Herringbone Gears Avio MK2 Gear Drive

When you get yours, promise me you’ll take a pic of you wearing that and riding the drive. :smiley:

3 Likes

Definitely! The plan from the start was to make them backwards compatible :D.

7 Likes

My Harris tweed? I’m never out of it! :100:

1 Like

Any plans to make these for different trucks?

Question. Will there be anodizing or coating options for the mounting plates like the ones pictured? Or will production be all black to keep prices down?

1 Like

This looks sick, well done Jeff

I’m looking forward on how the aluminum on aluminum lasts, in theory the wear should be worse than steel on nylon, let’s see what real life tells

2 Likes

brilliant execution, Jeff. Really, well done.

fewer parts… self align… I think this is a gear drive worth waiting for.

p.s., pls make red :muscle:

4 Likes

Can we get smaller ones for big thane and 5" pneumatics? Possibly on ratios other than 4:1, maybe some options between 2 and 3 to 1.

7 Likes

Is there such a thing?

1 Like

LOL sorry, that was a typo. 6" pneumatics. I had 150mm in my head because of bergmeisters.

1 Like

I’m interested in the other ratios too. I used 170kv and would like to change it up for more speed less torque but I don’t want to cut more motor shafts to test ratios.

Hm maybe I should just try with cover off.

1 Like

oh man… i can’t imagine what that grease would look like after one ride around my block… lmao

2 Likes

Nope, haha. Just the kahua trucks for now. (:

4 Likes

Uhm, black is also a form of anodizing haha. Different colours can be requested too, it’s just a pain to take in custom orders for different colours,

2 Likes

We can definitely consider it for future production. One thing we have to consider is the cost of the gears, which isn’t exactly cheap, even in large quantities. that being said, i don’t expect to produce many versions of the drive with vastly different gear ratios… right now, we will be focusing on the current ratio of 13:51 and perhaps consider manufacturing different sized pinions of 14:51, 15:51,16:51 etc.

4 Likes

@KfromtheBay that board u raced on in Lancaster, was that these trucks? That was impressive.

3 Likes

Yessir! I was on the OG Forged/Milled Kahuas with V1 @avX gear drive. Ratio 3.75/1.
Have yet to see what the full CNC Kahuas are capable of. Looking forward to it!

6 Likes

If you need prior commitment to do a run of Gears in a different size, I’d have no problem putting my money where my mouth is. The 16:51 is pretty enticing as a possible option

6 Likes

The full CNC kahua trucks will work better with my drive too! (: . I had a hand in desiging the percision version of the Kahua trucks to be more compatible with the Avio Gear Drive too. Do hit @haggyboard.timo up, i think he still has some sets left from the first batch, along with his new, dope AF baseplates.

4 Likes

I’ll have to check on the max pinion size I can fit into the current drive. Right now i know a 12, 13 and 14T pinion fits. Else, i might have to slightly redesign the motor mount for larger pinions ><. (I’ll have to make the motor mounting holes longer for a larger c-c distance.)

1 Like