Herringbone Gears Avio MK2 Gear Drive

Nope, just snapped by the looks of it. The drives have never gotten hot durring operation that I have noticed.

4 Likes

Yikes. You’re having hhe worst luck. I’m thinking metal gears would not have saved you, but maybe would have destroyed a bunch more stuff?

Do you think BLDC motor shafts have enough play to do stuff like this? Eek.

1 Like

Pm-ed! No worries, we’ll get you sorted! Would love if you could provide some pictures of the backlash of the other side, or maybe even a video. You can do it via Pm or via this thread!

7 Likes

Videos sent in PM! Thanks for reaching out!

(If anyone else is curious, I can post the video links here. They are not especially interesting :joy:)

9 Likes

I think the real question, here, is did @DerelictRobot have a go on it? there may have been too much weight at once

7 Likes

What the fuck did you do, Prospect? Haha

I’m impressed. I have no idea how you managed this but I feel like I’ve definitely done a lot worse to my straight gears.

@avX these are mod1.5 yeah?

3 Likes

Well there was that one time that @DerelictRobot, @SeanHacker and I were reenacting our ā€œ3 man naked bike rideā€ routine on it… But no, I doubt that was it…

(Jokes, Im the only one who’s rode it. And while im not a springtime gazelle like I once was, Im not a big yeti :wink:)

6 Likes

Haha haha haha… Dude…???

4 Likes

It don gon an esploded

Dad gumit

4 Likes

Damn. That’s a bummer though dude. I’m guessing maybe just a manufacturing defect? I’ve done some fucky shit to my pom gears from waaay too loose to way too tight (learning stuffs) and all in between. Still going great. That gear is crazy looking.

5 Likes

I was talking with @DerelictRobot about this, and what he said made me remember something so I asked my buddy who was there to confirm. We are pretty sure that we both saw it hit a small bump in the road while it was shooting forward so that one wheel popped up in the air for a second. I didnt even take notice of that at the time, but I now suspect that in the brief second that it was in the air, the wheel spun up to full rpm before it came back down and grabbed traction. And, as I have been reliably informed, thats like slamming it into a curb.

Mystery solved, lesson learned, mea culpa.

10 Likes

ā€œIf you’re going to try to do burnouts on your geardrive, you gotta at least have the gonads to stand on the board for the attempt. Fuckin’ Prospects.ā€ - Thomas Jefferson

9 Likes

Thank you for highlighting this very important quote. We unfortunately have fallen victim to a revisionist history that effectively erased all documentation of our founding fathers sick sk8 skills.

Thomas Jefferson was a beast on vert and Ben Franklin made Rodney Mullen look like a tourist with his darkslide

13 Likes

Audio Comparison Straight vs Herringbone

Posting it here – I don’t think Jeff made a mk1 thread on this site.

These are mk1. Sorry, I don’t youtube so I don’t know what I’m doing. Gopro Session 5 in 2.5k@30.

mk1 straight tooth:

The sound tapers off a bit at mid speed, then comes back like a impending sonic boom at high speed. It doesn’t come through completely on video. You kind of feel it in your guts.


mk1 with herringbone (pom):

It’s the same camera, no settings changed. Nothing covering the microphone hole :slight_smile: Amazingly, the high speed sonic boom thing is still there!

@avx :bowing_man:

16 Likes

The package arrived here within two days after it got sent, everything was really well wrapped and organized!
Awesome experience buying from you and Timo, looking forward to assemble your drives and go out!

Thank you !

12 Likes

Thank you @haggyboard.timo! He replaced the broken gear for free! I also bought another new one ao that I can make sure that I am running 2 fresh, non-abused gears. Super fast shipping and excellent service, as always! So excited to get riding again, none of my other boards are exciting after riding this build :rofl:

13 Likes

@avX First off thanks for the awesome drives!
I haven’t been so excited for a long time, the soundlevel is just spot on for Japan. People recognize that I am coming without getting annoyed.
The design and assembly is really nice and easy!
However one question though, I changed from 13 tooth to 15 tooth pulley and when I am tightening the cover there is a lot of friction and I barely can move the wheel and motor by hand. I inspected the cover from the inside and couldn’t find any spot where the gears rub against is. I think I am missing something really obvious here, but would be happy if you could point me in the right direction.

4 Likes

Is backlash appropriate?
Attach wheels and bearings and tighten the axle nut screws.
When everything is fully assembled, the motor gears, drive gears and wheels are all arranged in parallel.
If you don’t wear the wheel, it may not turn.
I had a similar phenomenon, but when fully assembled it rotated as normal.

1 Like

I don’t think you’re missing anything, it should work with a 15T gear just as it should work with a 13T gear. Have you tried what LEE had advised?

1 Like

Yeah, I adjusted the backlash and it’s spinning wonderfully up to the point when I close the cover and tighten it. I will try and give the gears more backlash and see if it’s making a difference.