Herringbone Gears Avio MK2 Gear Drive

What @BenjaminF said. It’s putting in 4 bolts, not 5 though hHa

2 Likes

Damn, so close :rofl:

Thanks @BenjaminF

I assembled it at once.Nice and smooth. It is a very good drive.

23 Likes

So beautiful to see some legit herringbone drives!!

3 Likes

Very nice! How’s the ground clearance on the 110mms?

3 Likes

I have not measured accurately, but probably between 10 and 15mm. I will measure with a ruler later.

Bashguard printed.
I also worried about the ground clearance, so I installed it just in case.

4 Likes

this is like a confusing mix of excitement and agony. like hearing the first kid in your group talk describe touching a boob

11 Likes

Assembly is not so difficult. The grease used the recommended finish line premium grease. Excessive use of this grease increases resistance and causes heavy rotation. The rotation is light when the amount of grease is small.

I am very happy not to use Loctite for the motor gear. When the gears mesh, the motor gear and the drive gear naturally align straight. This will be very helpful in the build. Motor shaft cutting service is also a nice option.

The rotation is smooth but very quiet, especially with the throttle off. Many people will not notice it when approaching behind a passerby on a freeroll.

In a street setup, the 92A is a bit soft. If you run over 50KPH, have to change to a hard bushing. My weight is 75kg. Just good for carving.

Haggy motor cable length and thickness are very good. Not too long, not too short.

10 Likes

Thanks for the nice write up ((: appreciate it.

Really glad you like the drive! Have fun shredding!

3 Likes

It is about 11mm when the bash guard is attached.
Depending on the angle of the motor plate, 1-2mm may be improved.
The motorplate faces upward to protect the motor.
I think it is better to protect the gearbox with bash guard.
Be sure to print the bash guard with TPU filament.
Printing with hard filaments such as ABS, PETG, and PLA will break with a high probability.
Rather than raising the ground height by 1 to 2 mm without a bash guard, a bash guard is more secure.

11 Likes

Have you considered Nylon? It’s hard but still relatively malleable, would skid rather than possibly snag and not shatter.

4 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion!
The weak point of the bash guard is around the screw holes.
The red bashguard on the left side of the image is a 3D Servisas gear drive V3 bashguard printed using hard filament.

The right side of the image is the Avio MK2 bashguard used this time.
The wall around the screw hole is very thin, so I used TPU filament this time.
If the wall around the screw hole is thick, you may have considered nylon filament.
Nylon is stable in shape.

5 Likes

Updated the bashguard, made it slightly thicker on all fronts. (:

The link to the bashguard remains the same, I only changed the file within thingiverse.

12 Likes

Thank you for the wonderful update!
I’ll print in nylon soon!

5 Likes

Awesome! I’m picking up some nylon tomorrow… this will be the first use.

2 Likes

New bash guard printed in nylon. The left is the new bashguard, and the right is the old bashguard. The new bash guard is approximately 2.5mm thick and the old one is about 1.5mm thick.

If the angle of the motor plate is adjusted properly, the combination of the new bash guard and the TB110mm wheel will give a maximum ground clearance of 12mm.

I attached a bash guard.

The rear truck is fitted with only one old Evolve barrel bushing 95A. This has been a good result.

Samsung 40T 12s4p. FOCBOX Unity. 15T Pinion gear. 190KV.
A very comfortable and wonderful board was completed. Sound and brakes are perfect. If you want more speed, I recommend a higher KV motor.

12 Likes

Isn’t there a 15T pinion to swap to? Or have you already done that.

Just wondering, is the sound really very quiet?

Uses 15T pinion gear.

I think the sound is bigger than hub motor and direct drive. But much quieter than straight cut gear.
When the throttle is off, it becomes very quiet.
The sound of throttle on is a pleasant sound.
Comfort is much better than hub motors, and brakes are much better than direct drive.
Avio MK2 is very good in total balance.

8 Likes

Just submitted a form for a pair of drives :grin:

Any eta on the 12t pinions?

4 Likes