i really have to pay £10 every time someone smashes a beer bottle on the bike lane? Is there any place to get them in bulk for cheaper?

2 Likes

I really wanna see those hubs with wheels in the air go from 0 to max speed. Are you able to film this? It should be really obvious if something is out of balance

I stick it on a hanger and just spin them. Btw its not out of balance thats a problem. Thats easy to fix and tires are ALL out of balance. Its when they wobble thats a problem.

1 Like

Fivestars for forever. Cheap, solid, light, takes tires from 5.5-9" just fine and dyeable. Come in black now too.

6 Likes

You bought it all didn’t you

5 Likes